IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus A/C, The Coldest I have Ever Seen/Felt!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 10:09 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus A/C, The Coldest I have Ever Seen/Felt!!

The thread on the ventilated seats got me to thinking about this.

I use one of those Master Cool Infrared Laser Thermometers and I happened to have it in the car one day while my wife and I were out. It was a 90 degree plus day and the car had been sitting out in the sun.

I told her I was going to go wait in the car. I noticed how quickly the car cooled down and remembered the infrared/laser thermometer in the back seat.

I put it up to the vent......50, 45, 40, 38 degrees....after about two minutes I stopped checking when it got down to 17 degrees coming out of the vent!!

Now you might think the thermometer is out of calibration. I took it home and double checked the calibration with another analog thermometer and a glass of salted ice water. Both reading the same temp, below freezing.

The other day, my friend was asking about the car and I remembered the temperature of the A/C and told him. He was amazed. So, I grabbed the thermometer and proceeded to go check it again to make sure the first time was not a fluke. I stopped taking readings when it hit 20 degrees!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-05-07, 10:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish my GS400's AC was as cold as yours
Old 07-05-07, 10:17 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota's has always been known for cold A/C's.
Old 07-05-07, 10:17 AM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
The thread on the ventilated seats got me to thinking about this.

I use one of those Master Cool Infrared Laser Thermometers and I happened to have it in the car one day while my wife and I were out. It was a 90 degree plus day and the car had been sitting out in the sun.

I told her I was going to go wait in the car. I noticed how quickly the car cooled down and remembered the infrared/laser thermometer in the back seat.

I put it up to the vent......50, 45, 40, 38 degrees....after about two minutes I stopped checking when it got down to 17 degrees coming out of the vent!!

Now you might think the thermometer is out of calibration. I took it home and double checked the calibration with another analog thermometer and a glass of salted ice water. Both reading the same temp, below freezing.

The other day, my friend was asking about the car and I remembered the temperature of the A/C and told him. He was amazed. So, I grabbed the thermometer and proceeded to go check it again to make sure the first time was not a fluke. I stopped taking readings when it hit 20 degrees!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
It would be "cool" to see that on the seat coolers. to see how much of a difference they make and on what vent setting!!
Old 07-05-07, 10:18 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wish my GS400's AC was as cold as yours

Does it seem as cold when you first got it? If not, maybe it just needs a fresh service.

Hopefully it's something minor if there is a problem.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-05-07, 10:28 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nrsk4u
It would be "cool" to see that on the seat coolers. to see how much of a difference they make and on what vent setting!!

Next time I'm out and think about it, I'll spot one of the holes after the car has cooled down and take a reading.

It's very precise.

It's been worth every penny. I bought my dad one and it saved him $360.00 from a repair bill on an ice machine. The repair man kept telling my dad that the machine was working properly and freezing. My dad has had the machine for 15 years and kept telling the guy, "It's not freezing." The guy kept telling him, "It's working properly, sir."

My dad went and got the laser thermometer and told the guy, "Do you want to spot it or do you want me to?" The guy took the thermometer and took a reading (the readings are instantaneous), he proceeded to tear up the repair bill and told my dad he'd have someone else contact him and walked out the door.

Old Oiler
Old 07-05-07, 11:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always found the AC temp setting to be too sensitive.

If I put it in LOW, it's blasting like an arctic storm.
If I put it in 72 degrees, it feels like 65.
If I put it in 76 degrees, it feels like 72...
Old 07-05-07, 11:07 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes its very nice!!!! Its 104 here today and Im gonna need that AC!!!
Old 07-05-07, 11:52 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

In the current 90+ weather, I vary between 72 to 76. If I go down to 70 it's too cold for my taste.
Old 07-05-07, 11:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Does it seem as cold when you first got it? If not, maybe it just needs a fresh service.

Hopefully it's something minor if there is a problem.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
I got a shop to check it out. there's no leak and the freon level is good.

It's not as cold unless I drive for a bit to run the compressor.

But I leave the setting at 65 degrees (max cool). My mom's honda odyssey gets instant cold air right from the start

Anyone know if the brand of freon makes a difference?

Anyways, I'm going to have to hop in an IS to see how much colder it is. I could use some fresh cold air in this hot weather
Old 07-05-07, 11:57 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm weird, I use it around 66-70. 70 at night and 66 at day in the 90+ temperature. Not cold enough for me, then again I am a guy that sweats easily.
Old 07-05-07, 12:00 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Hmm weird, I use it around 66-70. 70 at night and 66 at day in the 90+ temperature. Not cold enough for me, then again I am a guy that sweats easily.

I there with you. I am extremely hot natured, but this car will keep me cool. I've noticed as I've gotten older it's not as bad, but I can still sit in a cold room comfortable without a shirt and everyone else has a throw blanket on them.

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 07-05-07 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-05-07, 12:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I guess i have the same syndrome. I walk around at night in 40 degree weather with nothing but boxers on, and it feels great
Old 07-05-07, 01:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Are you talking 17 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? In comfort cooling applications, it would be extremely unusual to run an evaporator core temperature much below 33F due to the likelihood of condensate freezing on the coils (reducing heat transfer and blocking airflow).
Old 07-05-07, 01:40 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are you talking 17 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? In comfort cooling applications, it would be extremely unusual to run an evaporator core temperature much below 33F due to the likelihood of condensate freezing on the coils (reducing heat transfer and blocking airflow).
It was Fahrenheit. If it were Celsius it would have been coming out of the vent around the low 60's in Fahrenheit and in 90 plus degree temps would have had a hard time cooling the car.

I agree with you on the condensate freezing. I've been in a car before that did that and it effectively stops the car from cooling inside, you have to turn it off and let it melt.

I know it sounds crazy, I could not believe it myself! That's why I double checked it.

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Quick Reply: Lexus A/C, The Coldest I have Ever Seen/Felt!!