Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 09:53 AM
NPitz14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Beware

Dear All:
For the past month I've exhausted my patience with Lexus in attempt to right the wrong they've saddled me with.

The bottom line is the engine in my new Lexus IS 350 was fried in an unfortunate and unavoidable collision with an animal. This happened on June 3rd of this year. Since then Lexus has identified that my engine is fried and the car won't, can't drive... Beyond that, well, they haven't done much.

Simply put it has taken them 30+ days to give me the run around, avoid me, not fix my car, not initiate the rebuild or replacement of a new engine for me and heaven forbid provide me with a loaner. All the while I continue to make my car and insurance payments for a car I'm not driving.

It's now been over a month since I last drove my car, unfortunately with no apparent end in sight.

Funny thing is, as I understand it, this how they treat guests in their home... or so says their covenant.

"Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our home." as posted on their site.

I've detailed my experiences here:
http://dontbuyalexus.blogspot.com/

I am not trying to post negative propaganda, just the facts in hopes of informing my fellow consumers.

Had I know I'd have to endure this I would have never purchased from Lexus.
Old 07-11-07, 10:04 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if your car is undrivable due to the accident, then your insurance is giving you a runaround for not totalling your car???
Old 07-11-07, 10:09 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Certainly Lexus cannot be responsible for damage you caused, and provide you with a free car for 8 months. That's totally unrealistic in my opinion. Also completely unrealistic to expect a dealer to pull an engine out of a car they have sitting for sale on their lot.

My bigger question is this: What exactly is "fried"??? That describes nothing. Is it a cracked block? Is it snapped rods? Cracked pistons? What type of damage is there that warrants a completely built factory engine?

I would certainly think that the engine could be rebuilt far faster than the 8 month wait for a new engine. Who's demanding a new engine? Is it you? Or your insurance?

Have you discussed with your insurance the feasability of of a rebuild?

Have you discussed with your insurance the "loss of use" value? As well as "loss of value sum"? You may be able to get them to total the car based on those additional values.

I really think you should be fighting your insurance company on this one... not lexus.
Old 07-11-07, 10:11 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats your insurance company dude. Thats what your paying insurance for... why would lexus give you a loaner? why do you think its the dealers responsibility?
Old 07-11-07, 10:12 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the responsibility of a loaner should be on your insurance or the animal that got in your way. Seems like your anger is a little misplaced. As many people on the forum knows, significant car repairs are very lengthy and variable in time...

It's kind of pointless going on a Lexus owner's forum telling them not to buy a Lexus. We all have direct experience in buying a Lexus, so we'll be going on that impression more than anything else.
Old 07-11-07, 10:13 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

I bet this guy will never post here again...

*sniff sniff* i smell a troll...
Old 07-11-07, 10:21 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read his blog, and I think at least half his anger should be directed at Progressive because even if Lexus provided him a loaner, he'd still be *****ing that he's making car payments on a lesser car. The real problem here is his insurance not getting him a new car for an 8 month repair job, on a 4500 mile car.

Reading his blog, I can see why he's pissed, but he's pissed at and badmouthing the wrong people.
Old 07-11-07, 10:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default Who is paying for the repairs? You or your insurance company?

Discuss the situation with your insurance company, not Lexus.

If you are willing to pay for the repairs upfront (without insurance intervention), then yes, I would be mad that if Lexus is taking forever to fix it.

However, if insurance is twiddling their thumbs as you drive around in a loaner car, then that is your insurance company's fault.

Good luck in fixing your car. Go through the right avenues to address your concerns...
Old 07-11-07, 10:33 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think you understand where is your position right now, between Lexus and your insurance company. Like other have stated above, you should've express your anger toward your insurance company. There's nothing lexus can do for you on this one. I suggest, call your insurance and ask them for a loaner. If they don't give you one, you should look for a lawyer and chase after your insurance company (NOT LEXUS OK?).
Old 07-11-07, 10:40 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

sounds like an insurance probelm dude
Old 07-11-07, 10:41 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the engine was defective, then Lexus should be responsible for a loaner car for as long as it took them to make the repairs. Since an accident with a racoon is not covered, it's you or your insurance company's responsibility for a loaner car in the interim.

Lexus/Toyota does have great customer service. As I recall, when the new camrys and es350's were having tranny troubles, Lexus/Toyota replaced the cars with new ones because it was their fault, not a racoon's.

While I think 5-8 months to receive a new engine for replacement is indeed ridiculous, it's not unheard of. I had a bud who needed a door panel for his g35. Infiniti said 4-6 months for a replacement. His G sat at the repair shop for over 4 months as he couldn't even find one in a junkyard. Luckily, he had another car to use in the interim.
Old 07-11-07, 10:43 AM
NPitz14
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate everyone's feedback and must say am a bit shocked at the responses.

First and foremost the car was towed to Alverson Lexus in Lubbock where they determined the engine was "fried". Basically they said that upon acceleration the engine heats-up way too fast and that it can't be fixed. They said the only solution is to build a new engine.

Which, because it's a 2007 with 4,500 miles on it they won't be able to build any sooner than 5-8 months.

Progressive's policy is that they can provide a rental replacement for 30 days or up to $900. Lexus went back and forth with me, basically stringing me along as if to say they might have a quicker solution or they may be able to tow my car back to Chicago for about three weeks.

Yesterday they advised me they can do nothing for me in regards to a loaner, moving the car, etc. So they essentially pushed back the reconstruction of my new engine a month.

My beef with Lexus is that they can't provide a new engine quick enough. And I am paying for a Lexus so why should I not be driving one? Someone asked why Lexus would give me a loaner.

Well, if you lost your Lexus for 8 months but had to continue making payments to Lexus for it wouldn't you want to drive a Lexus?

Progressive is paying for the new engine, they are doing their part.

Lexus is getting paid and the new engine isn't costing them anything. So yeah, I believe Lexus should be responsible for providing me a loaner at the level of car I'm paying for.

I think that is fair. I'm in this position because Lexus can't replace my engine in a timely matter.
Old 07-11-07, 10:49 AM
mir
Driver

This is a lose lose situation for you and do feel your pain. But I do not think the situation would be any different had you bought some other car instead of lexus. I do not think even having higher end lexus would had made a difference.

What Lexus could/should had done is give you a speedy answer that the car can not be fixed and engine must be replaced. As far as paying premium goes, I do not think you have to keep on paying the premium. Did progressive tell you that? Once the car is fixed and ready you can resume your payment for insurance.
Old 07-11-07, 10:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

now i don't know all the intimate details of your unfortunate circumstance, but since it sounds like you're going through your insurance company, they - the insurance company, not lexus - is supposed to be setting you up in situations like this.

IMO you're in this position because you either circumvented your insurance company - and not allowed them to do what they're supposed to do (read: get you a loaner car or a free rental while your car is out of commission) or you're jumping the gun and not realizing that there's probably more backchannel communication going on than what you've been led to believe.

if i were you, i'd go to your insurance company and DEMAND that they set you up w/ a complimentary rental/loaner while your car is in the shop and until your car is returned to you.
Old 07-11-07, 11:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Lexus is clearly not responsible to provide you a loaner for 8 months, your insurance is. To demand that of them is ludicrous IMO. They're getting paid to fix your car, not provide you months of free transportation because you wrecked it. That's your insurance's job.

From the facts you gave, why don't you put the 12,000 mile motor in and then have them swap it when the new one arrives in 5 - 8 months.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware