IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Viper Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 05:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Bigrahizzl don't diminished the value of the car with an aftermarket alarm system. The stock system is probably better than 99% of anything out there.

a big +1 !!
Old 07-12-07, 05:53 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to myer emcco. I heard they did some audio installation for some Redskins player.
Old 07-12-07, 06:54 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

If your interested in Radar Detector then get the Beltronics STI Driver. It is the only one to be undetectable by police. It cost around 450$ US. From the reviews I have read it is one of the top performing. I have using mine for two months now I love it.

http://www.laserveil.com/beltronics/bel/sti-driver/

Last edited by phatboyc; 07-12-07 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 07:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first i would only go to a custom shop. i dont know it i would trust best buy. your dealer may have someone that does aftermarket installs but they will mark it up thru service. this can be done and there must be a place that will do it for you.

they wanted 400 in IL to do it but i backed out as i was interested in the factory key that was posted on here. now that its nice outside and not cold i have put it off for now.

this was simply a remote start and nothing more that i was looking at. most of the cost is becuase of the install. most places wanted 600+ around here to do this for me. i had this shop install remoted starts in my other cars so they where willing to work and had done this on another toyota/lexus so i knew it would work with our key fob. you just will loose one of the keys. i wanted that to have a more factory installed system and have one key fob that would control everything. i was even going to try the key fob with the aftermarket system to see if it would work. i just couldnt spend that money to only find out i just purchased a paper weight that was useless to me. this didnt go anywhere and no one has tested to see if it will work on our cars.

good luck in your search, i would think you can find a custom shop that will do both the radar and remote start for less since you are givin them more business. please post us when you have this done!!!!
Old 07-12-07, 08:12 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
BEST BUY!!!! Man I wouldnt let that place touch my brand new Lexus! They hire a bunch of kids who dont know anything about cars! Isnt there a more professional shop around you that you could get it done at? They might even get you a better deal on it too!
+ 1 to this...Dont go to best buy or circuit city...They don't know what they are doing, on top of that, they do nasty job. Last time I bought my cousin car to install an amp and a sub, when we take the car home, I have to reinstall everything.
Old 07-12-07, 09:03 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spin
you should have jiffy lube install your alarm

But honestly, I wouldn't suggest a viper/clifford alarm system on our cars, i had it on my 2005 BMW 3 series and that alarm was a NIGHT MARE. SOooooo many problems with the pager and the pager battary dies within days.

My biggest problem was sometimes id be standing RIGHT in front of the car pressing the unlock button and it would not unlock, i thought maybe the key **** battery died or something, so I tried opening the door handle to see if maybe the car was just unlocked or something, the alarm would go off and I would not be able to turn the alarm off. This one time happen at work when I was going to lunch with a bunch of my girl co-workers and it was sooo embarassing. This happened atleast 3-4 times, when I took it to the shop that installed it they would just reset it and didn't know what to do with it. Eventually that shop (Basic Sound in Miami) and I noticed a few other local shops stopped carrying viper and clifford alarm systems because of the headaches from them.

Plus also, i noticed with the lexus, if you walk too close to your lexus without unlocking it first through the Alarm key **** and if your car automatically unlocks that will cause the alarm to go off all the time.

As a previous owner of the viper alarm system I rate it a 1 out of 10 and would highly not recommend it to anyone, I have been trying to see if lexus offers a OEM alarm system to add to it.

Just my $0.02.
Basic Sounds sucks the big one. I don't know how those guys are still in business.

I had a Viper 791xv alarm installed in my Acura TL-S at JR Electronics and it worked perfectly.
Old 07-12-07, 12:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Guys i know there good and bad, and this is a main reson i asked about it. But i dont see how i would dimish the value other than void the warranty. But im gonna call my dealer and see what he says. If i can buy the alarm system and let them install it then it would be good but im shopping around for information so it will take a while for me to make my mind up. But i have $600 and i was wondeirng what i should spend it on for the car. First i thougt about a Valentine 1 but I live in VA and i dont think ill touch that. And then now this alarm. Dont know, What do u guys suggest i should get.
honestly, i would not touch anything that's with ignition as you are opening a can of worms down the road.......