IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Viper Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 02:49 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Alarm System

Guys Im PLanning on getting the Viper alarm system with remote start. Has ne one installed it in thier IS. How does it work, Ne problems. And can it be installed on the IS since its button start and hand sensor unlocking system.

THANKS
Old 07-11-07, 03:45 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Guys Im PLanning on getting the Viper alarm system with remote start. Has ne one installed it in thier IS. How does it work, Ne problems. And can it be installed on the IS since its button start and hand sensor unlocking system.

THANKS
sorry to tell you but you cant install remote start cause they havent invented the bypass yet. but if your getting the viper alarm ask them to install the option where you could roll up your window with the viper remote.
Old 07-11-07, 03:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

people have installed remote start and it can be done. i believe if you do a search there is a post on how it works. something to do with the battery. just make sure the shop knows what they are doing and ask questions before they install it. you loose one key fob in the process so you may want to get a back up one and make sure they are all programmed before you have the install as you wont be able to use the keyfob they need to do the install.

good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-11-07, 04:09 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Well ill ask the guy at BEST BUY since im planning on getting it from there. Its $504.99(INstall INcluded). But yea i hope they know what they are doing and can get it installed. I just hope the remote starter works. I guess its all about knowing how to do it.
Old 07-11-07, 04:14 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BEST BUY!!!! Man I wouldnt let that place touch my brand new Lexus! They hire a bunch of kids who dont know anything about cars! Isnt there a more professional shop around you that you could get it done at? They might even get you a better deal on it too!
Old 07-11-07, 04:16 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
BEST BUY!!!! Man I wouldnt let that place touch my brand new Lexus! They hire a bunch of kids who dont know anything about cars! Isnt there a more professional shop around you that you could get it done at? They might even get you a better deal on it too!
Sounds just like someone said about that Jiffy Lube place HAHA.
Old 07-11-07, 04:20 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

LOL Jiffy Lube. But i dont know man, Best Buy is the only Place i have in mind but i guess ill look around. And you are right they do hire some kids. But yea thanks for reminding me dude thats why i came here for some suggestions.
Old 07-11-07, 06:05 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spin
you should have jiffy lube install your alarm

But honestly, I wouldn't suggest a viper/clifford alarm system on our cars, i had it on my 2005 BMW 3 series and that alarm was a NIGHT MARE. SOooooo many problems with the pager and the pager battary dies within days.

My biggest problem was sometimes id be standing RIGHT in front of the car pressing the unlock button and it would not unlock, i thought maybe the key **** battery died or something, so I tried opening the door handle to see if maybe the car was just unlocked or something, the alarm would go off and I would not be able to turn the alarm off. This one time happen at work when I was going to lunch with a bunch of my girl co-workers and it was sooo embarassing. This happened atleast 3-4 times, when I took it to the shop that installed it they would just reset it and didn't know what to do with it. Eventually that shop (Basic Sound in Miami) and I noticed a few other local shops stopped carrying viper and clifford alarm systems because of the headaches from them.

Plus also, i noticed with the lexus, if you walk too close to your lexus without unlocking it first through the Alarm key **** and if your car automatically unlocks that will cause the alarm to go off all the time.

As a previous owner of the viper alarm system I rate it a 1 out of 10 and would highly not recommend it to anyone, I have been trying to see if lexus offers a OEM alarm system to add to it.

Just my $0.02.
^^^^ There is some valid points too, he makes some true and good statements!
Old 07-11-07, 06:30 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spin
you should have jiffy lube install your alarm

But honestly, I wouldn't suggest a viper/clifford alarm system on our cars, i had it on my 2005 BMW 3 series and that alarm was a NIGHT MARE. SOooooo many problems with the pager and the pager battary dies within days.

My biggest problem was sometimes id be standing RIGHT in front of the car pressing the unlock button and it would not unlock, i thought maybe the key **** battery died or something, so I tried opening the door handle to see if maybe the car was just unlocked or something, the alarm would go off and I would not be able to turn the alarm off. This one time happen at work when I was going to lunch with a bunch of my girl co-workers and it was sooo embarassing. This happened atleast 3-4 times, when I took it to the shop that installed it they would just reset it and didn't know what to do with it. Eventually that shop (Basic Sound in Miami) and I noticed a few other local shops stopped carrying viper and clifford alarm systems because of the headaches from them.

Plus also, i noticed with the lexus, if you walk too close to your lexus without unlocking it first through the Alarm key **** and if your car automatically unlocks that will cause the alarm to go off all the time.

As a previous owner of the viper alarm system I rate it a 1 out of 10 and would highly not recommend it to anyone, I have been trying to see if lexus offers a OEM alarm system to add to it.

Just my $0.02.
I have to defend the Viper alarm/remote start a little bit here. I have it installed on my wife's 4Runner and we have no problems at all. Everything works great. Of course we don't have to deal with keyless entry/start so that makes things easier. The battery lasts about 6 months. My wife loves the remote start feature and that is the main reason we got it. I had it installed by a professional shop.
Old 07-11-07, 07:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't let ANYONE except Lexus tap into the ignition/wiring of my car. Warranty issues here could be huge. say your little $300 alarm screws up and melts some OEM wires/harnesses. I had it happen with an UNGO....
Old 07-11-07, 07:15 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i wonder if you can inport the one you can get in japan for our cars?
Old 07-11-07, 07:32 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slowandlow
i wonder if you can inport the one you can get in japan for our cars?

So far no one tried.

see post #15 from JavyLSU

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=remote+start
Old 07-11-07, 07:34 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Bigrahizzl don't diminished the value of the car with an aftermarket alarm system. The stock system is probably better than 99% of anything out there.
Old 07-11-07, 08:10 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Guys i know there good and bad, and this is a main reson i asked about it. But i dont see how i would dimish the value other than void the warranty. But im gonna call my dealer and see what he says. If i can buy the alarm system and let them install it then it would be good but im shopping around for information so it will take a while for me to make my mind up. But i have $600 and i was wondeirng what i should spend it on for the car. First i thougt about a Valentine 1 but I live in VA and i dont think ill touch that. And then now this alarm. Dont know, What do u guys suggest i should get.
Old 07-11-07, 10:09 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

ahhhh stay away from best buy or circuit city any of those places to have your things installed....they do the crappest work and they just half *** it since down the road you get problems they wont warrenty unless u buy another warrenty from them for the same price as the thing they installed
i had this problem when they installed a viper alarm system in my dads 4runner man did it suck and it broke two days later and they said it was our fault...we had to get a laywer and crap to fight it and we won :P but stay awayyy...i would stick to stock alarm right now if i were you

Quick Reply: Viper Alarm System