IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Infinity ahead of Lexus in tech package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 09:07 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

though some of it would be nice to have and to show off w/, i'm not too big on cars stuffed w/ in-car technology, especially technology that requires reading (and possibly memorizing) a manual the size of a college calculus textbook.

at the end of the day, unless it directly contributes to my driving experience, it's probably not THAT necessary.

however, i subscribe to the school of thought that "it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have"...
Old 07-11-07, 09:33 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the OP...

I considered the new G35 S when I was looking for a new car. My test drive experience was horrible, and the car felt like crap versus the IS350 that I test drove just 40 minutes before the G35. Lexus wins hands down, and Infiniti can put their extra gadgets where the sun doesn't shine. My G35 test drive experience went like this...

1) I arrive at the Infiniti dealer and roam around the front of the building looking at the cars parked near the windows. Salesmen are inside having coffee, and know I'm out there on the lot, yet no one comes out to show me the car. 15 minutes later, the sales manager happens to walk out, and I flag him down. He finds a salesmen who then finds the fully loaded G35 S that I was looking for.

2) Salesman says he's going inside to get the keys, but never comes back. Another salesman shows up and tells me that he will be helping me. He then goes back to get the keys. By this time, my wife and I are getting irritated. We have to pay a babysitter to be able to go out and test drive cars, and these buffoons were wasting our time and money.

3) Salesman shows up and hands me the intelligent key, which isn't really intelligent at all. You still have to push a button on the door handle to unlock the car, unlike Lexus where you simply put your hand on the handle. I then adjust the mirrors, no problem. I then try to adjust the seats, and could barely reach the seat controls, as you have to twist your left hand in an awkward position to get to them.

4) As I drive off with the salesman, I noticed that the 306hp engine didn't have the same punch as the IS350. I also noticed that the handling was nowhere near the IS350. Hence, the G35's bark is bigger than its bite.

5) Interior controls, and interior in general looked very plastic and cheap. I knew right then that I would not be buying this car.

6) Salesman had me take the shorter test drive route, and I told him that the drive wasn't long enough for me to make a buying decision. He didn't seem to care, as he was about to get off of work, and wanted to get back to the dealership (he actually said he needed to get back so that he could go home).

Overall, I could not see myself buying that car, and it doesn't have the looks that appeal to me. I would buy a Lexus over an Infiniti on any given day.
Old 07-11-07, 10:17 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but u know what we beat them in interior :P man next thing u know it lexus will have the car drive it self for you before nissan :P
Old 07-11-07, 10:45 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I too considered the new G35 sedan. Yes the G35 may have newer gadgets but everytime I see one on the road I'm so glad I got the IS, the G35 looks still doesn't excite me at all.
Old 07-11-07, 10:55 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Let them have there gadgets we have an overall better car and its dated 2 years. Goes to show you how good infiniti really is. The g35/g37 is marketed to a much younger gen then the is. Think about how you cab get a younger child to come somewhere or be good you will give them candy or a toy. Thats all infiniti is doing throwing as many toys in there cars as they can so the 17 18 19 yr old kids say hey i got this and your car doesnt when the truth is thats all they really have over us. All great options and i hope our is one day has them too. For now we can be happier with a better car.
Old 07-11-07, 11:59 PM
fdelement
Driver

G35S and IS350 were both my top choice of cars to get. On paper I really felt like the G35S had a slight edge over the IS350 in terms of tech. I also personally liked the style better too and it has bigger interior. But as soon as I test drove both cars I knew I wanted the IS350. G transmission is crap, doesn't handle as well and the 300+ Hp felt like 200. Did I also mention the G depreciates like a domestic.

ultimately when I'm in a car, i'm driving it so all other amenities like navi, BT, ipod hook-up are just icing on the cake.
Old 07-12-07, 02:14 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Infiniti is trying real hard to up class its image and I think they are on the right track. The features in the new G35 Sedan is really impressive. Not just the HD, or CF slot, or voice control nav/climate, or the standard A/V AUX inputs in the center console, but the entire car itself is impressive.

I test drove the car on Monday that had the premium and sports package and it was great. So great, I'm selling my 99 LS400 for either an 07 G35 if I get a great deal, or an 08 when it comes out later this year.

As for dealership experience, as I pointed out above, I think Infiniti is trying real hard to bring up its image and it is working. My whole 2 hour experience with them even if I didn't buy the car yet was much better than my new car buying experience at Lexus. Lexus was good, Infiniti was good as well, but they were willing to do a lot more for me like take the car home for 48 hours. I know many dealers do this, but not our local Lexus dealer. So at least in my area they are on par with the top tier luxury brands.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-12-07 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 02:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fdelement
G transmission is crap, doesn't handle as well and the 300+ Hp felt like 200. Did I also mention the G depreciates like a domestic.

ultimately when I'm in a car, i'm driving it so all other amenities like navi, BT, ipod hook-up are just icing on the cake.
Interesting you came away with that feeling. I know the 290HP V8 in my LS isn't exactly a HP and torque monster, but I thought the VQ35 in the G35 was great even compared to the one in my LS. The 5-Speed trans in the G also felt just as good as my LS. In fact, I liked everything about the engine and trans. Lots of power and much faster responding trans than any Lexus I've owned thus far.

Infiniti's from past history always depreciated more than the competition, but the G and M cars have held up very well if not just about on par with the competition.

In really like Lexus over all. I've only owned 4 of them so far though, but I also like the G35 very much.
Old 07-12-07, 02:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Let them have there gadgets we have an overall better car and its dated 2 years. Goes to show you how good infiniti really is. The g35/g37 is marketed to a much younger gen then the is. Think about how you cab get a younger child to come somewhere or be good you will give them candy or a toy. Thats all infiniti is doing throwing as many toys in there cars as they can so the 17 18 19 yr old kids say hey i got this and your car doesnt when the truth is thats all they really have over us. All great options and i hope our is one day has them too. For now we can be happier with a better car.
Everyone has a different opinion as to which is the better car. That said, I think you have it backwards that the G is for the younger drivers than the IS. Since I'm in my mid 30s with a family, I see the IS as the young persons car and the G as the more family practical car. Even the exterior looks of the IS caters more toward what the younger buyer might like.
Old 07-12-07, 04:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex5150
Hi everyone,

Is Lexus behind Infinity in their tech package? I notice the new G35's have real time traffic, a 9.3 GB internal hard drive, a more comprehensive voice activated control panal system which will also control nav, climate, stereo and bluetooth. Infinity has a compact flash slot to add songs and update the nav system. Also the 08 Infinities are supposed to have a true ipod jack where you can control the ipod from the nav screen. Not to mention their nav system is 3D. From what I understand Lexus lacks all of these. Am I wrong? thanks!
Personally, I didn't like that bird's eye view of on the Inifiti nav. The hard drive is cool, but you couldn't just upload your iPod directly to the car. The voice activated commands sound cooler than they are--do you really need to TELL the A/C to lower the tempature by 2 degrees? Chances are the voice recognition system will mess it up--and there are SO many different commands, the likelihood you can remember what the all are is low.
Old 07-12-07, 05:35 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Personally, I didn't like that bird's eye view of on the Inifiti nav. The hard drive is cool, but you couldn't just upload your iPod directly to the car. The voice activated commands sound cooler than they are--do you really need to TELL the A/C to lower the tempature by 2 degrees? Chances are the voice recognition system will mess it up--and there are SO many different commands, the likelihood you can remember what the all are is low.

Good point. Most of the features coming out on new luxury cars, or even just regular cars are really not needed. Dual Climate Control? I have it but never use it. What we like about luxury or near luxury cars are all the useless features and tech we get though. Nobody needs a Lexus LS that can park itself, but it sure is cool
Old 07-12-07, 06:01 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

If you ask me its all about Image! Customer looks at all options compared to other carmakers and the infiniti looks PIMP on paper. The truth is, is that in reality infiniti has nothing on lexus. Id rather take reliability, great interior and good looks over some overpriced fancy center console, cheap interior any day of the week. Look at ford. Ford is putting in some new console designed by microsoft to compete with the tech in asian cars. Just a gimmick to sway buyers into buying some crap that will be outdated in 5 years. I mean do you honestly want to be driving just to see the blue screen of death. Then have to stop and restart your car Yea not cool.

Last edited by nn432100; 07-12-07 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 09:41 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nn432100
If you ask me its all about Image! Customer looks at all options compared to other carmakers and the infiniti looks PIMP on paper.
nn is right. I had 2 g35's before the IS and I would never go back. Infiniti gives you a lot of sizzle but very little substance. The corners that are cut to offer the car at the price they do will become very apparent after a couple months of ownership.
Old 07-12-07, 10:00 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

yeah I test drove the infinit 30 mins after test driving the lexus, the lexus was so smooth and it like I was gliding, while the infiniti was just too much noise for me, Im sure some people will like that kind of stuff though. Plus the gadgets like the hard drive and flash thing just felt unnecessary and im a hard core gadget junkie

Last edited by Yay-Z; 07-12-07 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 10:09 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if Infiniti is ahead of Lexus in tech package, but I don't understand why iPod or aux input is not available for my 07 GS350, and instead I have a tape deck???

Quick Reply: Infinity ahead of Lexus in tech package?