IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

subs affecting my performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 11:55 AM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I skimmed it and gleaned that caps don't help in the performance of the system (i.e. it won't thump any louder) but that's not the point. The point is to create a buffer between the largest consumer of current and the source of current to prevent damage to your electrical system. There is of course a performance penalty to be paid by protecting your system as any component in a 'circuit' adds resistance. But, our cars would also go a lot faster without the weight of steel cages, airbags, seatbelts, etc....that doesn't mean its the most intelligent thing in the world to drive without them, right?

Am I wrong? Again, haven't played with this stuff in a long time, so this is curiousity for curiousity's sake.
Old 07-13-07, 04:38 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

actuley you are wrong a cap will draw more juce from the alt. so if your alt cant keep it filled then you are in trubble.
in lay mans turms lets think of your curent as water and voltage as presure your battery as a bucket and the amp as the spicket, and the alt as your water pump.

so adding a cap is like adding a bucket with will call for water so it will do nothing for you if your alt cant suply the water to the cap and bat
Old 07-13-07, 06:17 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Well, the only reason that the cap needs to be filled is when the amp draws power from it. Remove the cap, and the amp draws straight from the battery....so if the alternator/battery can't keep the cap filled, then by extension, it won't be able to keep the amp powered, right?

I don't think I agree with your argument.
Old 07-14-07, 07:52 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tt061880
DO NOT GET A CAPACITOR!!! First of all, upgrade your ground wire. If that doesn't help, upgrade your wiring in the engine. By that I mean get some 1/0 AWG wire, run one wire from the Alternator Postive to the BAttery Positive. Battery Negative to Chassis, Chassis to engine block. IF the wiring upgrade doesn't help, upgrade your battery, the Alternator should be the last upgrade if everythign else fail.

A capacitor is a waste of money. Ask any true audio enthusiast, they will tell you the same thing. I don't want to get into why a cap is a waste of money but in lay man saying, a cap isn't the samething as a battery. Putting a cap in there does more harm than good, it'll put more stress on your alternator. All a cap does is to store electricity. If you alternator is weak, where are you going to get electricity to store? A capacitor is all for show, go do some more research before you decide to put one in there.
I completely agree!!! Caps are waste of time and money.