IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Sport-tuned suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 06:27 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default IS 350 Sport-tuned suspension

What differences does the Sport-tuned suspension make in the feel and drivability of the IS 350. Does it provide a truely sporty ride or is it not noticeable. I have been contemplating the sport package with the Sport-tuned suspension vs the luxury package without it.
Old 07-13-07, 06:39 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a better ride, and a bit to rough for some, but decidedly not a tight sport car ride. The only way you'll know for sure is to drive both, back to back.

Doing a search on sport suspension will give you lots of opinions.
Old 07-13-07, 07:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm happy with my sports suspesion, yes. Would i be happy without my sports suspension, yes. Its all good

I hope that clears it up cuz thats the simplest answer.
Old 07-13-07, 07:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's definitely a firmer, more planted drive, with a seemingly quicker turn-in response. It is not overly firm, but you can tell the difference between the standard and the sports suspension if you drive them back-to-back. There is a better connection feel between the car and the road. Try both, although with a typical 'around the block' test drive it may be difficult to truly feel the difference.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-13-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 10:11 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Well, it really no different than taking a normal car and dropping some performance springs (Eibach) on it. For example I did this on my Acura TL Type S. It was about a 1 inch drop over stock and the car handled amazingly different. It was a lot firmer in corners and the handling of the car came out (especially replacing the crap tires they put on the TL). This would be just about the same as going from a luxo package with 17" rims to the sport package with 18" rims. If you like to hit it hard in the car a lot its well worth it. If you bought a 300 hp car to drive it like granny, then its not for you
The difference would get a lot more noticeable as you start really pushing it and on a track, almost required. At the same time, your car "ride" becoems a lot stiffer and not so "smooth" on normal driving.
Old 07-13-07, 10:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
If you bought a 300 hp car to drive it like granny, then its not for you
I drive granny like, on the rare times i take the garage queen out
Old 07-13-07, 10:48 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I drive granny like, on the rare times i take the garage queen out
It's because we live on an island. We got no place to go!

Aloha,
Larry
Old 07-13-07, 11:19 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's basically a half eibach setup. ping caymandive for detailed questions. He has that setup, but right now is currently looking for a good price on eibachs to go ahead and drop it to the proper amount.
Old 07-14-07, 02:45 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

I am currenty driving a 2005 Camry LE V6 (I got it cheap at an auction) . Toyota did an excellent job with this car; smooth, quiet BUT it's a boring for me.. I don't want the same feel as the Camry. Too bad.. the Lexus doesn't include Sport Tuned Suspension as an option.
Old 07-14-07, 02:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I am currenty driving a 2005 Camry LE V6 (I got it cheap at an auction) . Toyota did an excellent job with this car; smooth, quiet BUT it's a boring for me.. I don't want the same feel as the Camry. Too bad.. the Lexus doesn't include Sport Tuned Suspension as an option.
Err... huh? Which Lexus are you talk about that doesnt offer a sport tuned suspension?
Old 07-14-07, 03:03 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Err... huh? Which Lexus are you talk about that doesnt offer a sport tuned suspension?

They include sport tuned suspension in a "package" (ie.. Sport Package, X- Package) but not an accessory option.
Old 07-14-07, 03:48 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
They include sport tuned suspension in a "package" (ie.. Sport Package, X- Package) but not an accessory option.
X-package isn't that expensive, or comprehensive.. If you want the sport tuned suspension just get that package, and consider the rest of the stuff (wheels, scuff plates, pedals, and front lip) as 'free'.
Old 10-28-07, 04:49 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Sport suspension models also get a revised steering rack with a slightly different gear ratio (13.6:1 vs 13.5:1)
Old 10-28-07, 05:48 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I can chime in on this topic since I drive an 08 IS350 with the sport suspension.

My findings: The sport suspension is pretty good. It is tight and flat-->very minimal body roll in turns, not harsh over bumps and zero floating, no loose feel, good feedback from the road. I drove a non-sport IS350 at the dealership and the difference in the sport vs. non-sport is noticable. The non-sport was looser and floated more. Also, the steering in the sport seems to be more direct, perhaps due to the slight drop.

What I don't like about the OEM sport: There is a bit to much gap in the wheel well. Just for that reason alone, I may go with an aftermarket set up. I plan on keeping the 18" G-Spiders.
Old 10-28-07, 09:27 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

what about the IS250 awd? do you guys know if the sport suspension will fit? do they even make one for it?

Quick Reply: IS 350 Sport-tuned suspension