IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First (and Second) Look: Falken Tire IS350 Drift Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 05:01 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to bump a thread from the dead to clear up a few questions. We used an IS350 platform because it was given to us from Toyota to build this project. This is a Falken owned car with discount tire being the title sponsor. We fabricated alot on this car to make it more drift worthy. The suspension is now fully adjustable with full camber and toe in/out functions. We developed alot of parts to work with the 2GR engine (you should see the custom manifold we have!) but hit a HUGE road block with the 12 injector system. We found out there is no standalone on the market right now that will work in stages to control the injectors. We are working with a few possible solutions to this problem that will alow us to utilize the potent 2GR engine. The decision to run a 2J was made a week and a half before the actual event and with alot of hard work from alot of people we got it together. Please post up any questions you may have about the car and ill be sure to answer them when i have a chance. Im glad you guys like the project, the car is set to use GT live in Utah as its first official public shake down.
Old 04-17-07, 07:14 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I feel all fuzzy inside
Old 04-20-07, 05:34 AM
mr. haison
Pole Position

here is a link to an IGN interview with Team Falken. The second half of the interview with Scott Dodgeon talks about the IS350 drift car.

http://cars.ign.com/articles/781/781684p1.html
Old 04-20-07, 05:56 AM
DKB
Rookie

So is my stock 350 driftable??
Cause I got alots of stickers I bought from Napa to put on it..
Old 04-20-07, 05:58 AM
IS300TURBO
Driver

I love it!
Old 04-23-07, 10:44 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is that video I spoke of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1nAgT_uQs0

Steve
Old 04-23-07, 11:53 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is the hood custom made too? Also is it me or does the motor look tilted?
Old 04-24-07, 09:02 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool that it looks like itd be very fast, but my only problem with these kinds of cars is that once their done its not a lexus anymore. All that thing is a body shell with god knows what else inside. Its just a representation of our car and NOTHING more.
Old 04-24-07, 10:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Pretty cool that it looks like itd be very fast, but my only problem with these kinds of cars is that once their done its not a lexus anymore. All that thing is a body shell with god knows what else inside. Its just a representation of our car and NOTHING more.
And it's no longer a lexus why?
Old 04-24-07, 03:32 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Is the hood custom made too? Also is it me or does the motor look tilted?
The hood is a production hood from Seibon that is readily available. And believe me the car is still very much lexus. One of the BIGGEST things i wanted to do was keep alot of the "luxury" components on the car that most drift cars do not have (factory push start button, hood and trunk struts.) Hopefully this car can bring a little more aftermarket to you guys for your own personal rides. The car was fine tuned and made its first official "debut" at the NOS events center this past saturday during the circle track drift demo. It was good finally seeing that car on the track.
Old 04-24-07, 07:05 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
And it's no longer a lexus why?
Well I just feel like theres nothing left except the plastic body parts and some of the engine. Look at the inside of that thing. Its so gutted they had to use clips to hold the TRUNK closed more than likely because there is no locking mechanism or hinge attachment in there anymore. The whole car is gutted in fact.... How is that still our cars?
Old 04-25-07, 12:17 AM
1022it
Pole Position

quit being so neagitve ben! we are fortunate to have an inside line on someone giving us up to date info about a car that will help promote aftermarket parts for our vehicles. -dont sit there and deturr Jbrad form keeping the people interested in hearing the latest on this great ride!

as for the people that said the supra engine is a turd comapred to the 350 engine, you have to look at the application and use. you also have to understand that racing an engine that hasn't been race-tuned and has NO mods for it would be a R&D car, not a race car.

the supra engine has already been race proven, has plenty of mods available, and the blocks are probably dirt cheap compared to our state of the art newly designed factory engines. they did the engine swap to have a much more reliable and equally competitive powerplant, that can be easily tuned and replaced when it blows up... so they can win races, not just appease a group of lexus owners online.

Jbrad: keep us informed! we all are excited to see lexus represented in the circuit, and really appreciate everything you have to offer to the club!
Old 04-25-07, 04:05 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

2JZ = Sweet

There was a Lexus/Toyota/Scion meet up in Bear Mtn on Sunday, which no one showed up for, but I got to see a nice Blue IS300 with the 2JZ making 500+ HP at the wheels.

I have a IS 250 AWD so it'd be sweet if I could stuff the 350's engine or the 2JZ =P

Watch the drivetrain have a serious breakdown . . .

Good luck to you guys in Formula D and I'll be seeing you at Wall Speedway!

Edit - Any word on the 350's engine?

The 12 injectors and dual vvt-i is a big hurdle . . .
Old 04-25-07, 06:54 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JBrad
I just wanted to bump a thread from the dead to clear up a few questions. We used an IS350 platform because it was given to us from Toyota to build this project. This is a Falken owned car with discount tire being the title sponsor. We fabricated alot on this car to make it more drift worthy. The suspension is now fully adjustable with full camber and toe in/out functions. We developed alot of parts to work with the 2GR engine (you should see the custom manifold we have!) but hit a HUGE road block with the 12 injector system. We found out there is no standalone on the market right now that will work in stages to control the injectors. We are working with a few possible solutions to this problem that will alow us to utilize the potent 2GR engine. The decision to run a 2J was made a week and a half before the actual event and with alot of hard work from alot of people we got it together. Please post up any questions you may have about the car and ill be sure to answer them when i have a chance. Im glad you guys like the project, the car is set to use GT live in Utah as its first official public shake down.
The company that cracks the way to get that 12 injector system working is gonna have a lot of fans. Especially if the can figure out a way to stage it to make it work with forced induction, adding fuel at higher boost levels etc.... the concept has always danced around in my mind.
Old 04-25-07, 06:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1022it
quit being so neagitve ben! we are fortunate to have an inside line on someone giving us up to date info about a car that will help promote aftermarket parts for our vehicles. -dont sit there and deturr Jbrad form keeping the people interested in hearing the latest on this great ride!

as for the people that said the supra engine is a turd comapred to the 350 engine, you have to look at the application and use. you also have to understand that racing an engine that hasn't been race-tuned and has NO mods for it would be a R&D car, not a race car.

the supra engine has already been race proven, has plenty of mods available, and the blocks are probably dirt cheap compared to our state of the art newly designed factory engines. they did the engine swap to have a much more reliable and equally competitive powerplant, that can be easily tuned and replaced when it blows up... so they can win races, not just appease a group of lexus owners online.

Jbrad: keep us informed! we all are excited to see lexus represented in the circuit, and really appreciate everything you have to offer to the club!
The 2GR has quite a bit of race tuning...it just hasn't had as much years as the 2JZ, which as a matter of fact has only seen 'race tuning' mostly outside of Toyota's race programs. The 2GR has supplanted the 3S-GTE as the power plant for the MR-S in the Super GT GT-300 class in touring car racing in japan. Team lexus had an alleged 470hp NA version in their ALMS GT2 cars that never got the chance to debut.

But yeah, seeing what hurdles they encountered (Toyota is NOTORIOUS for making the electronics part hard to deal with) I understand their move, and must admit that it is quite an impressive build.

Quick Reply: First (and Second) Look: Falken Tire IS350 Drift Car