IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First (and Second) Look: Falken Tire IS350 Drift Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 04:12 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tsoprano put in a 2JZ in his blue IS 300.

look for him cuz he dealt with some of the guys from Bullish Racing and Acosta Motorsports in Elmwood.

He's a very knowledgeable guy and he's got a sweet intake manifold!

Last edited by nabbun; 05-04-07 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 09:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JBrad
I just wanted to bump a thread from the dead to clear up a few questions. We used an IS350 platform because it was given to us from Toyota to build this project. This is a Falken owned car with discount tire being the title sponsor. We fabricated alot on this car to make it more drift worthy. The suspension is now fully adjustable with full camber and toe in/out functions. We developed alot of parts to work with the 2GR engine (you should see the custom manifold we have!) but hit a HUGE road block with the 12 injector system. We found out there is no standalone on the market right now that will work in stages to control the injectors. We are working with a few possible solutions to this problem that will alow us to utilize the potent 2GR engine. The decision to run a 2J was made a week and a half before the actual event and with alot of hard work from alot of people we got it together. Please post up any questions you may have about the car and ill be sure to answer them when i have a chance. Im glad you guys like the project, the car is set to use GT live in Utah as its first official public shake down.
Ah, so that's what the roadblock was. Thanks for the info. The car looks great btw.

The 2GR-FSE engine has a lot of tuning potential, especially with it's unique injection system. Can't wait to see the sort of build you guys will do with the 2GR.
Old 05-08-07, 02:00 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Here is a small video of the car. You just have to get past the first interview of chris milano After that its a couple of action shots of the car.

http://www.thedriftzone.com/index2.php?id=23
Old 05-08-07, 03:33 PM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to who all is planning to do this swap. Getting it to bolt in etc is the easy part. The big hurdle is to wire everything up to maintain a "streetable" car. We are running a haltech E11 in the drift car.
Jbrad

I read that you already had a intake manifold for the 2GR can you elaorate on this a bit more..
and i know you ran into a road black with the tunning but did you actually get more HP out of the 2GR before running the 2jz

and lastly congratulation on the car look amazing....

best regards
Old 06-12-07, 04:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a recent video clip on youtube of this IS350 drifting. Pretty cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o12tpGeCSds
Old 06-12-07, 06:40 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Caymandive for the clip.

Sure seem like the 2IS is wayyy to heavy to be drifting. It definitely needs more power to the wheels to drift the heavy chassis.

Other then that... very cool vid.
Old 06-12-07, 06:48 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istundra
Thanks Caymandive for the clip.

Sure seem like the 2IS is wayyy to heavy to be drifting. It definitely needs more power to the wheels to drift the heavy chassis.

Other then that... very cool vid.
After we took off all the sound deadning material,air bags,heavy seats, etc etc etc (wiring itself in car was over 50 pounds!). The car is under 3000 pounds and lighter then alot of cars in the formula D series now (including our mustang ) Im glad a video popped up for you guys to finally see what the car can do. Next event FORMULA D SEATTLE!!!
Old 06-12-07, 06:50 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After we took off all the sound deadning material,air bags,heavy seats, etc etc etc (wiring itself in car was over 50 pounds!). The car is under 3000 pounds and lighter then alot of cars in the formula D series now (including our mustang ) Im glad a video popped up for you guys to finally see what the car can do. Next event FORMULA D SEATTLE!!!
Do you know what is the average HP to Pound Ratio?
Old 06-12-07, 06:59 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS seems like it was hanging back pretty far in comparison to the other cars, probably just to be safe. It looks DAMN good drifting out there though.
Old 06-12-07, 07:24 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knihc2008
The IS seems like it was hanging back pretty far in comparison to the other cars, probably just to be safe. It looks DAMN good drifting out there though.
It was a Demo. Dont want to ball up a new car for a demo.
Old 06-12-07, 07:38 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istundra
Do you know what is the average HP to Pound Ratio?
1:4.7 with a conservative tune. Havent done one in a while. lol
Old 06-12-07, 07:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

so when does formula D return to socal? i'd like to see the falken/discount tires 2is drift car in action...
Old 06-12-07, 07:45 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
so when does formula D return to socal? i'd like to see the falken/discount tires 2is drift car in action...
October in Irwindale. If you feel like making a road trip the "circus" as i call it will be in Nor Cal in august.
Old 06-12-07, 07:49 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

October in Irwindale. If you feel like making a road trip the "circus" as i call it will be in Nor Cal in august.
i'll be out of the country when the "circus" hits norcal, but i'll definitely make it out to irwindale to check it out.

you'll also hook me up w/ a press pass so i can get behind the yellow tape and snap away, yes?
Old 07-03-07, 11:26 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Nice to see our car drift! Even if the engine is swapped it's a huge step in the right direction.

Thanks to team Falken!

Quick Reply: First (and Second) Look: Falken Tire IS350 Drift Car