IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car seats in IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 12:37 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 4 month old right now. i have to move the pass seat all the way up to it the rear facing baby seat. my gf sits in the back with him. the stroller takes up almost all of the trunk. and with all the gear you gotta bring for the baby your about out of space. theres been a couple times where i told her we should trade in for a gs.
Old 07-15-07, 12:52 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

^^blasphemy!
Old 07-15-07, 01:12 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 5 month old and i feel your pain....... i guess im glad i have a tahoe. But yeah it is cramped in thier, try taking a road trip with the babies gear and yours.......
Old 07-15-07, 01:16 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

yup its hard with the IS, its much easier to drive my highlander everywhere.
Old 07-15-07, 01:22 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Same here, highlander. People who have been there always joke about it, but you can never be prepared for how much 'stuff' you end up bringing with you with a baby in the back.

We take the highlander so often that I'm having trouble putting the miles on the IS to break it in.
Old 07-15-07, 01:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a Britax carseat in the IS350, which works fine. If it's just me and my son, I hit button "3" on the passenger side door to move the seat up and out of kicking range. The passenger seat memory settings are great for things like this.

I do not have the seat in the middle. It's been my understanding that the latch system is not intended to be used in that way, but I may be mistaken. In any case, it works well on the passenger side rear seat, and my 2 1/2 year old son loves to ride in Dad's car (he cries when we take Mommy's car now!).
Old 07-15-07, 02:41 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

As far as I can tell, using the LATCH system doesn't really depend on the distance between each anchor (within reason, of course). It is widely agreed that the safest place for a child seat is in the middle of the seat, and the LATCH anchors are always two to each side. However, if you have a relatively short bench in the back, as is the case with our IS', you can probably use the innermost anchor (one from each side) with the seat in the center.

The standard setup LATCH anchors are about 11" apart, whereas using one from each side the anchors are about 14" apart. I highly doubt that this makes much difference. There is no discernable difference in the amount of play in the base in either position.

Using the two anchors closest to the doors would be another story however.
Old 07-15-07, 03:01 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

my baby is a whopping 5 days old and we used the IS for the first time today to go to Mass. My wife had move her seat up quite a bit and i had to raise the back of my seat foward so its really not that easy having the carseat in my car for our family trips but then again thats what the mrs's mdx is for. ill just use my car to pick up the little one so just me and the baby for the most part
Old 07-15-07, 04:06 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
We have a Britax carseat in the IS350, which works fine. If it's just me and my son, I hit button "3" on the passenger side door to move the seat up and out of kicking range. The passenger seat memory settings are great for things like this.

I do not have the seat in the middle. It's been my understanding that the latch system is not intended to be used in that way, but I may be mistaken. In any case, it works well on the passenger side rear seat, and my 2 1/2 year old son loves to ride in Dad's car (he cries when we take Mommy's car now!).
Wow that sounds like my 2 1/2 year old too. I also have a Britax (Roundabout) and I have to move up the front seat like you do.
Old 07-15-07, 05:49 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Britax roundabout is the highest rated seat out there........ i own three and they are very high quality. congrats on the new baby, i remember bringing mine home the first time in the lexus thinking man, hes gonna pooop all over the place........

getting any sleep?
Old 07-15-07, 06:41 PM
is-fan
Driver

Arrow Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. This topic really got a great response, and I appreciate all the information about peoples own personal experiences with the seats and child safety.
Old 07-15-07, 06:51 PM
is-fan
Driver

When a kid is big enough not to need a car seat depends on the childs height and weight. My wife tells me that 80 lbs is the general weight at which most children will no longer require a special child seat, but I haven't done much research on this topic myself. Both of my kids are quite small for their age. My 8 year old weighs about 47 lbs, and my 6 year old weighs about 35 lbs (he just turned 6 today!!). They would not be safe without the child seats. Even my 8 year old when sitting without the car seat supporting him would have the shoulder strap on his neck or face, which is not where you want it!

When I was growing up we took my Dads 1965 Dodge Polara on family vacations, and it didn't even have the shoulder straps. He did make us wear the lap belts though. Back in those days they didn't even sell car seats for children, at least I don't think they did.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'm ignorant, but when do kids graduate from car seats? I would have thought by 8 and 6 yo they would be out of car seats. Just curious as to what the standard operating procedure is these days. We've come a long way, when I was a kid there were no seatbelts and we would horse around in the back seat, often laying on the back parcel shelf.
Old 07-16-07, 04:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cancellino
Never thought of that...hmm. I realize child safety here is the most important and had the seat installed by people certifed to install child restraints. There is always a chance that the seat could fail (God forbid) and if it were up to me I would have it on the sides so that I could benefit from lower restraints. If you have seen the post of saftey crashes, our cars do really well with side inpact, but I have more baby mama drama that I care to admit and well long story short...if you can convince her mother of the same...I would pay you what I have paid in legal fees just to watch.

I appreciate the comment though...it is something to think about and a good point.
More likely that you have a side impact. Middle seats are safest, but many cars (especially sporty ones) have a hump, and car seats may not be stable in the middle.
Old 07-16-07, 04:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is-fan
Does anyone here have car seats installed in their IS350? I'm just wondering how well they would fit with my kids, and how comfortable my kids would be with the limited leg and head room back there. I have an 8 year old and a 6 year old, and both are in car seats now. Is there enough head room in the back seat of the IS350? Those seats raise them up quite a bit. How about leg room? I've done the measurements, and it looks like they will fit okay, but I just want to know if any other forum members have had experience with this.

Thank you very much. Anyone with information to help, please let me know.
Sounds like you have 2 booster seats. I have a 4.5 yo and a 2 yo, so I have one booster seat and one convertible car seat--it's not our primary family car, but seems to work ok so far (I've had it 6 weeks). They both fit fine (although it's tough to pull down the arm rest. Also, I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'2", so the front seats do not need to be too far back. However--there is a lot of kicking on the back of the front seats. If this is your primary car, my guess is you may regret it for size.
Old 07-16-07, 05:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
DOT is worried about side impacts, and if the latch system is in the car which it is, it is stronger then any lap belt accross the seat. They have done many tests on these things and the middle is the safests. However DOT and consumer reports have rated the seats that have removable bases (infant) as the worst kind and in 25mph tests the top portion of the seats have been known to seperate and fly through the front window, so in reality thier is no real safe location for a baby seat. The seats that failed were basically everyone except the britax brand.
Not to get off topic, but CR RETRACTED that report because they ************ed up their test in a major way.

Quick Reply: Car seats in IS350?