IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership and Nav Hack Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 04:45 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been using a map for 15 years and never felt the desire to get a navi system. too much can go wrong......
Old 07-16-07, 05:03 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You randomly go up to and talk to people who look "down and out"?
Old 07-16-07, 05:45 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree (with Magellan), it depends upon the specific problem - if it's not a direct result of the hack, why deny under warranty ? IE, if you develop a few broken pixels on the Nav screen, it should be replaced under warranty - that's clearly a mfg defect. Not sure about the OP's issue tho . . .
Old 07-16-07, 06:05 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
I disagree (with Magellan), it depends upon the specific problem - if it's not a direct result of the hack, why deny under warranty ? IE, if you develop a few broken pixels on the Nav screen, it should be replaced under warranty - that's clearly a mfg defect. Not sure about the OP's issue tho . . .
Let's put it this way, the dealer while they have to honor a warranty, they don't seem to like doing work for which they are receiving no payment for upfront. Maybe they feel like they are losing out on interest on money they don't receive until months later, who knows, but it seems they will try to not honor the warranty unless there is indisputable evidence that it is a defect. I would have to think modifying an integral factory installed part of the electronics would not count as indisputable evidence that it is a defect and not damage caused by the owner.
Old 07-16-07, 06:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
You would have a tough time overturning Lexus' claim that your monkeying around with the unit, i.e. taking it out of the dash and snipping wires caused the loss of some pixels. The problem is too close to where the unit was hacked. These units are expensive and I doubt Lexus Corp. will just stand by and replace every one that comes in that has been clipped. If the muffler falls off it has nothing to do with the Nav unit, but broken pixels on a hacked Nav unit, well, if I was running Lexus I'd say 'NO' to a warranty claim. You may get a sympathetic read from Lexus, but it's a gamble. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by jdanon
Let's put it this way, the dealer while they have to honor a warranty, they don't seem to like doing work for which they are receiving no payment for upfront. Maybe they feel like they are losing out on interest on money they don't receive until months later, who knows, but it seems they will try to not honor the warranty unless there is indisputable evidence that it is a defect. I would have to think modifying an integral factory installed part of the electronics would not count as indisputable evidence that it is a defect and not damage caused by the owner.
It is not the dealer who honors the warranty, it is Lexus Corp. The dealer gets reimbursed from Corp on warranty claims. If a dealer pulls out a hacked Nav unit, replaces it under warranty, and then sends the defective unit back to Lexus for reimbursement he runs the risk of a refusal by Lexus. Then the dealer is SOL. Example: I recently had my a/c at home fail. I have a homeowner warranty on the unit. The tech said I had no refrigerant in the system. He suspected a leak in the coil so he ordered a new one, but he filled the system up in the interim to get me a/c until the part came in. When he came back two weeks later to replace the part he found there was no decrease in the refrigerant he had put in two weeks earlier. There may be a leak but it was so low he couldn't measure it. He refused to put the new part in because he said they have to send the defective parts back for inspection, and they wouldn't get reimbursed if it wasn't defective. He said they have fraud on these type of parts. This was a $300 item. I can imagine a multi-thousand dollar Nav unit and the scrutiny Lexus Corp gives it. Lexus/Toyota strictly maintains cost control, and they aren't giving away expensive repairs if they don't have to. Customer service and loyalty has a place ..... up to a point.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-16-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 06:26 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanon
Don't kid yourself - dealerships get reimbursed for parts & labor at shop rates for all warranty work. Meaning if the shopbook says it takes 1.5hrs labor, but an experienced tech does it in .5 hrs, dealership gets paid 1.5hrs. Dealerships have no issues warrantying work for customers, unless of course it's truly blatant. But I digress, if the customer in the OP's story has a less than stellar relationship with his service dept, well he needs to start making friends with the service writer or a service tech . . .
Old 07-16-07, 07:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

if you guys know how to do the hack...you should be able to undo it if a problem ever arises.

its not that hard to cut the wires near the electrical tape bundle or pull the pins out and do it that way so if you have to put it back...no one will notice its been tapered with.
Old 07-16-07, 07:54 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I guess my point was more along the lines of what Evitzee was saying in that the Nav hack involves the very same unit that could potentially be claimed to be defective. Too close for comfort, and I'm sure Lexus would rather not fix something under warranty if they don't have to, and good luck fighting them on it. Even if you wanted to take it up legally you'd still lose. If you don't ever want to get yourself in this situation, I would tell people not to do the Nav hack, or at least not a permanent one that can't be easily undone.
Old 07-16-07, 07:58 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sinister2c
if you guys know how to do the hack...you should be able to undo it if a problem ever arises.

its not that hard to cut the wires near the electrical tape bundle or pull the pins out and do it that way so if you have to put it back...no one will notice its been tapered with.
That's a lot of work, and for what really? As I've said before, it's not that bad that I can't dial phone numbers, enter destinations, or watch movies while in motion. I guess to each their own, but I don't have that much time on my hands or care enough as I didn't buy the car for the nav system or playing movies on.
Old 07-16-07, 09:58 PM
mir
Driver

I am fine with not having the hack. Now if the voice command/prompt could understand me I would be really happy.
Old 07-16-07, 10:00 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
You randomly go up to and talk to people who look "down and out"?
I spend all my time on skid row talking to bums LOL
Old 07-16-07, 10:06 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

what about doing the override to enter in a place while driving.. does no one do this.. by going through the volume menu and hitting the lower and upper corners
Old 07-16-07, 10:40 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
what about doing the override to enter in a place while driving.. does no one do this.. by going through the volume menu and hitting the lower and upper corners
this is no longer available on nav with newer firmware
Old 07-16-07, 10:55 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

man that is the price you pay for messing up on the hack or wanting the hack...
Old 07-16-07, 11:32 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I regret doing the hack because I never use the features that the hack enables (DVD, phonebook, pretty much). That said, my nav hasn't broken yet *knocks on wood*

Quick Reply: Dealership and Nav Hack Story