IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key is not detected

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 09:21 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
These remotes are a little different than your standard remote entry system that you'll find on 95% of cars today. While you are driving your remote is constantly communicating with your car. That's why it beeps at you the second you leave the car and it's running. So if you're in your car for 2 hours a day every day of the week, thats 730 hours of use from the remote. Figure that a standard remote gets pressed 10 times a day for a total of a few seconds (let's say 5 seconds for this example). 5 seconds a day for a year is roughly 30 minutes of battery use per year. Quite the difference. Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Excellent! Can u explain why it beeps when you leave the car i have always been curious?
Old 07-17-07, 09:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyIs350
Excellent! Can u explain why it beeps when you leave the car i have always been curious?
To remind you the key is no longer in the car. Say it's in your passenger's purse, & you drop her off somewhere. The car wont shut off, but once you do turn it off, you cant start it again w/o the key.
Old 07-17-07, 09:45 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SonnyIs350
The key (and the car) use Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) to communicate with each other. The car is constantly transmitting an encrypted radio signal looking for the key. This signal is very limited in terms of distance traveled (there is a diagram in the Manual but I dont have it on me). Since the car is constantly searching for the key, the instant you go out of range, it knows that the key is no longer present inside the vehicle, thus starts beeping and displaying the Key Not Detected message.

I believe only the center/main transmitter located inside the car can allow drivers to start the car. Thus if I was standing next to the passenger door, I would be able to unlock the doors but if someone was in the driver seat they would not be able to start the car (but don't quote me on that).

Make sense?
Old 07-17-07, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
The key (and the car) use Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) to communicate with each other. The car is constantly transmitting an encrypted radio signal looking for the key. This signal is very limited in terms of distance traveled (there is a diagram in the Manual but I dont have it on me). Since the car is constantly searching for the key, the instant you go out of range, it knows that the key is no longer present inside the vehicle, thus starts beeping and displaying the Key Not Detected message.

I believe only the center/main transmitter located inside the car can allow drivers to start the car. Thus if I was standing next to the passenger door, I would be able to unlock the doors but if someone was in the driver seat they would not be able to start the car (but don't quote me on that).

Make sense?
That's right. It depends where the key is. If the key is outside the car on the driver side, you cannot open the passenger door. The car can tell if the key is inside.
Old 07-20-07, 11:05 AM
kevinmscs
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys i have been bz and just got replaced the battery yesterday... Yes its the battery that ran out. I put new battery in and it works fine now.

Its an CR1632 so if anyone needs to know. Hard to find it in store since its not a very popular one.

Also, for all purpose, i think everyone should buy one battery and place it into the glove box when your car reaches more than 1 year. Just in case you cant start the car while away from home.

Thanks all.
Old 07-20-07, 11:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinmscs
Also, for all purpose, i think everyone should buy one battery and place it into the glove box when your car reaches more than 1 year. Just in case you cant start the car while away from home.
While it's not a bad idea to keep a spare battery (or two) on hand, you don't need to worry about getting stranded.

You can start the car even with the battery completely removed from the fob. Just hold it directly in front of the start button, and thanks to passive RFID technology (an electromagnetic field in front of the start button induces a current in a coil in the fob, which powers it), you can start the vehicle.
Old 07-20-07, 01:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinmscs

Thanks all.
I'd leave a spare battery in the trunk -- that way if you can't get in your car you don't have to pop off the lock covers, just open the trunk with the metal key and install the new battery in the remote.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-20-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 02:06 PM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'd leave a spare battery in the trunk -- that way if you can't get in your car you don't have to pop off the lock covers, just open the trunk with the metal key (assuming the IS has a keyhole for the trunk) and install the new battery in the remote.
Good idea!

My first keyfob just died on me a week ago.

I was so used to the SmartAcess so when my battery actually died on me, I still pull the handle and expected the door to be opened, but it didn't. It was sort of an embarassment moment there.

It made me look really dumb especially when I stand next to my car and reach to get my remote just to open the door.

I knew for sure when the battery was dead cuz it no longer detected by the car when I try to start so I had to held it close to the start button.

Currently, using my second keyfob now and even the second one is running low on batter. My car was manufacted 10/06.

Just bought 5 Panasonic from fleabay. Will install it this weekend and hope everything will be back to normal.
Old 07-24-07, 07:23 AM
SF228
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy The battery issue is a pain in the *ss!!!!!

I drove from SF to lake tahoe last weekend, and my smart key battery promptly died when I arrived. After this trip, I have two gripes about Lexus' design with the smart key:

1) The replacement battery (CR1632) is very difficult to find. In fact, unless you're in a major city, it's impossible to find. There were NONE in all of Lake Tahoe - trust me, I went to 10 different shops to find one, and was blanked at each spot. Even when I got back to the Bay area, I found that it was STILL difficult to find one - I finally found one online, and ordered it there. Lexus - why the heck did you pick such a hard to find replacement part that a customer will need to replace relatively often???

2) The manual doesn't tell you not to stress about the "alternate" method of starting the car. i.e. - you have ample time to find a replacement, and shouldn't stress if you can't find one immediately. The manual, instead, is written stating that you need to replace the smart key battery immediately - implying that you will not be able to start your car unless you replace the battery soon. As you can imagine, this is very stressful, and places immediate pressure on one to find a replacement. If one is not to be found, as in my case, you can drive yourself nuts looking for one, as I did, which totally ruined my weekend. (imagine starting your car to go somewhere, everytime wondering if you will ever be able to bring the car back)
Old 07-24-07, 09:40 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Telephones have batteries too, you could have called around first, saved some time?
Old 07-24-07, 12:10 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SF228
1) The replacement battery (CR1632) is very difficult to find. In fact, unless you're in a major city, it's impossible to find. There were NONE in all of Lake Tahoe - trust me, I went to 10 different shops to find one, and was blanked at each spot. Even when I got back to the Bay area, I found that it was STILL difficult to find one - I finally found one online, and ordered it there. Lexus - why the heck did you pick such a hard to find replacement part that a customer will need to replace relatively often???
In a pinch, you should be able to get a replacement CR1632 at any Lexus or Toyota dealer. I think Saab also uses that size too. You won't find it at drugstores, supermarkets or Radio Shack.
Old 07-24-07, 01:31 PM
TonySwank
Driver School Candidate

Mine died yesterday after a little less than three months. I felt like an idiot sitting in front of my friends house trying to figure out how to start my car. Anyone else have this short of a life span?
Old 07-24-07, 01:38 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TonySwank
Mine died yesterday after a little less than three months. I felt like an idiot sitting in front of my friends house trying to figure out how to start my car. Anyone else have this short of a life span?
Do you keep your key in the same pocket as your cell phone?
Old 07-24-07, 05:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TonySwank
Yes, my original battery also died in less than three months. The replacement is still going strong nearly 18 months later.