Key is not detected

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 01:54 PM
kevinmscs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key is not detected

Hi all,

One of my 2 keys (remotes) suddenly does not work anymore. It can unlock and lock the car manually (pressing buttons) but it does not unlock the car by sensor and when i pressed start button it said "Key is not detected"...

Anyone has the same issue? Does the key go bad? Is it covered by warranty? What can i do or should i just go to the dealership?

Thanks
Old 07-16-07, 02:01 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your key's battery could be out.

You can either go to your dealership to replace the battery, or you could order and install one yourself.
Old 07-16-07, 02:05 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Check the manual for battery replacement. It will save you some $$$ to do it yourself. If the battery is newer, make sure that, while in your pocket, your keys or otherwise aren't holding the button down by accident.
Old 07-16-07, 02:21 PM
kevinmscs
Driver School Candidate

I thought about that, but thats strange isnt it? Why would it still work when pressing lock/unlock but does not work for start?

Also why is the battery life so short? I only have the car for a 20 months. I never had to replace remote key battery for life.
Old 07-16-07, 02:30 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevinmscs
Also why is the battery life so short? I only have the car for a 20 months. I never had to replace remote key battery for life.
Haha, yeah, I can almost guarantee its your battery. Manual states that you should replace it yearly for best performance. I'm going to see how its doing at 12 months, but probably wait for 18.
Old 07-16-07, 02:34 PM
kevinmscs
Driver School Candidate

Alrighty, i will check manual later and see. I hope thats the case though cause thats the cheapest fix i can think of right now.
Old 07-16-07, 02:38 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevinmscs
I thought about that, but thats strange isnt it? Why would it still work when pressing lock/unlock but does not work for start?

These remotes are a little different than your standard remote entry system that you'll find on 95% of cars today. While you are driving your remote is constantly communicating with your car. That's why it beeps at you the second you leave the car and it's running. So if you're in your car for 2 hours a day every day of the week, thats 730 hours of use from the remote. Figure that a standard remote gets pressed 10 times a day for a total of a few seconds (let's say 5 seconds for this example). 5 seconds a day for a year is roughly 30 minutes of battery use per year. Quite the difference. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-07, 02:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are you doing this at home? maybe that key is defective or the battery is dead as others have said but i wonder if the other key maybe close enough in your house that its allowing you to get in the car but isnt close enough for the car to start?? maybe i am way in left field here but i would think this can happen. other thing is if both keys are present or close enough does it fight over the transponder then give up? i havent tried and my 2nd key is still in a draw from when i got it so i have never used it.

tell us please what you find out...
Old 07-16-07, 03:01 PM
kevinmscs
Driver School Candidate

No i tried while i was in the car and the key was with me. Then i switched to the other key and it was ok. So i know i was not out of range.

I hope its the battery thing.... Will let you guys know.

Thanks all.
Old 07-16-07, 04:43 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Go get a CR1632.... It's kind of a special battery, so the local CVS or what not probably won't have it. Try a battery store or Radio Shack maybe?

I got mine from a place called Batteries + which is a chain store......About $3 each.

Or go to eBay and buy them.
Old 07-16-07, 08:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by unit74
Go get a CR1632.... It's kind of a special battery, so the local CVS or what not probably won't have it. Try a battery store or Radio Shack maybe?
Radio Shack doesn't carry them in their stores.
Old 07-16-07, 08:28 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Radio Shack doesn't carry them in their stores.

Figures.....that place suxs now. It used to be you could walk in and get real parts to things. Now all they do is peddle junkie crap and cell phones.
Old 07-16-07, 08:50 PM
diablodude
Rookie

The dealership told me to hold the key up to the engine start button if the battery ever went. Has anyone heard this before?
Old 07-16-07, 10:26 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diablodude
The dealership told me to hold the key up to the engine start button if the battery ever went. Has anyone heard this before?
It's in the manual.
Old 07-16-07, 11:46 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes this will work because what if your battery dies and u need to start the car they had to make it this way soo that to get in you use the metal key and then you can start it by placing the key right in front of the push start and it will start the car

Quick Reply: Key is not detected