IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM xenon question??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 03:39 AM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM xenon question??

Do all ISX50's come with AFS w/ auto level headlamps when you get the a option with HID? OR is there an option that is just HID's???

To make a long story short, the reason why i am asking is because i am going to trade headlights with a guy. I know his car came equipped with the stock HID's but i was just afraid that his car didnt come with the auto leveling headlamps.. if that was even possible
Old 07-17-07, 05:54 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kschawaii
Do all ISX50's come with AFS w/ auto level headlamps when you get the a option with HID? OR is there an option that is just HID's???

To make a long story short, the reason why i am asking is because i am going to trade headlights with a guy. I know his car came equipped with the stock HID's but i was just afraid that his car didn't come with the auto leveling headlamps.. if that was even possible
Not possible as it is the law in North America for automakers to incorporate auto leveling for HID equipped vehicles. This is to make sure we don't blind oncoming traffic if we have to much junk in the trunk.
Old 07-17-07, 07:08 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, thats what I was told too. If its got HID it should have AFS. At least from Lexus anyway that is.

Last edited by ben_r_; 07-22-07 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-17-07, 07:55 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Not possible as it is the law in North America for automakers to incorporate auto leveling for HID equipped vehicles. This is to make sure we don't blind oncoming traffic if we have to much junk in the trunk.
This is correct. The only street-legal HID's under current NHTSA regulations are factory-installed HID's, which must include some sort of auto-leveling mechanism. The Lexus Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), however, is a Lexus feature that not only includes the auto-leveling, but also the turns the headlights in the same direction that you turn the wheel. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, yes - AFS is included with all Lexus 2IS factory-equipped HID's.

Javier
Old 07-17-07, 09:29 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Are you sure its the law? I my be wrong but I do not think the Acura TSX HID's are auto leveling. And they DO blind oncoming traffic.
Old 07-20-07, 08:21 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

You might be on to something there. I have look and look for official regulation for auto-leveling for US or Canada and couldn't find one. Only in Europe, headlight washers and auto-leveling is mandaded.

Here is a quote from a well written article from ASME between 01-04:
"Among the reasons that European standards mandate self-leveling HID systems while U.S. standards don't may be the different philosophies that guide lighting system design. According to Michael Flannagan, a senior scientist at the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute, European regulators' concern over glare contrasts with U.S. regulators' emphasis on maximizing vision. For many decades, low beam patterns have been different between the two regions, he said."

For anyone interested they also talk about the history of HID, Adaptive Front Lighting Systems that should also be mandated and much more.
http://www.memagazine.org/backissues.../letlight.html

Last edited by phatboyc; 07-20-07 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-22-07, 01:47 AM
cneeley
Rookie

a lot of car companies offer xenon headlights without the auto-level feature in the U.S