IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It hurts...help! (Rubbing issue w/ pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 03:20 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Smaller tires, as I have read the from first page, not going to bother with other non-sense post.

Smaller tires / Shave metal down, close enough so it still is functional.

No options other than that, you wana play you gotta pay
Old 02-05-10, 10:36 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^lol exactly Paul! It doesnt matter what you do or how you try to prevent rubbing or fender benting its goin to happen sooner of later. Dude you guys should see "t0e's" fenders and how low he rolls lolz
Old 02-05-10, 10:40 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Smaller tires, as I have read the from first page, not going to bother with other non-sense post.

Smaller tires / Shave metal down, close enough so it still is functional.

No options other than that, you wana play you gotta pay
Yeah, kinda annoying seeing everyone complain about rubbing. They want to be flush but they don't want to rub and then they're always asking about offsets when it's all over the web if you use the search button.

-Toe come down to norcal for wekfest, I want to see how you roll. haha
Old 02-05-10, 10:49 AM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, I'm not complaining at all. I know you have to pay to play I was just simply asking more info about the relocation part which dsm kindly provided insight on . I know all the alternatives (stretched tires, running less aggressive offset, raising the car) and I'm not willing to do any of those.
Old 02-05-10, 10:55 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gc86
Guys, I'm not complaining at all. I know you have to pay to play I was just simply asking more info about the relocation part which dsm kindly provided insight on . I know all the alternatives (stretched tires, running less aggressive offset, raising the car) and I'm not willing to do any of those.
I wasn't talking about you, talking about all the new people around that open 10 threads a month on similar questions and asking questions you can find from searching.
Old 02-05-10, 06:40 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
I wasn't talking about you, talking about all the new people around that open 10 threads a month on similar questions and asking questions you can find from searching.
I feel you, I did quite a bit of searching couldn't find a picture as detailed as sgm's. As you can see this thread is from 3 years back
Old 02-05-10, 06:52 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I say roll your fenders. I am
About time.
Old 02-05-10, 07:21 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Stretch your tires I was lowered running a 19x9 +25 with a 235 and I never rubbed
Old 02-05-10, 07:45 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Default Real advice

wow, I'm suprised at the garbage advice in this thread, aka "buy new wheels"... wow

Hartawan, I'm actually suprised your only NOW rubbing through your fender liner, especially running 20's. I rubbed though that ish the first month I had my IS and I'm rolling on 19's.

19x9 +28
19x10+28

to be exact.... and guess what no, rubbing.

here's the "secret".

FIRST: - either have a bodyshop/someone that know how to cut off/shave down that metal piece - do that. Then, bend UP that tab that connects the bumper to the fender. Bend that ish straight UP till its almost 90 degress and get it out the way.

SECOND: - take a heat gun and go absolutley nutz. I spent like 3 hours just heat gunning my front fender wells. Its actually quite a bit fun

Here's exactly what you gotta do. Look for any signs or signals of possible 'rub areas'. Get it crazy hot w/ the heat gun, then once its very hot/almost ready to melt, push it back away from where the tire would rub with something like a big rock (fist size or bigger). Then while your pushing it back, cool it down ASAP with cold water (ice cold spray bottle water). That way it will instantly harden and cool down in place where you pushed it back.

CONCLUSION: cut that metal piece off. bend up that tab. and have loads of fun going nutz with a heat gun, big rock and ice cold spray bottle.

DONE.

All other advice in this thread - disreagrd!
Old 02-05-10, 07:53 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Hartawan, I'm actually suprised your only NOW rubbing through your fender liner, especially running 20's. I rubbed though that ish the first month I had my IS and I'm rolling on 19's.
my 19's stopped rubbing in the first week... I got so sick of hearing it that I went into an open parking lot and would just drive in circles till it ate all the way through lol and the upper most part of the fender went bye bye when I was stock from canyon runs
Old 02-05-10, 07:57 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by windex
my 19's stopped rubbing in the first week... I got so sick of hearing it that I went into an open parking lot and would just drive in circles till it ate all the way through lol and the upper most part of the fender went bye bye when I was stock from canyon runs

well, i guess... nice way to eat your tires...

Hartawan, follow my guidlines. Its the best solution, trust me. Read it and re-read it
Old 02-05-10, 08:27 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

If it doesnt rub, there is something wrong with your offsets.
Old 02-05-10, 09:04 PM
Rash
hmm

Guys. This thread is veeeery olllld lol.

Where's Hartawan anyway?
Old 02-06-10, 07:16 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this thread is from 2007. I think everyone who has coils has shaved their tab.
Old 02-10-10, 01:27 AM
Calviin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
like i've told many people

if you just actually just take a look at the tab, common sense will kick in and you will know what to do
If this was like facebook, I would "like" this post!

Quick Reply: It hurts...help! (Rubbing issue w/ pictures)