IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shady Customer Service Survey Tactics..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 12:24 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
This is VERY common. MANY dealerships and sales people do this. If the sales person treated you right, then send them the form.
It is very common and not a big deal as most believe. If he treated you right, let him fill it out so he can get his little bonus money.

Even if you had the best intentions to fill out the survey correctly, ONE mistake will cost him his bonus and from what I hear the new survey layout is a bit tricky.

It doesn't hurt you to send him the survey. I always do as I'm too lazy to fill it out and I know it makes my rep happy to do it for me so if I ever need any favors in the future I know I'm covered.
Old 07-19-07, 01:16 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

From the many answers here, I hope people are getting the message that the results of these surveys aren't to be trusted.

I've had the same experience, when the service writer all but begs for me to rate everything outstanding, while pointing out that it impacts bonus money for him and the service manager. That really puts the car owner in a no win situation, especially if the service wasn't perfect, and what service is?

Don't want to anger the service guys and hit them in the pocketbook, so lie, don't send it in, or tell the truth. On one visit the only item I mentioned was my disappointment that the dealership didn't accept American Express.

Yep...I heard about it from them on my next visit.

A bunch of BS, IMHO.

Last edited by fantom; 07-19-07 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 01:22 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

For those of you who feel they are manipulated into filling out the survey correctly, you can always throw the survey into the trash. That way it doesn't hurt the employee and it doesn't hurt you either. If asked, simply say you don't recall getting it in the mail. Case closed.
Old 07-19-07, 02:04 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
For those of you who feel they are manipulated into filling out the survey correctly, you can always throw the survey into the trash. That way it doesn't hurt the employee and it doesn't hurt you either. If asked, simply say you don't recall getting it in the mail. Case closed.
I don't agree....as the title of this thread says, it's a "Shady Survey", even if we throw the survey away, and then lie by saying "we don't recall getting it."

You're suggesting that if the dealer hasn't earned a perfect rating, that we don't mail the survey in. If we all do that:

1. The dealership doesn't get honest feedback, think "halo effect".
2. The dealership won't know about possible problem areas.
3. Corrective action will not happen quickly.
4. Lexus isn't getting a true picture of the actual level of dealership quality.
5. Dealerships can advertise themselves as "elite" or whatever the term is, because of their steller, but incomplete, survey results.
6. Potential new buyers don't get an accurate gauge of what the true service levels are.
7. We've killed a bunch of trees for nothing.

I'm sure there's more. It's an absurd process that Lexus inflicts on the dealers, and the dealers dishonestly manipulate. Customers are asked to compromise their integrity, and potential customers are told that according to survey results, service is better than it actually is. End result is "we are hurt".

IMHO, we shouldn't encourage this flawed process in any way.
Old 07-19-07, 02:20 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I filled it in myself, gave it to the sales guy and he gave me $200 gift certificate......

Last edited by kickin8; 07-19-07 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 02:48 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by fantom
I've had the same experience, when the service writer all but begs for me to rate everything outstanding, while pointing out that it impacts bonus money for him and the service manager. That really puts the car owner in a no win situation, especially if the service wasn't perfect, and what service is?
Don't want to anger the service guys and hit them in the pocketbook, so lie, don't send it in, or tell the truth. On one visit the only item I mentioned was my disappointment that the dealership didn't accept American Express.
Yep...I heard about it from them on my next visit.
So you wrote in a bad survey and it came back to you. All because you were unhappy they didn't accept American Express. This wasn't the service guy's fault and he didn't get his monthly bonus money because of YOU. They didn't do anything wrong to you or your car, the dealer principal simply decided he didn't want to accept AMEX. My point isn't to flat out lie and send in a 100% survey score IF they completely screw up your car. My point is IF you got decent service then it doesn't hurt anyone to send in a good survey. All it does is help out the "little guy" (employee trying to earn honest living). This goes back to my saying the new survey layout is a bit tricky. Even if you THINK you are putting 100%, sometimes it doesn't come out that way. Again, I'm completely okay with handing mine in as I am always happy with the service I have received from my Lexus dealer and I'm ALL FOR HELPING OUT THE LITTLE GUY.

I don't agree....as the title of this thread says, it's a "Shady Survey", even if we throw the survey away, and then lie by saying "we don't recall getting it."

You're suggesting that if the dealer hasn't earned a perfect rating, that we don't mail the survey in. If we all do that:

1. The dealership doesn't get honest feedback, think "halo effect".
2. The dealership won't know about possible problem areas.
3. Corrective action will not happen quickly.
4. Lexus isn't getting a true picture of the actual level of dealership quality.
5. Dealerships can advertise themselves as "elite" or whatever the term is, because of their steller, but incomplete, survey results.
6. Potential new buyers don't get an accurate gauge of what the true service levels are.
7. We've killed a bunch of trees for nothing.

I'm sure there's more. It's an absurd process that Lexus inflicts on the dealers, and the dealers dishonestly manipulate. Customers are asked to compromise their integrity, and potential customers are told that according to survey results, service is better than it actually is. End result is "we are hurt".
If they screw up your car you should be contacting the SM, GSM, and GM, not sitting at home filling out a survey. In actuality, it is always better to resolve any issues before filling out the survey. Corrective action will happen MUCH quicker prior to the survey being sent in, especially if dealer knows you have a blank survey in your hand.

There's NOTHING wrong with throwing away a survey - just because you get one doesn't mean you required to fill it out. I ignore ALL surveys, I'm too busy and too lazy to fill any of them out. I have better things to do with my time than to constantly fill out surveys and after 4 Lexus' I get quite a lot of them.
Old 07-19-07, 03:46 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

So you wrote in a bad survey and it came back to you. All because you were unhappy they didn't accept American Express. This wasn't the service guy's fault and he didn't get his monthly bonus money because of YOU.
Wrong again, and on several counts. I wrote a sterling survey, and at the end mentioned that I was surprised the dealership didn't accept American Express. The service guy was dinged because of poor use of the survey results wherein I was talking about the dealership, not him. It was the fault of Lexus wanting (and trying to force) nothing but perfect surveys, the dealership for supporting the charade, and too many people just going along with the dishonesty. I take no blame for dealership and Lexus lack of integrity.

I suggest that anyone who contributes to this flawed process is also partially responsible. I know that when working for a dealership, you had to endure this bad policy, but that doesn't make it right, and the "little guy" being harmed the most....is the CUSTOMER!

Last edited by fantom; 07-19-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 03:55 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not filling out these surveys truthfully is a very bad idea. If the dealer is truly doing everything right, then they won't try to unethically "buy" a good report card. If they're NOT doing everything right and you dishonestly give them high marks, they will not be forced to make any improvements.

Those of you having bad experiences with purchases and/or service can thank customers that are easily swayed to lie. There will be no process improvement if the quality measuring system is broken. Personally, I don't give a damn whether my service writer get a monthly bonus. He needs to do his job right, and rewards will logically follow.

For those of us that are in client-driven industries, just imagine providing poor service to them and then having the guts to ask them to send your boss a letter stating what a good job you did. We wouldn't ask, and neither should Lexus.

Last edited by 15951; 07-19-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 04:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Those of you having bad experiences with purchases and/or service can thank customers that are easily swayed to lie. There will be no process improvement if the system is broken.
Absolutely, 100% right!! There will be no improvement if everything is 'perfect' according to the falsified surveys. I think this phenomenon of not wanting to rock the boat or dinging the salesperson is an outcome of how we educate our kids today; we mustn't make them feel inferior, even if they aren't doing well. If you don't want to know the truth, then don't ask. But if Lexus asks, then why not tell them? It's your hard earned money you are giving them, why shouldn't we give honest feedback?

We all complain about lousy, unresponsive dealers, but if nobody gives Lexus feedback on their shortcomings why should we be surprised??? If a salesperson isn't up to snuff he should go someplace else, like Circuit City. I'm willing to help the guy/girl make that transition if they aren't any good. No job should be a sinecure (look it up). For those too lazy, or scared, to tell the truth, well.....you reap what you sow.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-19-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 04:18 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I wrote a sterling survey, and at the end mentioned that I was surprised the dealership didn't accept American Express. The service guy was dinged because of poor use of the survey results wherein I was talking about the dealership, not him. It was the fault of Lexus wanting (and trying to force) nothing but perfect surveys, the dealership for supporting the charade, and too many people just going along with the dishonesty. I take no blame for dealership and Lexus lack of integrity.
Once again, the only person who got hurt was your service writer whom, according to you, gave you a wonderful service experience!

It all goes back to my point of the survey layout is tricky. If I'm able to help my dealer rep earn a few extra bucks, then why not? It makes him happy and the money's not coming from my wallet. I always had good service, I've got nothing to complain about.
I'm only stating what really goes on backstage at the dealership. People will make up their own mind on what they choose to do with the surveys.

**edit** FYI, the surveys don't really change anything at the dealership. The person who got the bad survey gets a slap on the wrist. If you really want to make an impact and improve things, write a letter to the owner of the dealership. Personally, if I get bad service I simply go elsewhere - Lexus dealers, restaurants, clothing stores, make up counters, hair salons.....

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 07-19-07 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 04:36 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
That sounds a bit weird... My sales rep treated me very respectfully and towards the end told me about the surveys and asked I be generous with my response but never to send it to him! That sounds a bit awkward...
I agree, this is how it was with me also.

Old Oiler
Old 07-19-07, 04:37 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Personally, if I get bad service I simply go elsewhere - Lexus dealers, restaurants, clothing stores, make up counters, hair salons.....
If you lived in South Florida you'd soon run out of places to go.

Thanks for your insights on how it works at dealerships. We have vastly differing perspectives on this issue, so let's just agree to disagree.
Old 07-20-07, 02:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never get talked into buying a car. For me I never have bought a car because the salesman did some great job at riding with me on a test drive, or walking back and forth to the finance manager while dealing. I don't window shop. I know what I want, and I'll buy it if I get the price I feel is fair. If the saleman wants his bonus in addition to his commision he just earned by helping me fill out the paper work than he better make it worth my while. He can throw in some free stuff, or offer me some cash and then I gladly hand him the survey card so he can fill it out himself. Now, if I went in to buy a Lexus and the sales guy talked me into buying a Kia, he deserves a huge bonus as that would be a great salesman
Old 07-20-07, 02:38 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Now, if I went in to buy a Lexus and the sales guy talked me into buying a Kia, he deserves a huge bonus as that would be a great salesman
Yeah....but by the time you got the survey in the mail, you would have been driving the Kia for a month or so, and you'd probably be real angry at both the salesman and yourself.
Old 07-20-07, 06:14 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I agree, this is how it was with me also.

Old Oiler
While I had a good overall experience with my purchase, I'd like to add a note here.

My salesman told me that he wanted a perfect score and to call him and discuss with him if I was not going to put it down.

I didn't do that, I don't have time for that. I filled the survey out as to how I honestly felt, some good, some excellent and some not very good.

I'm of the opinion that if they are professionals that they should not have to worry about what you are putting down on the surveys. If they have done their job to the best of their ability in good faith, honest business, the surveys will take care of themselves without the salesman needing you to "send it to him" or coach you on how to complete it before mailing it in.

That is BS.

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Quick Reply: Shady Customer Service Survey Tactics..?