IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shady Customer Service Survey Tactics..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 06:29 AM
chaotix382
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Shady Customer Service Survey Tactics..?

when i bought my 2IS a few weeks ago, just as i left the dealership (when the sales guy spends 18 hours trying to demo you all the features), he also told me i would be getting two surveys in the mail:

1. one from the dealership pretty quickly
2. one from lexus north america (corporate) a few weeks later

here's the thing.. he requested that i MAIL HIM the latter (corporate) survey so he could fill it out himself on my behalf. in a temporary state of shock and/or awe that he actually made this request, i sort of agreed because he generally treated me well, and more importantly i just wanted to get out of there and drive the car.

now that i actually got an email survey from lexus north america (i guess theoretically i could FWD it to my dealer), im a bit conflicted. i really dont want anyone to fill out anything on my behalf, but i dont want to be caught in a weird situation where i have to have the dealer service my car and hold some schoolboy grudge.

has this happened to anyone else??
Old 07-19-07, 06:32 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

No. And i would fill it out according to my experience with the dealership as corporate Lexus would want you to.
Old 07-19-07, 08:19 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

fill it our yourself, and take your car to another dealership for service (unless the next nearest dealership is not-so-practically far away).
Old 07-19-07, 08:34 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

This is VERY common. MANY dealerships and sales people do this. If the sales person treated you right, then send them the form.
Old 07-19-07, 08:41 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds a bit weird... My sales rep treated me very respectfully and towards the end told me about the surveys and asked I be generous with my response but never to send it to him! That sounds a bit awkward...
Old 07-19-07, 08:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
That sounds a bit weird... My sales rep treated me very respectfully and towards the end told me about the surveys and asked I be generous with my response but never to send it to him! That sounds a bit awkward...
I think sending it to them crosses the line. They all tell you "give me great marks". If they did great, give the guy all top marks, and use his name specifically in the comments. Clearly, their status and compensation is tied closely to the reviews--if they did right by you, do the same.
Old 07-19-07, 09:01 AM
Traturn
Driver

a strange request, but understandable.

If he did a good enough job for you to reccomend him, its infact easier for you to just put it in the mail to him, instead of taking the time to fill it out yourself.

the biggest reason he'd want to fill it out himself instead of having you do it, is that the survey is designed to be somewhat anti-intuitive with the responses. A mark of "very good" is somthing like a C+ while "Superiorly Outstandingly Fabulous" is the A he wants. Nobody thinks anything is superiorly outsandingly fabulous (i'm not familiar with exact term, thats obviously made-up) so they put down "very good".

Taking the survey interpretation out of your hands is protecting himself from hours of work justifying a "C+" grade that is really an "A" because a customer did not take the time to be meticulous and find the super-duper-est response to the 20+ questions.

Its a lot of work to damage-control a bad survey. Its frustrating to damage-control a bad survey from a happy satisfied customer.

Now, if the sales experience wasn't "very good" and you had isues, I wouldn't send it to him - but if he did everything you could have imagined for your car buying experience, send it to him and let him give himself the "A"
Old 07-19-07, 09:08 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

hahaha thats nothing. I bought about 5 new Hondas from our local Honda dealer. You can pretty much make a deal with them to get a full tank of gas or something if you fill out the customer service survey and bring it right to them. Hell, I made a deal once to get like $100 to just bring it in and let them fill it out and send it in.
Old 07-19-07, 09:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fill it out and send the dealership a copy.

If they want to know your answers (for their use), then that's fine. However, the survey is for you and Lexus Corp alone.
Old 07-19-07, 09:47 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To those that think it is ok to send it to the salesman to fill out, try this: The next time your boss at work has to do the annual review of your performance just ask him/her to save time and just send the paperwork to you and you will fill it out. Obviously that won't fly, and it shouldn't. The survey is for how YOU feel about the experience, not how the salesman would like it to be. Don't be lazy and let someone else do your job. Take a few minutes and fill it out honestly yourself. That is the only way changes will occur that will benefit us, the customers. If you want to share it with the dealer go ahead.
Old 07-19-07, 10:34 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, sounds like someone was worried about his job and job performance......... Lexus takes those surveys pretty seriously, according to my broker and the lady from jim falk lexus (internet manager i guess) if they get too many negative surveys thier monthly allocation could be affected as well as other corporate sanctions. IM glad thier is some level of oversight, since the governement does not seem to want to regulate sales tactics etc. then atleast the manufacture is.
Old 07-19-07, 11:27 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt happen to me that way. I just filled it out and mailed it to corporate.
Old 07-19-07, 11:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Take a few minutes and fill it out honestly yourself. That is the only way changes will occur that will benefit us, the customers. If you want to share it with the dealer go ahead.
Couldn't agree more. The whole reason that Lexus spends the money on printing, postage, etc. is to learn which areas they are doing a good job of making us happy, and which areas they are falling short.

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem if a salesman said, "Lexus is going to mail you a survey that affects my compensation. If there is anything I've done or neglected to do that has left you less than completely satisfied, please tell me about it now, and give me a chance to make it right". But to simply ask for perfect marks, or to ask to fill out the survey themselves I find offensive and reprehensible.
Old 07-19-07, 12:01 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

I dont see how anyone could agree to giving the sales person the survey. If they are doing their job decently they shouldnt have any problems with how you would rate them.
Old 07-19-07, 12:04 PM
gixxrr
Rookie

Mine didn't ask me to forward him the survey, he just asks me to give him the best possible ratings in the survey and if I feel he doesn't deserve it. He says to contact him first so he'll try to make things right if I wasn't satisfied.

Quick Reply: Shady Customer Service Survey Tactics..?