IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Amber speed warning circle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 11:04 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never bought anything of value where I didn't know more about the product than the salesman.
Old 07-22-07, 12:40 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
In a perfect world, yes, they should know every feature on every model car they sell. But reality rears it's head, and with an owner's manual comprising many hundreds of pages it is unrealistic to expect every salesperson to know every detail that is available...
Kinda like how it's unrealistic for a survey to change a dealer's business practices?

Javier
Old 07-22-07, 12:52 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by jackblack7
I have never bought anything of value where I didn't know more about the product than the salesman.
I agree i always no more than the sales people. It actually bugs me to ask questions because they dont know the tough questions but then they will ramble on about the stuff that i obviously know. In my eyes thats what makes a good salesperson. When they analyze the buyer and adjust the sales technique. I hate going into a store and telling them what i want and they get hung up on something i really dont care about, like color.

My fav example of late. I go into a dodge dealer and say im interested in your charger SRT-8. The guy goes into his pitch, this is the best charger, it has the 6.1L hemi with 425hp yada yada yada. Obviously something i know if i come in specifically to look at that one car. Then when i say im not interested he goes, well we have some 6cylinder chargers out back too, would you like to look at them? I dont think ppl go in to look at an SRT-8 and then buy the 6cylinder one, maybe the 350hp hemi one but not the base model. These salesmen dont realize, if i say "this" is the car im interested in, i obviously know what im looking for, dont try and push other cars on me. Its different if someone comes in and says, im interested in a 4 door sedan with good gas milage, then thats when they should explore options. Damn i should sell cars for a living.
Old 07-22-07, 01:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by yogi350
I agree i always no more than the sales people. It actually bugs me to ask questions because they dont know the tough questions but then they will ramble on about the stuff that i obviously know. In my eyes thats what makes a good salesperson. When they analyze the buyer and adjust the sales technique. I hate going into a store and telling them what i want and they get hung up on something i really dont care about, like color.

My fav example of late. I go into a dodge dealer and say im interested in your charger SRT-8. The guy goes into his pitch, this is the best charger, it has the 6.1L hemi with 425hp yada yada yada. Obviously something i know if i come in specifically to look at that one car. Then when i say im not interested he goes, well we have some 6cylinder chargers out back too, would you like to look at them? I dont think ppl go in to look at an SRT-8 and then buy the 6cylinder one, maybe the 350hp hemi one but not the base model. These salesmen dont realize, if i say "this" is the car im interested in, i obviously know what im looking for, dont try and push other cars on me. Its different if someone comes in and says, im interested in a 4 door sedan with good gas milage, then thats when they should explore options. Damn i should sell cars for a living.
The guy is doing what works for 95% of the people. If he didn't he would starve. Sure there are exceptional customers, but they are by definition exceptional. I generally know more about cars than the salesperson, the service advisor, and often the tech who does the work. I am a rare bird on the showroom floor.

Most people ARE concerned about color (how many color threads do we have here and at every forum I've seen on the 'Net for ANY car???), and they really don't know a lot about the car they're buying. They want to be told they look good in the car. Seriously. So offering a lesser model is a way of getting you in the car you want to be seen in, without having price pressure you get from the more exclusive models. It is a common tactic by the manufacturers, the dealers, and the salesmen to offer you something that looks the same but doesn't cost as much so you "get what you want." Many, many times the person just like you says, "yeah, I know I can't really afford the SRT-8, but I still want one..." and the conversation goes from there to a closed deal.

At any rate, the sales team's job is to know as much about the selling features of the car as possible. They should be able to demonstrate these features as well. If they can't then they aren't doing what they need to do to be successful selling cars. As I have said before, my Longo salesperson, Elise Fong, demonstrated ALL the features of the car, paired my Treo 650, and spent an entire hour to ensure I knew exactly what I was buying. I've never had a better car delivery anywhere.
Old 07-22-07, 02:12 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search. Search. Search.
Old 07-22-07, 10:25 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

Mine came on today I must have been speeding OH I was!
Old 07-22-07, 10:48 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

That's how you can tell a good salesperson from a so-so one. A well informed, honest and consciencious sales person will try to inform his/her clients all the devices and gizmos offered on a car especially for sophisticated cars like Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi etc. I try to research the vehicle first and if the seller knows the stuff it's sold. Though not all are well informed about the products they sell they should at least know the basics and should be able to direct you to someone who does. But when in doubt, there's always an owner's manual.
Old 07-22-07, 11:06 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I remember when I picked up my '03 ES 300 and explained some of the obscure features to the salesman, I think he took it as a cue to bone up.
Old 07-23-07, 08:36 AM
devanaire0
Driver

Well, sometimes it's fun to see your salesman squirm a little bit...and know that they have no clue about certain features.

It gets frustrating only when they say a feature is on the car when it is really not...in my experience...auto tilting mirrors when going in reverse. Unfortunately, I already signed and purchased the car by then.
Old 07-23-07, 01:59 PM
Lexyback
Driver School Candidate

^same exact thing happened to me. salesman told me about auto tilt side mirrors when reversing. took me 10 mins of tooling around with the settings at home for me to realize that the car didnt even have the feature...wasnt too disappointed tho...i could surely live w/o the feature
Old 07-23-07, 03:45 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Just wondering while were on the ring topic, has anyone had there orange ring go out and need it to be replaced??
Old 07-23-07, 05:33 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

+1

It's the techs I want to know everything about the cars...the salesmen...I could care less as long as they've got the basics down.
Old 07-23-07, 06:59 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
Just wondering while were on the ring topic, has anyone had there orange ring go out and need it to be replaced??
I can't come up with a good reason to replace it if it went out.
Old 07-23-07, 09:12 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

read your manual! i just learned i can open all my windows holding the unlock button... lmao
Old 07-23-07, 09:13 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
I can't come up with a good reason to replace it if it went out.
easy change it to a different color ring! i would to blue