IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Amber speed warning circle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 06:22 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default The Amber speed warning circle

on the speedometer apparently comes on when you are speding.

1- Is this feature menu controlled?
2- Can you select the speed it trips at, or can only the dealer set it?
3- Is there anyway to see what speed it is for?
Old 07-21-07, 06:27 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can adjust the orange speed and tach, it is a circular button on the left underside of the steering wheel with arrow buttons pointing left and right to the side which allow you to adjust the orange, the red however is stationary
Old 07-21-07, 06:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

The orange one you can adjust. The red one is permanently set at 100 MPH.
Old 07-21-07, 09:56 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, you can change the settings yourself. Check owner's manual under speedo and tach warning lights. You can change the settings using the satellite control on the left side of the steeing wheel.
Old 07-22-07, 08:07 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by is4fsr
OP, you can change the settings yourself. Check owner's manual under speedo and tach warning lights. You can change the settings using the satellite control on the left side of the steeing wheel.
Thanks.
I was just at the dealers asking them about it. Wonder why they didn't tell me where the adjustment control was?
Old 07-22-07, 08:49 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..... owners manual man....
Old 07-22-07, 09:03 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your highly sophisticated ISx50 has an internal tracking device that link your car to the highway partrol cops via satelite. Whenever the red ring comes on, the closest highway patrol officer to you will know that someone near him is speeding over 100MPH. Don't even let the red ring come on!!!

J/k lol
Old 07-22-07, 09:45 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Thanks.
I was just at the dealers asking them about it. Wonder why they didn't tell me where the adjustment control was?
The owner's manual should be the first source of information, or do a search on CL. The dealer just can't be expected to know every in and out of each car.
Old 07-22-07, 10:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
The owner's manual should be the first source of information, or do a search on CL. The dealer just can't be expected to know every in and out of each car.
I don't buy that. They're selling the car. The sales staff should know how to adjust all the features on the car. Mine surely did, and I got a smokin' deal too. I would never let a customer suffer for a product I sell because I didn't know how to configure it.
Old 07-22-07, 10:25 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't buy that. They're selling the car. The sales staff should know how to adjust all the features on the car. Mine surely did, and I got a smokin' deal too. I would never let a customer suffer for a product I sell because I didn't know how to configure it.
I would think they'd be informed about something that obvious, it really does come out and hit you in the face.

BTW, I checked the manual, first pass all I found was that informed you when you were speeding.
Old 07-22-07, 10:26 AM
AntLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red one is permanently set at 100 MPH.
Its also set on the tach after 7000 rpms....accidentally learned this when i forgot to shift
Old 07-22-07, 10:27 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by tt061880
Your highly sophisticated ISx50 has an internal tracking device that link your car to the highway partrol cops via satelite. Whenever the red ring comes on, the closest highway patrol officer to you will know that someone near him is speeding over 100MPH. Don't even let the red ring come on!!!

J/k lol
Is that why they call it the satelite control?LOL
Old 07-22-07, 10:27 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by AntLexus
Its also set on the tach after 7000 rpms....accidentally learned this when i forgot to shift

Discovered this when adjusting the speedo.
Old 07-22-07, 10:31 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by ben_r_
..... owners manual man....
Real men don't ask directions (that's why I got the GPS) and don't need no stinking manual (that's why we have forums).

I also drive by the first rule of Italian race car drivers, Don't worry about where you've been, so I ripped out the rear view mirror.
Old 07-22-07, 10:54 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
In a perfect world, yes, they should know every feature on every model car they sell. But reality rears it's head, and with an owner's manual comprising many hundreds of pages it is unrealistic to expect every salesperson to know every detail that is available. If your's did that is great. Mine was ok on the usual stuff, but I wouldn't expect him to know all the details as to what speed the ring comes on right off the top of his head or exactly how to adjust it without referring to the manual. There are many features on the car that can be adjusted or tweaked, and if you count the Nav unit, it runs into the hundreds. Even after a year of ownership I still have to refer to the manual to refresh my memory, and I own the car. Salesmen are around the cars every day, but they aren't taking the manuals home at night to read while they nod off to sleep.

In general I think the salesman's game could, and should, be lifted, but I want them to know more about the basic stuff and not serve as a substitute for the owner to read the owner's manual. If I want to know something I'll pull out the manual first before I would call the sales or tech people for support.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-22-07 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: The Amber speed warning circle