IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bet this hasn't happened to you!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 07:05 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
i would have gotten out of my car and pulled them off and told the homeless guy to beat it and sort it out with the other guy. either that or chase that crazy driver down.
Well... the driver was about twice my size. And he was already clearly ticked off. So, I didn't want to give him any reason to feel like he had to fight me too.
Old 07-24-07, 07:06 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your car, man.

Houston truly does suck when it comes to the homeless.

I work in downtown Houston and it's like walking through a battle zone everyday just to walk a block to try and avoid them. There have been times, often, I may add, that I've been hit up within a four block range by at least three demanding money. Some get pissed off at you now. It's ridiculous!

Houston has a "Panhandling" law against them, but these laws don't apply to them, because it's a free stay in a bed and three squares a day. It's the same old adage that laws don't apply to criminals either, if they recognized them, there would be no use for the law in the first place.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-24-07, 07:16 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Oh my! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident! I would have called the police right then and there. At the very least, you should make out a police report.

Nothing against the homeless, but personally I can't stand when they are on the corners. Down here in South Florida it seems as if every corner, even in the nicer areas, has two or three homeless people wearing bright yellow shirts tyring to sell you their crappy little flyer while hiding behind the 1st Amendment to "work" the intersection. Of course there are those with their cardboard signs in plan clothes asking for a handout as well.

You guys, well, are men. Now put yourself in a womans' perspective. Pulling up to most every major intersection and having homeless people surround the car is not something a woman is comfortable with.
Old 07-24-07, 07:23 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Oh my! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident! I would have called the police right then and there. At the very least, you should make out a police report.

Nothing against the homeless, but personally I can't stand when they are on the corners. Down here in South Florida it seems as if every corner, even in the nicer areas, has two or three homeless people wearing bright yellow shirts tyring to sell you their crappy little flyer while hiding behind the 1st Amendment to "work" the intersection. Of course there are those with their cardboard signs in plan clothes asking for a handout as well.

You guys, well, are men. Now put yourself in a womans' perspective. Pulling up to most every major intersection and having homeless people surround the car is not something a woman is comfortable with.

I hear you! My wife drives around Westheimer in Houston (the street where the OP had this incident occur), and I fear for her. She and I carry conceiled weapons at times, and I keep mine handy, but she stopped carrying hers when we had kids (twins) for safety reasons.

Like a prior poster said, if I have a need, I simply lay my Ruger on the dash. However, I'm not a violent person, so I try to avoid those intersections altogether.

Be safe!!
Old 07-24-07, 07:28 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That part of Houston is usually not too bad. I didn't realize the bums and lowlife were moving that far west. Try the Paintless Dent Repair .... I had a nice dent on a fender once and they got it out and you never could tell it was dented.
Well, the Galleria is normally where the rich in Houston shop, so naturally it will draw those looking to get some pocket change. I usually get take 610 north and take the Westheimer exit to the Galleria, and 99% of the time, there is always someone standing there to wash my windshield, or asking for money.

It has been that way for quite some time near that intersection. I sometimes go up to the next exit and swing back around to Westheimer to avoid it.
Old 07-24-07, 07:32 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I hear you! My wife drives around Westheimer in Houston (the street where the OP had this incident occur), and I fear for her. She and I carry conceiled weapons at times, and I keep mine handy, but she stopped carrying hers when we had kids (twins) for safety reasons.

Like a prior poster said, if I have a need, I simply lay my Ruger on the dash. However, I'm not a violent person, so I try to avoid those intersections altogether.

Be safe!!
My husband is viewing this thread with me. While tempted to display the weapon, it is a 3rd degree felony to do so (at least in Florida). Something should be done about this on-going problem. Where is the "government" when it is needed?
Old 07-24-07, 07:34 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

This wasn't in the Galleria area. This was at Kirkwood & Westheimer. Not the most upscale place but no where near the worst either. Just goes to prove that anything can happen. Wrong place / wrong time. No matter where you are. To be honest, though, I'm just glad neither had a gun. Who knows what could have happened with a stray bullet. I'll take this freak accident over a freak accident involving a bullet in my car or head!
Old 07-24-07, 07:43 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
To be honest, though, I'm just glad neither had a gun. Who knows what could have happened with a stray bullet. I'll take this freak accident over a freak accident involving a bullet in my car or head!
Yeah, I agree. For those that say pull out the Luger and lay it on the dash, a gun should not be used as a tool to intimidate people. You pull out your gun when you feel threatened, and ready to shoot to kill. I don't want to be confronted by a maniac with a gun because they feel I cut them off in traffic. In TX you have the right to carry a concealed weapon, use the right responsibly. Holster those bad boys, and drive friendly.
Old 07-24-07, 10:08 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
In TX you have the right to carry a concealed weapon, use the right responsibly. Holster those bad boys, and drive friendly.
I completely agree. We have this right in Texas, and I exercise it. However, there is nothing I hate more than having someone approach my car for change, or to wash my windshield. I do realize that this individual could easily be packing a gun as well, hence the reason why I try to avoid the situation altogether by driving an extra mile to get to where I need to go.

I feel for the OP, but the prior post by the OP is sobering. Nothing worse than having a stray bullet hit an innocent person. We can all fix dents in our cars, but some things can't be fixed.
Old 07-24-07, 10:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My firearms stay at home BUT i do have a 3D cell maglite that fits very nicely in the forearm *tonfa* style next to the driver seat controls, its a useful tool should the NEW LEXUS breakdown rather than an instrument for YOURFAULT insurance
Old 07-25-07, 03:21 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man what happen to all the bums who just stand on the street with damm signs....lol...sucks man i hate people messing up the car and yourself having to fix it
Old 07-25-07, 05:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry about the dent...I'd go with paintless dent repair as well...

btw Houston sucks -- I can say this becuz I live there (Woodlands)