How long did you wait?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 11:32 AM
poydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did you wait?

Hi guys, my second post here.

I put in a locate order for my dealer in Chicago about 4 weeks ago. I wanted a IS 250 AWD Starfire Pearl w/ Tan interior, Nav and premium package. I've been constantly calling him for updates and he's keeps saying he's trying to locate the car for a dealer trade. This past Friday he tells me he has to put me on a inventory allocation.

I already put down a $2000 deposit and I'm thinking how much longer do i have to wait for this car?!!! It's going to be 2008 models coming out soon. Should I wait? Are there gonna be any significant changes?

Sigh.... i'm so jealous of other IS owners right now.
Old 07-25-07, 11:39 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

The wait is usually 3-5 months on average for a special order. I don't know if putting in an inventory allocation is any different to that.

On an extreme case, like mine, I've been waiting since February....
Old 07-25-07, 11:39 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Waited 3ish months for mine.
Old 07-25-07, 12:09 PM
poydog
Driver School Candidate

The sad thing is I keep seeing white IS 250 AWD's in my area and it just makes the wait worse. At this point maybe the 2008 will be worth it.
Old 07-25-07, 12:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poydog
The sad thing is I keep seeing white IS 250 AWD's in my area and it just makes the wait worse. At this point maybe the 2008 will be worth it.
Here in PA, it took them 4 weeks to locate my car: Tungsten/Sterling, AWD, Nav, Lux Pkg. They told me the Lux Pkg was a difficult find. Tungsten was my 3rd color choice--they could not find Breakwater Blue or Matdor Red at all, my 1st 2 choices. Try talking to the GM--see if they can request a re-allocation (i.e., prioritize your color combo to them if it shows up). Also, you could try calling around to dealers near and far and see if one has it, and tell your guy you're ready to pull your deal b/c you found it yourself.
Old 07-25-07, 01:08 PM
windfall12
Driver School Candidate

I think there's a difference between "locate order" and "special order". Locating the car per your spec can take any time from days to months depending on area and how lucky you are.

Special order can take from 3 to 6 months. It took 5 months 3 weeks for me (Seattle, IS 350/Smokey Granite/Cashmere/SP/ML).
Old 07-25-07, 01:46 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

did u have the paperwork?

if not, the dealer is probably doing something shady....
Old 07-25-07, 01:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
did u have the paperwork?

if not, the dealer is probably doing something shady....
Mine faxed me a page that authorized a "dealer trade" if they found one at another dealer (some dealers try and jack you a few hundred bucks to cover the flatbed retrival costs).

I did not special order (although I was told, w/o seeing paperwork, that one was automatically processed on the last day of the month I put down my deposit, just in case they couldn't locate one).
Old 07-25-07, 01:52 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

5 months here [special order].
Old 07-25-07, 02:49 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

i waited somewhere between a week and a half and two weeks. the dealer didn't have the car i wanted, but there happened to be one coming over on a boat right when i wanted my car so it was good timing. they ended up finding another one at another dealership in the same state so i ended up getting that one instead of the one on the boat. it was a couple days faster.
Old 07-25-07, 02:52 PM
poydog
Driver School Candidate

Bummer dude. Well i have paperwork that says to locate a car for me, they won't charge me a delivery fee if they got it from someone else, problem is no one seems to be letting go of theirs! One was a local dealer who I had gone too but the price was too much. They probably knew i went to another dealer. 2 more were "several hundred" miles away but they didn't succeed in getting it.

As far as inventory allocation it seems that it's not a special order but rather seeing if they can get my model/trim re-allocated to the dealer. Ones that haven't arrived yet but are on order.
Old 07-25-07, 03:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poydog
Bummer dude. Well i have paperwork that says to locate a car for me, they won't charge me a delivery fee if they got it from someone else, problem is no one seems to be letting go of theirs! One was a local dealer who I had gone too but the price was too much. They probably knew i went to another dealer. 2 more were "several hundred" miles away but they didn't succeed in getting it.

As far as inventory allocation it seems that it's not a special order but rather seeing if they can get my model/trim re-allocated to the dealer. Ones that haven't arrived yet but are on order.
they did this for me at no cost also, i assume you are talking about McGrath? but either way they did that for me and it took them two weeks to get me the car, lucky for me they found it at another dealer...i know they did have a hard time getting it and they had nothing to trade for it. good luck and just stay on top of it....i wouldnt think anything shady from it.
Old 07-25-07, 04:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went in on a tues and i had to wait ALL THE WAY to thrus to pick up my car. Totally unbearable
Old 07-25-07, 04:27 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I went in on a tues and i had to wait ALL THE WAY to thrus to pick up my car. Totally unbearable
Now you're just rubbing it in
Old 07-25-07, 06:06 PM
rroy
Pole Position

The dealer i went to had two 2006 white IS250 manuals--which is exactly what i wanted and could afford. I talked them down for two weeks then it was mine.

Quick Reply: How long did you wait?