IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hypothetical: IS350 vs. Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 12:33 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisha
streetracing is as bad as going 90 on the freeway, it just depends on the environment of the situation. I bet these guys are going to an area where nothings around and the only thing they can harm are rodents.

that being said i think you would win cause i bet money that the boxster's launches wont be that great on a street with debris on it. Plus the clutch will start to heat up and wont engage as well after a few rounds..

If anything, try to find a gas station with 100+ octane to boost up your hp. try here:
http://www.rockettbrand.com/dealers/dealers.htm
It's been my experience that as a clutch heats up it creates more friction and actually engages much better.
Old 07-26-07, 02:17 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I say go for it - its a close competition and a worthwhile bet.

Like previously persons have said lighten your load, deflate the rear tires down to 25 psi, inflate the fronts to 40-45 psi, 1/4 tank of gas, remember to disengage traction control (I'd practice power braking with trac off, I've found 2200-2500rpm is the sweet spot, hooks up well), use power mode and your set to go.

The IS350 is a worthy competitor out there, we actually get babied a bit since we don't have a manual but a solid automatic that does pretty damn well in a drag race situation.
Old 07-26-07, 02:28 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES3
I'm afraid you're gonna have your hands full if that Boxster S pulls mid to low 13's.

On my first time out the best I could do with just under a half tank, tire removed was a 13.76. My buddy's SRT8 300m, was consistently pulling 13.5's. Pics below.

Here's my time slip.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...j2lAN-EQ&gid=4
Now mind you, corrected time, considering density I was closer to around a 13.4 or so, but it's all relative. At the very least go take a couple practice laps and search the car mags to verify how fast they say a Boxster S can do the same thing. Good luck, but I wouldn't do it for money, just a handshake. Save your money for boost, THEN go race him again!

Wow, you guys even changed lanes in the middle of your run!
Old 07-26-07, 03:26 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by ES3
I'm afraid you're gonna have your hands full if that Boxster S pulls mid to low 13's.

On my first time out the best I could do with just under a half tank, tire removed was a 13.76. My buddy's SRT8 300m, was consistently pulling 13.5's. Pics below.

Here's my time slip.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...j2lAN-EQ&gid=4
Now mind you, corrected time, considering density I was closer to around a 13.4 or so, but it's all relative. At the very least go take a couple practice laps and search the car mags to verify how fast they say a Boxster S can do the same thing. Good luck, but I wouldn't do it for money, just a handshake. Save your money for boost, THEN go race him again!
The 300M has you one up on the IS350 period, It has the built in 40 oz of 'ol English in the brown paper bag.
Old 07-26-07, 03:45 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

A few of you have said 300M... it's a 300C.
Old 07-26-07, 03:48 PM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by car_lost
A few of you have said 300M... it's a 300C.
Actually isn't it the SRT-8? I didn' think a straigh 300c could hang with us. Maybe I'm wrong...
Old 07-26-07, 04:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

idk whoes going to win, all i can say is good luck and have fun with it
Old 07-26-07, 04:33 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

i don't know about the 07s, but i've always thought the boxsters were jokes. they're like miatas with porsche emblems. i know they upped the hp by a substantial amount on the new ones though.
Old 07-26-07, 04:40 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

^^have you driven one....hard?

I agree that they started out as a poor-man's-porsche, but the recent iterations are almost as good as their preceding generation of 911s, which gets a huge thumbs up in my book.
Old 07-26-07, 04:44 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

^^^ i wouldn't want to drive a girl's car lol. they're about as manly as a miata in my opinion. but i don't deny that they are lightweight and have more power than the previous boxsters. they could be pretty good autox cars if people used them for it. i don't really hate them that much...just messing around.
Old 07-26-07, 07:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Boxter S??? ........Real sports car???

:lol:
Old 07-26-07, 08:01 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dspIS250
^^^ i wouldn't want to drive a girl's car lol. they're about as manly as a miata in my opinion. but i don't deny that they are lightweight and have more power than the previous boxsters. they could be pretty good autox cars if people used them for it. i don't really hate them that much...just messing around.
A general poll of the public would probably reveal that more people think the IS is a girl's car than the boxster. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if they are based on something grounded in reality and/or experience it is more meaningful for others.

FWIW, there are a large swath of people who swear by the track abilities of their miatas. To each his/her own.
Old 07-26-07, 09:23 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

lol buy an intake(which he will not see), clean out your car, run with a quarter tank. If it is stick u should beat him. If its auto it will be close, guess we can find out
Old 07-26-07, 10:34 PM
LexFather

It'll be a good race b/c he has to shift PERFECTLY to beat you. One good thing about autos, you can't mess up an acceleration run unless your IQ is 3.

As soon as the corners come, FORGET about it. That Porsche is gone!
Old 07-26-07, 11:54 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
A general poll of the public would probably reveal that more people think the IS is a girl's car than the boxster.
Enjoying both of these fine cars, I couldn't agree more. The Miata offers great bang for the buck, but it isn't half the car that the Boxster is. An extensive test drive of both will prove that. However, they are both SPORTS cars, the IS is a fine, 4 door, slush box, sedan.

The Boxster S is simply the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car made....there is no substitute! Unless you want a hard top...then it's the Cayman S.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical: IS350 vs. Boxster S?