IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hypothetical: IS350 vs. Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 05:46 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boxster S is simply the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car made....there is no substitute????????

You damn right there is no substitute. IT IS THE SUBSTITUTE. It's not even the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car within its brand. First of all, you can't even take that thing to a real track without bolting on a roll cage. And really Boxters, S or not, are basically for people who can't afford the real thing, but still want the badge. Kinda like IS250, BMW318's, and whatever else MB is churning out these days at the bottom of the barrel. The only thing it's good for is fooling 90% of chicks into thinking they are sitting in a real Porsche.

Originally Posted by fantom
Enjoying both of these fine cars, I couldn't agree more. The Miata offers great bang for the buck, but it isn't half the car that the Boxster is. An extensive test drive of both will prove that. However, they are both SPORTS cars, the IS is a fine, 4 door, slush box, sedan.

The Boxster S is simply the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car made....there is no substitute! Unless you want a hard top...then it's the Cayman S.
Old 07-27-07, 06:03 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

What... Boxster S is a great car.

So what if it's entry level? Isn't the IS an entry level Lexus as well?

Don't forget to get some race gas, or at least octane booster. Weight reduction is important as well. Remember to starve yourself 3 days prior and take a big crap as well as some ipecac to clean out your stomach Lastly, race naked.
Old 07-27-07, 06:41 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster S is simply the best handling. . .SPORTS car made.

Let's not go crazy, here.
Old 07-27-07, 06:45 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815
What... Boxster S is a great car.

So what if it's entry level? Isn't the IS an entry level Lexus as well?

Don't forget to get some race gas, or at least octane booster. Weight reduction is important as well. Remember to starve yourself 3 days prior and take a big crap as well as some ipecac to clean out your stomach Lastly, race naked.
Does race gas really help?? There was an extensive argument about it over on the Lotus boards:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30524

...which convinced me that it really didn't do a damn thing. And keep in mind, this is an apples-to-apples Toyota technology comparison.
Old 07-27-07, 07:38 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishfan
Does race gas really help?? There was an extensive argument about it over on the Lotus boards:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30524

...which convinced me that it really didn't do a damn thing. And keep in mind, this is an apples-to-apples Toyota technology comparison.

NO! The only thing race gas does is slows the combustion process. Allows for more control during combustion. I.E. more power higher octane.
Old 07-27-07, 07:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Octane higher then 91, will do NOTHING!

Koz
Old 07-27-07, 07:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Boxster S is simply the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car made....there is no substitute????????

You damn right there is no substitute. IT IS THE SUBSTITUTE. It's not even the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car within its brand. First of all, you can't even take that thing to a real track without bolting on a roll cage. And really Boxters, S or not, are basically for people who can't afford the real thing, but still want the badge. Kinda like IS250, BMW318's, and whatever else MB is churning out these days at the bottom of the barrel. The only thing it's good for is fooling 90% of chicks into thinking they are sitting in a real Porsche.
Sir, while people might clown Boxter (or Coxter) owners for not having a 911, people might clown IS owners for having the entry level Lexus.

On top of that the car is WONDERFUL and has won every single comparison it is in, in ever single magazine.
THe BMW Z4 and M4 gets its rear handed to it everytime. The car is COMPLETE, speed and handling.

I suggest you go drive one before you make such poorly judged comments. The Boxster S is the REAL DEAL.

Some even prefer its mid-engine layout to the rear-engine 911.
Old 07-27-07, 07:55 AM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sir, while people might clown Boxter (or Coxter) owners for not having a 911, people might clown IS owners for having the entry level Lexus.

On top of that the car is WONDERFUL and has won every single comparison it is in, in ever single magazine.
THe BMW Z4 and M4 gets its rear handed to it everytime. The car is COMPLETE, speed and handling.

I suggest you go drive one before you make such poorly judged comments. The Boxster S is the REAL DEAL.

Yet they make BMWs seem reliable. Porsches are NOT cheap to maintain, nor are they good daily drivers.
Old 07-27-07, 08:05 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

I've seen enough of them on my rear view mirror at glen and limerock to know I don't want a boxter. For basically same money I rather have cayman instead, and really I rather have used 911 - with all its faults from rear-engine to oil leaks - than brand new boxter anyday and twice on a track day.

And if you think boxter is "better" in whatever positive way vs 911 than you are smoking something that's not legal. 911>>>>cayman>>boxter.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Last edited by kt22cliff; 07-27-07 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-27-07, 08:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
Yet they make BMWs seem reliable. Porsches are NOT cheap to maintain, nor are they good daily drivers.

what?! Porsches are THE most reliable German car made, as reliable as any Lexus...(maybe with the exception of the Cayman)..
Old 07-27-07, 08:37 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The Boxster S is simply the best handling, most balanced, practical and reliable SPORTS car made....there is no substitute! Unless you want a hard top...then it's the Cayman S.

...Put down the crack pipe....or the kool aid, which ever you are high on right now.
Old 07-27-07, 08:40 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

it's true--they are very high quality / reliable---it's just that their parts are extremely expensive and labor-intensive due to the layout (i.e. a routine 60k maintenance will cost big bucks vs. a normal car)
Old 07-27-07, 06:46 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
...you are high on right now.
Grow up!

I'm high on the joy of owning, driving, and emjoying almost 100,000 trouble free Boxster miles in the past nine years.

I'm done trying to advise those with strong opinions, no experience, and baseless posts.