IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS350 vs. semi truck rear bar at 2mph equals...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 03:54 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!! I'm guessing you hit the metal bars that hang low on those trucks? 3,000lbs pushing against one little spot
Old 07-26-07, 04:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OH NO!!!

Are you sure the engine bay is o.k? How did the engine bay emblem fall off?
Old 07-26-07, 04:22 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago but I was on a light which was greet and the truck in the left lane was turning left so I started going into the right lane to pass him but there was a car double parked on the right lane and I didn't make it because the rear bumper of the truck is sticking out far to the sides. It also was at about 2mph. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. The only damage that I have is the front left side bumper is cracked, headlight has 2 deep scratches and my front sensor and headlight washer nozle is gone. It's about $1,500 in damage (without replacing headlight) mostly because of the sensor and headlight nozle and actuator.
Old 07-26-07, 04:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
WOW!! I'm guessing you hit the metal bars that hang low on those trucks? 3,000lbs pushing against one little spot
There was probably just a few hundred pounds of force.
Old 07-26-07, 04:46 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

big car always wins.. in this case truck =/

but yea since the truck didnt really move when you hit. the force on impact doubled onto your car .. (i think thats how action/reaction works.) also since it was directed into a point.. mainly your driver side light/hood.. the damage would be more

Last edited by vwynn; 07-26-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 04:58 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
OH NO!!!

Are you sure the engine bay is o.k? How did the engine bay emblem fall off?
+1

Something doesn't seem right if the engine bay emblem got knocked off. Could it be that it was already loose before, and just fell off on impact?
Old 07-26-07, 05:04 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Wow that looks really bad, but then again it could have been alot worse.
Old 07-26-07, 05:07 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
how can so much damage come from rolling at 2mph into someone or something else? It just seems kind of ridiculous. 4000$ just because I looked left and right instead of straight forward at a stop sign... oh the prices we pay for the smallest of mistakes. Anyway, just thought I would share.
There's more damage than you're realizing. The reason the emblem popped off of the engine valve bank cover is that the engine bay actually got compressed from that side enough to where the engine v-bank cover flexed. Check out the front engine cover - it's popped off, and all the clips are missing.

I just hope that the car's frame wasn't affected.

Javier
Old 07-26-07, 05:09 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
There's more damage than you're realizing. The reason the emblem popped off of the engine valve bank cover is that the engine bay actually got compressed from that side enough to where the engine v-bank cover flexed. Check out the front engine cover - it's popped off, and all the clips are missing.

I just hope that the car's frame wasn't affected.

Javier
Wow! Great catch Javy!
Old 07-26-07, 05:19 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

...and the hardest color to match no less
Old 07-26-07, 06:13 PM
Butch341
Driver School Candidate

Ouch. It pains me to see such a beautiful car in that shape. How some ever nobody was injured, the damage is fixable, and we move on. I've made plenty of small mistakes that have cost me big as well. It's a little hard to believe at first, but that's just the way it goes. You can't look at it in any other way. I dinged my car today. It was totally my fault. I'm so mad at myself, but that's just the way it goes. It will probably cost a small fortune to fix because it not only made a dent, it scratched some of the paint off too. No matter how careful you are, something always happens. Stinks, but we can at least fix em' you know?

I wish you the best. Your car will be good as new before you know it!

Last edited by Butch341; 07-26-07 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 06:16 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Though it makes much more sense thinking about it a few hours later, it still amazes me how much damage those rear semi truck bars can do when applied to a specific area of the car (in my case, the headlamp) at such a low speed. I'm beating myself up over it constantly.

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Does that mean my engine got messed up too? When I took off the covers it didn't seem like the damage intruded into the engine bay much; heck, the area behind the headlamp is still ok. The damage did pop the tie bar up though, which is what caused the front engine cover to pop up like it did. But you are right, the only way that L symbol could have popped off is if the engine itself got flexed (or if the painter didn't put it on tightly enough when I got it repainted?)

Gosh I hope my engine isn't ruined too...

It was weird because two days ago, a shovel fell off a truck in front of me and I just narrowly missed it. This morning, a whole damn table fell off a truck two cars in front of me and I just narrowly missed it. I guess it was just time, or whatever.
Old 07-26-07, 06:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Does that mean my engine got messed up too? When I took off the covers it didn't seem like the damage intruded into the engine bay much; heck, the area behind the headlamp is still ok. The damage did pop the tie bar up though, which is what caused the front engine cover to pop up like it did. But you are right, the only way that L symbol could have popped off is if the engine itself got flexed (or if the painter didn't put it on tightly enough when I got it repainted?)

Gosh I hope my engine isn't ruined too...
That doesn't necessarily mean your engine is damaged. It just means that something around that area got pushed back into the top of the engine bay. It also could be a little bit of both (i.e. your painter didn't fasten the emblem good enough). Heck, it might have even been the hood the way it's crumpled.

Javier
Old 07-26-07, 06:55 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

damnnnn! glad you're ok. not to worry you, but im wondering how much it's gunna cost to repaint all of that with that glacier pearl..good luck, im sure everything will work out fine
Old 07-26-07, 06:58 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was weird because two days ago, a shovel fell off a truck in front of me and I just narrowly missed it. This morning, a whole damn table fell off a truck two cars in front of me and I just narrowly missed it. I guess it was just time, or whatever.

hey a little advice. i'd stop following trucks!

Quick Reply: My IS350 vs. semi truck rear bar at 2mph equals...