IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 vs Evo8MR

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 08:22 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, personal attacks to get your point across. I'll resume the debate when you can use your indoor voice.
Old 07-26-07, 08:32 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Anyway, to the OP, you'll most likely not win a race if the other driver is competent with a manual.
Old 07-26-07, 08:35 PM
mir
Driver

No matter who wins.. YOU will still have your Lexus and umm he will have his Mitsu... So I guess you will go home winner.
Old 07-26-07, 08:44 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Belmont
Anyway, to the OP, you'll most likely not win a race if the other driver is competent with a manual.
There, perfect example...well said. I agree, but the 4wd helps out a lot and you can pretty much drop the clutch at 5k and get moving in a hurry with those things. I wonder how bad the evo driver would have to screw up to lose from a dig? I've never driven one but I've heard some teenagers do some dumb(read grind gears like coffee beans) trying to take off at a light....and they still got moving pretty good.
Old 07-26-07, 08:45 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Mmmmm!

Well dont know how it is in the states but I stay away of evos and sti since they are alway trickout to the extreme here in Puerto Rico.

PS. I saw a evo spank a cayman s like it was a 95hp car next to him.
Old 07-26-07, 08:46 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

same here, for the most part

The thing that bugs me is that I mostly see young kids in them, clearly bought and modded by their parents or with their parent's money.

So I've gotta ask, did their parents take out huge insurance policies on them are are hoping to collect, or are there other reasons they want their kids dead?
Old 07-26-07, 10:54 PM
dan206
Pole Position

watch this then think again.. haha that car is insane....

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2818523
Old 07-26-07, 10:55 PM
V.I.P.
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
same here, for the most part

The thing that bugs me is that I mostly see young kids in them, clearly bought and modded by their parents or with their parent's money.

So I've gotta ask, did their parents take out huge insurance policies on them are are hoping to collect, or are there other reasons they want their kids dead?
so what do you consider a young kid because i was 18 when i paid for my sti (315hp) and then i sold it for and evo (340hp) widebody got bored of that after an 8 month build and bought a lexus is as an impulse buy.
Old 07-26-07, 10:59 PM
V.I.P.
Pole Position

if you do race the evo make sure its bone stock cause with a downpipe, exhaust, cam and tune it will do circles around you.
Old 07-26-07, 11:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There, perfect example...well said. I agree, but the 4wd helps out a lot and you can pretty much drop the clutch at 5k and get moving in a hurry with those things. I wonder how bad the evo driver would have to screw up to lose from a dig?
say no more, because...

as a former regular at the socalevo.net forums, based on what i've read/heard/saw a large majority of evo owners (that still run stock/street clutch setups) do not recommend the 5k clutch-dumping launch. the clutch is the weak link in the evo drivetrain (the center diff coming a close second), and as such a 5k clutch dump can result in disaster (i.e. immediate clutch disintegration, broken center diff, you get the idea).

now the STi, you CAN do the 5k clutch dump... /OT

without a perfectly clean launch, the evo can and probably still do high 13s or low 14s, mostly due to its tenacious traction via all wheel drive.

good thing with the is350 is, stomp the gas and let'er rip. let the computer do the legwork for you; just focus on where you're going.
Old 07-26-07, 11:18 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
In the first place why do you care. You have your car and he has his . If one is quicker is it going to change anything. Also where are you going to "race"? On a public street...illegal, risk of being caught, higher insurance premiums. This is a fool's game usually practiced by juveniles or the inebriated (met him in a bar) where everone loses...except the lawyers. Why play it. Grow up!
Originally Posted by Belmont
NGG, this is a car enthusiasts forum. Some people here are interested in things like performance.

If you aren't, might I recommend a home & garden forum? Perhaps growing tomatoes might be more up your alley.

In some areas of the world, there are these neat things called drag strips. You see, people who are car enthusiasts can go there to race their cars against one another in the spirit of friendly competition.

Get off your moral high horse and quit making assumptions.
Nice, personal attacks to get your point across. I'll resume the debate when you can use your indoor voice.

I'm watching...

Javier
Old 07-26-07, 11:20 PM
LexFather

I have inside info to battle the Evo MR, an IS 350 MR is coming. Features
-comes with a free subscription to Car and Driver
-Carbon fiber hood and door handles
-manual seats, windows, doors.
-Plastic Windows
-New SMG II CVT 8 speed auto
-lightweight 15" Volk wheels to save weight
-standard window tint so no one can see you in it
-free DVD from Jeremy Clakson
Old 07-26-07, 11:23 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^HAHAHAHAHA!!! I heard it's got plastic folding chairs instead of back seats to save weight, and paper floor mats...

Javier
Old 07-26-07, 11:30 PM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

haha wow that video shows alot... well yea i tried vsing him and i lost... maybe because im a noob driver and hes more experienced then me.. any tips on how i might be able to win? heh because i had fun vsing him and he also took me around to block of him actually driving.... wow i was amazed on how fast he was going and stuff like that... well thanks for all the replies if theres any tips on beating him please share =)
Old 07-26-07, 11:32 PM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddquach
Hey Chris, can I get a run on it too..
lol come down to ktown and give me a call ill match u up with him haha

Quick Reply: IS350 vs Evo8MR