IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Naked Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 11:59 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As forest's father use to say lesson # 1 : Always use protection.
Old 07-27-07, 12:19 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Yes it does look amazing, but I just don't know how well it protects from rocks? Also I'm not buying the look so much. Just bite the bullet and get a clear bra on specially if you will be driving roads that kick-up stuff. I just wished I had my bra installed right after I bought my car, I waited a week and two rock chips too late. Oh well shai happens.
Old 07-27-07, 01:16 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I commented about the spray on stuff in a previous post. While I like the idea and think its cool, I'd be scared as hell to spray that stuff on a 3 month old car. Like tmag said, I'm not sure how well it protects against rock chips which is the whole point of this thread.
Old 07-27-07, 01:20 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered the CF Bra from Colgan. They said it should be here Wednesday! Just in time for my road trip. I'll post pics if people want to see.
Old 07-27-07, 01:26 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buds
I just ordered the CF Bra from Colgan. They said it should be here Wednesday! Just in time for my road trip. I'll post pics if people want to see.
Did you order online or by phone? I've heard it can take up to 3 weeks. I don't recall if my email gave a ship date, but I'm checking now.
Old 07-27-07, 01:30 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Did you order online or by phone? I've heard it can take up to 3 weeks. I don't recall if my email gave a ship date, but I'm checking now.
I started to order online but when I got to the shipping and saw I could only do Ground I called and ended up placing my order over the phone. They had one in stock and told me it would ship this afternoon. If it doesn't get here by friday, I'm screwed, lol.
Old 07-27-07, 01:36 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

I started to order online but when I got to the shipping and saw I could only do Ground I called and ended up placing my order over the phone. They had one in stock and told me it would ship this afternoon. If it doesn't get here by friday, I'm screwed, lol.
I just called them, and they said that had one for me in stock also, along with my mirror covers, and that it would ship out on Monday. They said a tracking number would be emailed to me.

I was looking for these at the Lexus dealer, and they had one for every model except the IS. I guess they get better margin on the clear bra. LOL!

Takes some pics. I have the SGM, so I'll post mine also after install. Good luck!
Old 07-27-07, 01:40 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
I remembered someone mentioned about the edge of the bra will scratch the hood....if you want to go with the bra...u should put some pedding on the hood to prevent scratches.....
I actually plan to line the edges by putting some microfiber strips there. It will make the fit tighter also. Though the Colgan folks I just spoke with ensured me that if installed properly, there would be no issues.
Old 07-27-07, 01:41 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

lol hope you didnt take mine! I'm supposed to get a tracking number this afternoon so we'll see if they actually sent it to me like they said they would. Do you have a front license plate?

I was surprised that the dealers didnt have them as well. They'd probably charge $500 for them anyways.
Old 07-27-07, 01:48 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

lol hope you didnt take mine! I'm supposed to get a tracking number this afternoon so we'll see if they actually sent it to me like they said they would. Do you have a front license plate?

I was surprised that the dealers didnt have them as well. They'd probably charge $500 for them anyways.
Not to worry, I actually changed my order to the leather look instead of the carbon fiber look. Yours should be on its way.

I do have a front plate as cops around here look for any reason to stop you (Houston has them everywhere), so I made sure to get a front plate cutout.

Let me know how it goes with Colgan, as you will probaby get yours before me.
Old 07-27-07, 02:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, even though you've already ordered something I'll throw in some comments. I think everyone is too paranoid about getting a nick here and there. It's a car for goodness sake. It will wear out, break down and basically dry up and blow away right before our eyes anyway, so why get so **** about it?

Sure an old fashioned strap on type will help protect you, but damn, they are ugly, and oh so 80's. Part of the joy of owning a sharp looking automobile is being seen in it as it was meant to be seen, not covered up with vinyl. I'd hate to come out and get in my drive in the morning, or after lunch, and see a strap on bra on it. How many chips or nicks you may get depends on the traffic pattern. Most damage occurs on interstates where traffic flings up pieces of crud. If you are out on the highways and byways with long distance between cars you won't pick up any damage. I've driven from Austin to DFW area, as well as Austin to Santa Fe, NM, a total RT mileage of about 2300 miles, plus inumerable trips in the Hill Country and I have about 4 little nicks which I've touched up. That is insignifant as far as I am concerned. Bras and coverings may make sense in a dense urban environment like LA, Houston or NY/NJ, but for people out in the wilds of the USA they aren't needed, imo.
Old 07-27-07, 02:30 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Well, even though you've already ordered something I'll throw in some comments. I think everyone is too paranoid about getting a nick here and there. It's a car for goodness sake. It will wear out, break down and basically dry up and blow away right before our eyes anyway, so why get so **** about it?

Sure an old fashioned strap on type will help protect you, but damn, they are ugly, and oh so 80's. Part of the joy of owning a sharp looking automobile is being seen in it as it was meant to be seen, not covered up with vinyl. I'd hate to come out and get in my drive in the morning, or after lunch, and see a strap on bra on it. How many chips or nicks you may get depends on the traffic pattern. Most damage occurs on interstates where traffic flings up pieces of crud. If you are out on the highways and byways with long distance between cars you won't pick up any damage. I've driven from Austin to DFW area, as well as Austin to Santa Fe, NM, a total RT mileage of about 2300 miles, plus inumerable trips in the Hill Country and I have about 4 little nicks which I've touched up. That is insignifant as far as I am concerned. Bras and coverings may make sense in a dense urban environment like LA, Houston or NY/NJ, but for people out in the wilds of the USA they aren't needed, imo.
I hear you, and you are completely correct about some of us being ****. However, I don't plan to use this bra on an everyday basis. I have to make regular road trips to Louisiana to visit ill parents, and it would be nice to get there and not find several new nicks on my car. I made my first trip there without any sort of protection, and I was appalled at when I saw several nicks in just 280 miles.

My daily commute isn't too bad, so I wouldn't use this bra for that purpose. However, I will never take a trip down I-10 without it.

EDIT: By the way, driving a 3 car distance does no good on the highways. I got my first nick when a truck that was very far in front of me shot a rock at me and hit my roof.

Last edited by IS250 4 Me; 07-27-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 02:54 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choose answer D

tape the whole car everytime you drive it so you never have any rock chips.
Old 07-27-07, 03:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I hear you, and you are completely correct about some of us being ****. However, I don't plan to use this bra on an everyday basis. I have to make regular road trips to Louisiana to visit ill parents, and it would be nice to get there and not find several new nicks on my car. I made my first trip there without any sort of protection, and I was appalled at when I saw several nicks in just 280 miles.

My daily commute isn't too bad, so I wouldn't use this bra for that purpose. However, I will never take a trip down I-10 without it. Besides, it looks better than the blue painter's tape that I've used in the past.

EDIT: By the way, driving a 3 car distance does no good on the highways. I got my first nick when a truck that was very far in front of me shot a rock at me and hit my roof.
I hear you. I drive I-10 between Houston and Beaumont once a week. It is semi-city on that road, and it's mainly under reconstruction. I'm lucky in that I have my 6 yo WRX to drive the gauntlet of semis, idiots in their pickup trucks, and inattentive ***** in their SUV's. But even so I don't have all that many chips on the front bumper.
Old 07-27-07, 03:15 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I hear you. I drive I-10 between Houston and Beaumont once a week. It is semi-city on that road, and it's mainly under reconstruction. I'm lucky in that I have my 6 yo WRX to drive the gauntlet of semis, idiots in their pickup trucks, and inattentive ***** in their SUV's. But even so I don't have all that many chips on the front bumper.
I drive all the way to Baton Rouge, but it isn't as bad once you get past Lake Charles (relatively speaking). The construction spans that far, though they've been wrapping it up lately. I've been protected by the blue painter's tape many times, and when I'm too pressed for time to put it on, I take the Maxima instead. My 1997 Maxima has most of its miles due to I-10 driving, and the front of it looks like its been sanded down. Based on this experience, and my desire to drive my cars for at least 10 years, I've decided to purchase the bra for highway trips.

The stretch from Houston to Beaumont is absolutely brutal. Nothing but 18 wheelers and horrible drivers in their pickup trucks.

Quick Reply: Naked Road Trip