IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do when I "DIY", I break things...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 09:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I hope you are not sharing this observation with your physical therapy clients! :P
Nah. My patients are broken in the first place...

By the way, my AC is now always doing "Fresh." It doesn't "Recirculate" the air, even if I press the Recirculate button...
Old 08-01-07, 10:29 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^ Oh no that don't sound good at all
Old 08-01-07, 11:02 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tt061880
we dont' read the manual because we have done many DIY before. After a while you get familiar with a lot of things, you can just look at it and able to tell how to disassemble and reinstall it before you even touch it.
ROFL, pulling heads to port/replacing a crank is imo a DIY, therefore what you said is very very funny to me.
Old 08-01-07, 11:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Same thing happens to me, something gets broken and then I have to figure if it is necessary to fix it, duct tape it or just forget it.
Old 08-01-07, 11:23 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nah. My patients are broken in the first place...

By the way, my AC is now always doing "Fresh." It doesn't "Recirculate" the air, even if I press the Recirculate button...
Hmm, you must have gorilla hands or big fingers . . .
I did the same, changed my cabin filter but forgot to put to 'recirc'.
I just held the trap door up as I slid the filter assembly out, there was a lot of resistance, but I didn't break anything. Scraped the hell out of my fingers and knuckles, but no damage to the AC. Fresh & Recirc work normally. But now I know better next time (set to recirc before removing filter).

I'm sure you can get this covered under warranty, just have it done at your next service interval . . .
Old 08-01-07, 11:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by socalJD
Hmm, you must have gorilla hands or big fingers . . .
Yeah. It's the PT in me...

Originally Posted by socalJD
I'm sure you can get this covered under warranty, just have it done at your next service interval . . .
I'll ask. I feel guilty having to use the warranty, because it is my fault. However, my service tech takes good care of me...
Old 08-01-07, 01:01 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i did the same exact thing philip i feel bad to for the warrenty thing too. i kinda told the service wriiter it was my fault, he was cool about..... but i do spend alot of money when i do service. i love lexus custermer service
Old 08-01-07, 01:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by demik
i did the same exact thing philip i feel bad to for the warrenty thing too. i kinda told the service wriiter it was my fault, he was cool about..... but i do spend alot of money when i do service. i love lexus custermer service
Yeah. I read your post on the DIY thread. Everything turned out o.k?
Old 08-01-07, 01:21 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yea they replaced the blend door assembly 6xx$ and labor was like 200 or 300$ took it in monday at 2pm was done that night.and picked it up on tuesday...
Old 08-01-07, 02:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing huh how much a piece of plastic can cost
Old 08-01-07, 02:08 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this you?

Last edited by sjgIS350; 08-01-07 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 07:03 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think most of us knew that the air had to be on "recirc" before changing out the filter. I tried it once and it was nearly impossible, and tried it again last week and it was a piece of cake. After reading this, I'm betting I had the air on "fresh" the first time around.
Old 08-01-07, 07:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

OK, since this is a therapy thread, yeah, I did it too. And I broke the shaft with the arm on it that controls the door just like you did. That's how I knew to ask that question. HOWEVER, I took the arm off, drilled a hole down the center of the shaft and installed a 2" long sheet metal screw right through the center of the shaft instead of spending beaucoup dinero on a new assembly. It works like a champ.

I'll bet you were prying the door open and it was almost there, then you heard a click like it released and you opened it up like nothing, eh?

If you were anywhere near me I'd say bring it by and we'll share a cold beverage while we fix your issue and commiserate on how we could be so ignorant and ignore the owner's manual for something so simple. If it has been anything complicated I would have consulted the FSM...
Old 08-01-07, 11:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, since this is a therapy thread, yeah, I did it too. And I broke the shaft with the arm on it that controls the door just like you did. That's how I knew to ask that question. HOWEVER, I took the arm off, drilled a hole down the center of the shaft and installed a 2" long sheet metal screw right through the center of the shaft instead of spending beaucoup dinero on a new assembly. It works like a champ.

I'll bet you were prying the door open and it was almost there, then you heard a click like it released and you opened it up like nothing, eh?

If you were anywhere near me I'd say bring it by and we'll share a cold beverage while we fix your issue and commiserate on how we could be so ignorant and ignore the owner's manual for something so simple. If it has been anything complicated I would have consulted the FSM...
Thank you for the insight. So, there is a "cheap" way to fix it.

However, with my luck on "fixing" things, I will most likely destroy the car trying to do what you did. I think I'll get professional help this time...
Old 08-02-07, 12:47 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the insight. So, there is a "cheap" way to fix it.

However, with my luck on "fixing" things, I will most likely destroy the car trying to do what you did. I think I'll get professional help this time...
dr. phil, i think YOU need professional help. j/k. /OT

with the number of things that have gone awry on your car, haven't you learned your lesson just take it back to the dealership as a warranty repair? /OT again

but without someone doing the trial-and-error method, the rest of the 2is community wouldn't have been able to make heads or tails of the procedure. hope you find a fix for it.

Quick Reply: Why do when I "DIY", I break things...