IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

350 drivers-new tip to make AUTO recir/fresh button stay AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 06:59 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
well my car (06) was in the shop yesterday and the tech said its NOT an LPS setting.....and can't be set to stay on. NAV firmware update supposedly will fix this as someone has reported here.
I'm the person that reported it.

I had the dealer make the LPS change shortly after getting the car, yet it still wouldn't stay in AUTO mode. But ever since getting a new navigation disc as part of the TSIB, it HAS stayed in auto mode, and worked flawlessly.
Old 08-03-07, 09:56 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird.

Mine stays Auto on Both sides with no issues. And my 07 is a month shy of a year old.
Old 08-03-07, 02:49 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Nonsense ..... I had my LPS done last Friday and had the tech set the a/c to remain in manual mode, i.e., I have to manually set the mode, and then it forever stays that way. I've set it to RECIRC and it does not vary unless I change it. Your tech is mistaken.
Nonsense ?!? My IS acts exactly as Bagwell describes. I have a '06 350 with a May build, 5.1x Nav disk w/ 1600 firmware. So I have 2 questions for you:

1. Did you upgrade your Nav disk ?
2. Do you have a build date later than May '06 ?

If the answer is No to both then maybe we aren't describing the exact same events . . .
Old 08-03-07, 06:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'm the person that reported it.

I had the dealer make the LPS change shortly after getting the car, yet it still wouldn't stay in AUTO mode. But ever since getting a new navigation disc as part of the TSIB, it HAS stayed in auto mode, and worked flawlessly.
ok -- I've had the new NAV disc installed but have NOT had the LPS setting changed. However -- as long as I keep using the park brake (which I should anyway) before I shut off the engine, upon next start up it continues to stay in AUTO (both).

I purposely DIDN'T set it tonite and when I started the car again.....it came out of AUTO (the right side).
Old 08-05-07, 07:55 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I always wondered why I couldn't set the recirc/fresh airflow setting on my IS350 to Auto. Thanks for the tip, it seems to stay on auto now.
Old 01-26-08, 10:32 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My switch defaults to the green square under vent setting FRESH when I turn on the car. I can only toggle to RECIRC or AUTO by pushing the button.

I'd like it to default to the AUTO setting and let the climate control figure out the nominal mode (RECIRC or FRESH) based on the circumstances in and out of the cabin.

Can this be done with that push-and-hold trick noted earlier, or must it be addressed at the dealer with LPS checklist in hand?

Is there any reason someone would NOT want the vent mode to default to AUTO when starting the car (ie, starting off in FRESH, as the case is for me now)??
Old 01-27-08, 08:45 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleric
15951, I am not sure if the LPS customizable setting ACTUALLY refers to the SMOG feature because of the way it is stated in the LPS guide. This is how it is stated in my 2006 LPS Guide:
AIR CONDITIONER: #15 Automatic recirculation of air when using A/C

When the air conditioner is ON or in AUTO, the vehicle can be programmed for the following:

Standard Setting: To automatically switch between the recirculation mode and fresh air mode as necessary to meet the temperature requirements set.

Optional Setting: When the climate control is turned on, the user must manually select the desired mode, recirculation or fresh air mode.

I am assuming this is for the SMOG feature because I don't ever recall seeing the light switch between Fresh and Recirc with just Auto Climate control (or A/C alone) enabled. I think Toyota needs to reword this.
OK, I am being a retard on this one ... I don't understand the "trick" that the original poster passed along.

My deal is this-- I turn on my car, push AUTO (button on left side) to start the climate control, and the vent defaults to FRESH (button on right side) every time. I want it to default to AUTO (so that FRESH/RECIRC is chosen automatically). Is this an LPS setting like shown above or a DIY? When I pushed and held the vent direction button, the smog sensitivity came up (it was set on "medium" and I left it alone).

BTW, I always shut the climate control system off before turning off the engine (habit). If I leave it on, the settings (eg, AUTO RECIRC) I had will still be there when I start up the next time.

Sorry to beat this into the ground...
Old 01-28-08, 06:36 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have not tried the parking brake i have the same issue some times it stays in auto for days at a time but then changes.
i dont use the parking brake at all. further, unless your in the habit of using the brake whats the point? if you have to remember to do somthing extra to get it to stay in auto mode you might as well just check to see that it is in auto mode and if it's not, then set it that way...

bottom line its supposed to stay on, logic and common sence makes that obvious. i plan to get the nav update we shall see if that changes anything.
Old 05-24-08, 06:33 AM
Driver School Candidate

Gentlemen I am need of your help! I have an 07 GS350RWD. The recirculation button defaults to ON almost (and yes I did say almost) every time I turn the ignition on. This is VERY uncomfortable as with the warmer weather my car is recirculating hotter and hotter air every second. I switch back to VENT manually but it will default back almost every time to RECIRCULATION mode. I do not have my A/C on at all. Any thoughts on how I can reset the venting option to fresh air vent all the time??????
Old 04-23-09, 03:06 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I just started experiencing this issue, and I'm not sure why.

The goal: To always have the smog setting set to auto, so it can choose between internal air and fresh air.

What I Have: Sometimes after turning off the car and turning the car back on I get auto sometimes not. I have no explanation why.

My config: '08 IS350 w/Lux, ML, Nav.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-09, 07:53 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My car now stays in the auto mode and switches to internal / fresh air automatically. I have a 2006 IS350 and I just updated my nav disk to 8.1 which fixed this issue. I think it did a firmware upgrade. I never had my LPS setting changed either. I told my Lexus service rep about this today and he has confirmed that this will work for the 06 IS350 models only. Any model after 2006 can be done by having the LPS setting changed.
Old 04-28-09, 08:24 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Yeah, I never had any of my LPS settings changed either.

I would say 80% of the time it stays on auto mode (even after I turn the car off and get back in), but 20% of the time (after I re-start the car) it's set to manual. I'm not sure what the deal is. It's not a big deal...but it's an annoyance.
Old 04-28-09, 08:57 AM
Feirax
Driver

Originally Posted by rebs
Yeah, I never had any of my LPS settings changed either.

I would say 80% of the time it stays on auto mode (even after I turn the car off and get back in), but 20% of the time (after I re-start the car) it's set to manual. I'm not sure what the deal is. It's not a big deal...but it's an annoyance.
Same thing here. I'm wondering if it's possibly related to sometimes opening the door before the steering wheel is fully retracted. /shrug