IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

350 drivers-new tip to make AUTO recir/fresh button stay AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 05:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 350 drivers-new tip to make AUTO recir/fresh button stay AUTO

I discovered when you put the car in PARK, engage the PARK (aka Emergency) BRAKE, then shut off the engine, upon start-up again both AUTO buttons will remain on! This was a major pet peeve of mine.

edit -- I've tried this 3 times so far....

Also - I believe the NAV update will accomplish the same thing without using the park brake.

8/2 new update -- to complicate further, I just found out that my dealer DID install (allegedly) the NAV firmware....but it appears I still must apply the park (E) brake for the AUTO to stick. Damn this is confusing.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-02-07 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-01-07, 05:30 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the point of this again?
Old 08-01-07, 05:51 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

When I got my car, I wondered how the auto recirc button worked so I read the manual and found this is the best for me:

If you press the auto button (the button in between the pics of the outside air and re-circ air flow button) If you press and hold the auto button for 2-3 secs you will hear a beep, that sets the a/c for auto so that the a/c will switch between outside air and re-circ air at a moments notice, when the car detects smog, pollution,exhaust outside it will move automatically to re-circ button and then when the car no longer detects smog or pollution it will auto over to the outside air..all while staying on the A/C mode. I have seen it work in action while driving, you can see the light move back and forth as this feature works. Very Cool.

This has worked perfect for me and it's one of the nice things I like about this car, because of this feature I never have to smell exhaust or pollution outside. All I get is new car smell. (breathes deep)
Old 08-01-07, 06:11 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ have to try that, i never knew you could do that...
Old 08-01-07, 06:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 06 IS350, holding down the "auto" button brings up a screen to adjust the sensitivity of the smog sensor. Having the auto button stay on is an LPS setting. On the 06, the default is for auto to be off when you start the car, and they changed it to default to on when starting the car on the 07.
Old 08-01-07, 07:06 PM
grumpyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took me about a week to get it to stay on. Not sure how it happened but it has stayed on Auto for a year now. Must have done one of the above and never knew it.
Old 08-01-07, 07:20 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ha, i didn't know this either.
Old 08-01-07, 07:26 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
On my 06 IS350, holding down the "auto" button brings up a screen to adjust the sensitivity of the smog sensor. Having the auto button stay on is an LPS setting. On the 06, the default is for auto to be off when you start the car, and they changed it to default to on when starting the car on the 07.
Can anyone confirm the LPS default for 06'MY is really OFF for AUTO RECIRC? I thought the default was ON and the NAV firmware corrected this?
Old 08-01-07, 07:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleric
Can anyone confirm the LPS default for 06'MY is really OFF for AUTO RECIRC? I thought the default was ON and the NAV firmware corrected this?
well my car (06) was in the shop yesterday and the tech said its NOT an LPS setting.....and can't be set to stay on. NAV firmware update supposedly will fix this as someone has reported here.

holding the button brings up the sensitivity on my car as well.
Old 08-01-07, 07:37 PM
Cleric
Driver

I know of the current model year LPS that you can completely disable the AUTO function but the default is enabled. I also engage the parking prake everytime I put the car in park and the AUTO feature would never remain when I would go back out and start the car. I really wish the AUTO would stay on too. It is a bit annoying to have to remember to turn it on.
Old 08-01-07, 07:42 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
well my car (06) was in the shop yesterday and the tech said its NOT an LPS setting.....and can't be set to stay on. NAV firmware update supposedly will fix this as someone has reported here.

holding the button brings up the sensitivity on my car as well.
Nope, that's wrong (according to the documentation that came with the car). The default is for auto not to stay on at startup on the 06, and it is an LPS setting. It's right there on the LPS setting brochure.
Old 08-01-07, 08:01 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
Nope, that's wrong (according to the documentation that came with the car). The default is for auto not to stay on at startup on the 06, and it is an LPS setting. It's right there on the LPS setting brochure.
15951, I am not sure if the LPS customizable setting ACTUALLY refers to the SMOG feature because of the way it is stated in the LPS guide. This is how it is stated in my 2006 LPS Guide:
AIR CONDITIONER: #15 Automatic recirculation of air when using A/C

When the air conditioner is ON or in AUTO, the vehicle can be programmed for the following:

Standard Setting: To automatically switch between the recirculation mode and fresh air mode as necessary to meet the temperature requirements set.

Optional Setting: When the climate control is turned on, the user must manually select the desired mode, recirculation or fresh air mode.

I am assuming this is for the SMOG feature because I don't ever recall seeing the light switch between Fresh and Recirc with just Auto Climate control (or A/C alone) enabled. I think Toyota needs to reword this.

Last edited by Cleric; 08-01-07 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 09:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Here's everything you can and can't do with the climate control through LPS.
Attached Thumbnails 350 drivers-new tip to make AUTO recir/fresh button stay AUTO-customise-parameters.jpg  
Old 08-01-07, 10:10 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

doesn't matter to me...i always turn off my ac anyways before shutting off the engine.
Old 08-01-07, 10:23 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

On my 06 - I tried what was posted here and here are my results:

Hold down Auto button on far left with E brake engaged, and nothing happens on the screen BUT it does stay ON everytime I start the car.

Hold down the Auto button for the recirculation and the screen changes and asks me how sensitive I want my "Smog Sensor". Once set, it does NOT stay in memory during start up. I have tried to keep it on recirculate, nut when you start up it defaults to fresh air. However, I tink I saw it auto switch while driving. I will watch closer to see if it is truely "AUTO" switching. If so, then this feature does work on an 06 that does NOT have the Nav update.

Quick Reply: 350 drivers-new tip to make AUTO recir/fresh button stay AUTO