IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

first speeding ticket, need help on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 10:01 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Get a lawyer! I don't know about the judges in MO, but around here (AZ) they would literally throw the book at you. Young driver, fancy car, and extreme speed - the prosocuter will love that. I think you will need a good lawyer to get off with just a fine.
VERY good advise.....you could easily be looking at a license suspension.

Here's an attorney site, where you'll find information.

http://community.lawyers.com/message...lId=23&mbId=52

In the future, get a radar detector, and learn something about defensive driving. Sooner or later...speed can kill.

Here is a very good site about avoiding tickets:

http://www.keelynet.com/misc/ticket1.htm

.....but be smart and responsible when having fun.
Old 08-04-07, 10:16 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

All the people that are telling him to get a V1, read Hartawan's post and especially the quote he has from the OP. V1
Old 08-04-07, 10:18 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMF
You'd be surprised. Not sure if it's the same now, but at one time 20 over the speed limit was considered wreckless driving in the state of TX and could get you arrested on the spot and have your car impounded.
Come to think of it, that was when the speed limit was 55 on the highways, but either way, every state has a different rule about what is and is not wreckless.
back in the 80s, somewhere between San Antonio and Houston on IH-10, I got a 110 in a 55 by a county sheriff. went to Sears traffic school in a classroom off I-35 and Perrin Beitel rd in SA. i was 21 years old.
Old 08-04-07, 10:28 AM
luvx77x8o4
Driver School Candidate

damn...either way you were still speeding if the limit was 60. in california its an exhibition of speed offense. its 2 points on your record and last for 5 years. i dont think the price of the ticket will hurt more than the increase in insurance.

if you are able to go to traffic school do it.
Old 08-04-07, 11:36 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look, first your going for an arrainment (spelling) there the judge will ask how you want to plead, say not guilty. They will then set a trial date. A traffic lawyer once told me, 'always say not guilty because the cop may not show up for trial'. You got nothing to lose.

I myself have been very fortunate in my youth since the traffic court judge in my district is my NEIGHBOR yea baby yea
Old 08-04-07, 11:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tt061880
just get a traffic lawyer, if you haven't had one before, he's more likely to get you of without traffic school.
and the fees cost 2X the cost of ticket + traffic school.....

go to traffic school if you can and dont go too fast from now on....
Old 08-04-07, 01:35 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

as "Kingofire" siad i have a V1 radar and i was using it to but the cop shot me with laser(I gotta admit those things are really really ), anyway so pretty much im looking at a big fine for speeding, lawer expense, and is driving school mandatory if i pleade guilty and hired a lawyer???? as some of you said plead not guilty because the cop might not be there and the trail would be moved to another date, wouldn't the cop be there on the next date and then i would have to plead guilty. wouldn't this pissed off the judge more???
Old 08-04-07, 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

The ONLY thing to do is contact a traffic attorney and DO WHAT HE SAYS. As you can tell from the differences in the responses, the laws in every state are different, and the judges in each jurisdiction have differing ideas of how they will treat your case. Without SOUND ADVICE from a REAL attorney (Internet "lawyers" are speculating at best) you could make a big mistake and end up far worse off. CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY, AND IGNORE THE WELL MEANING ADVICE OF AMATEURS.
Old 08-04-07, 08:46 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The ONLY thing to do is contact a traffic attorney and DO WHAT HE SAYS. As you can tell from the differences in the responses, the laws in every state are different, and the judges in each jurisdiction have differing ideas of how they will treat your case. Without SOUND ADVICE from a REAL attorney (Internet "lawyers" are speculating at best) you could make a big mistake and end up far worse off. CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY, AND IGNORE THE WELL MEANING ADVICE OF AMATEURS.
So we should ignore you too? hehe jk jk, you know i lubz youz
Old 08-04-07, 08:57 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
lol, your kidding right? Some of you guys crack me up Double the speed limit MIGHT be a misdemeanor in his state (which he didn't do). The cop won't take any drastic action for anything below 100 mph.

Get a traffic lawyer in the area that will know the judge. If it is your first ticket, you should be just fine. After that invest in a V1.
Originally Posted by CMF
You'd be surprised. Not sure if it's the same now, but at one time 20 over the speed limit was considered wreckless driving in the state of TX and could get you arrested on the spot and have your car impounded.
Come to think of it, that was when the speed limit was 55 on the highways, but either way, every state has a different rule about what is and is not wreckless.
Here in VA, 20 over OR > 80 mph is considered reckless driving.

And, to add insult to injury, they just added some HUGE fines if you are a state resident and get one of these tickets. Here's an excerpt from the VA DMV:

Convictions-Related Fees

Drivers convicted of serious traffic offenses will be charged conviction-related abusive driver fees. These fees do not apply to the typical traffic violation such as failure to yield, or parking too near a fire hydrant, for example. Abusive driver fees will only apply when the person is convicted of reckless driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, driving under the influence, or other serious traffic offenses that occur after July 1, 2007. The fees are based on the following schedule:

* Driving on a suspended or revoked license - $250 each year for three years;
* Reckless or aggressive driving - $350 each year for three years;
* Driving while intoxicated - $750 each year for three years;
* Other misdemeanor convictions for driving and/or motor vehicle-related offense -$300 each year for three years;
* Any felony conviction for driving or motor vehicle-related offense - $1000 each year for three years.

Last edited by mikes rx; 08-04-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 10:04 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

Well, if you were n Vegas, I could take care of it for you, but you're not so that sucks...Does your state offer a deffensive driving course? In some states you can take that in lue of a fine and points...