IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will 14" BBk fit on a 19" volks with 39 offset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 09:40 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Offset does affect BBK clearance considerations.

Let's say you have 2 wheels with identical disc types (medium). The wheel that is 0 offset will have more clearance for a BBK than a -40 wheel.

The disc type AND the offset both affect BBK clearance. Saying offset has nothing to do with clearance is incorrect.
Old 08-05-07, 02:44 PM
revspeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Did you get a smokin deal on them? Is that why you broke your "I'm done modding" committment LOL? Do mind sharing what the set of four cost you?
I thought I was done ....lol....I just got the front only...paid $2395.00 for them. Was getting the 4 pistons but it was back ordered for too long so just got the 6 pistons instead. Glad I did though, it looks alot nicer with the 6 pistons and only a few hundred more.
Old 08-05-07, 02:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Please if you don't understand what you are talking about and if someone points out when you are wrong, just accept it. I know what the definition of offset is. I don't think you comprehend what offset means.

Mounting point which is where offset is measured is also where the spokes of the wheels connect. When they speak about the wheel clearance in BBK, they are talking about whether the caliper will clear the wheel at the "drum" side and ALSO AT THE SPOKE SIDE. If a wheel's mounting point is too close to the center - i.e. low offset wheel - then the spokes of the wheel will also be closer to the caliper and some low offset wheels will clear on the drum side but spoke will NOT have caliper clearance b/c they are too close to the center. Offset in it of itself DOESE NOT determine whether a wheel is BBK friendly or not. Meaning just b/c a wheel is +10 offset a wheel will not clear a BBK. But, given same design - spoke/concave-ness - high offset wheel will be more bbk friendly than the same design wheel with low offset.
absolutely wrong. i suggest if you don't have good knowledge about wheels, especially jdm wheels market, constructions, and history, listen to and learn from others who are knowledgeable, like seize. he's one of the few knowledgeable people on this forum that i would have no problem discussing wheels with.

offsets might have LITTLE to do with brake clearance, but definitely NOT the number 1 item in determining wheel clearance. the disk type is what primarily determines clearance.

jdm wheels almost always have disk type, high disk, medium disk, standard, low, and sometimes even super low disk. each type is available in a wide range of offsets (for different cars).

high disk wheels always have spokes that curve out more than usual to clear calipers, whereas on the other extreme, for super low disk, the spokes usually are flat or actually curve IN in order to create more lip size, not having to worry about clearance.

take a walk on most jdm wheels manufacturers in japan and all of them have these information. they always have different columes for high disk or normal disk. have you looked at work wheels? ac? weds? trafficstar? wald? amistad? ssr? i bet you definitely have never, coz' they are all setup this way, or unless you have no clue how those tables work

moreover, please learn the definition of offset before you give out such WRONG information. for the record, offsets are meaningful ONLY if widths are given at the same time. and given the same width, the HIGHER the offset, the more the wheels STICK IN, NOT OUT. the lower the offset, the higher it sticks out. so if there is a wheel with offset +39 that will clear bbk, the same style (and disk type for that matter, which is probably a new term for you to learn), then +10 will FOR SURE clear. whereas if you get go with +50, the wheel (thus spokes) stick IN more and might NOT clear.

if you can't even get the definition of offset, i personally really doubt how much you can tell about wheels. those who know wheels ALWAYS know that high offset means the wheels stick in more, whereas low offset means they stick out more. that's very basic already.

and above that, disk type has absolutely NOTHING to do with offset, and disk type has A LOT to do with clearance. my cars all have bbk, in the front i ALWAYS have to get high disk wheels. the same wheel has standard/low disk with similar offsets, and i guarantee you it won't clear my brakes by a big margin.

now back to what al503 said, that's correct. if the disk type is the same already, then yes, lower offset will give you more clearance to clear brakes. however it only comes AFTER disk type. if given a wheel with x width and y offset and says it will clear brakes coz' another set of wheels do? that's plain silly