IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will 14" BBk fit on a 19" volks with 39 offset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 05:11 PM
revspeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 14" BBk fit on a 19" volks with 39 offset?

I just picked up the Rotora 14" 6 pistons Brake kit and was wondering if it will fit under my 19" Volk GT-C with a 39 offset? any wheel experts know or do i need spacers. TIA
Old 08-04-07, 05:44 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you were done modding??? ahahhah LMFAO, I told you, you werent done. Welcome back. Sorry but I dont know the answer
Old 08-04-07, 05:50 PM
revspeed
Driver

Can't help myself...the eye candy got me......lol...
Old 08-04-07, 06:23 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I think your best bet is call Volks and ask if it will clear that specific size and brand BBK. They should know right off the bat if it will.
Old 08-04-07, 08:05 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

talk to illmaticmike he has a setup similar to that.
Old 08-04-07, 09:58 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

The offset really has nothing to do with brake clearance, that's more dependent on the disk type.
Old 08-04-07, 11:02 PM
revspeed
Driver

I guess it should work then cause I checked their website and it says it is a high disk. heres a pic of the kit.

Old 08-04-07, 11:19 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Did you get a smokin deal on them? Is that why you broke your "I'm done modding" committment LOL? Do mind sharing what the set of four cost you?
Old 08-04-07, 11:48 PM
illmike
Lead Lap

yea you'll clear...volk gtc's have a wide gap between rotor and spoke. i cleared a 4pot on gtc's with a 51 offset before =]
Old 08-05-07, 06:07 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Actually it's the opposite. Disk size, in this case 14" will clear just about all 19" wheels while clearing some/most 18" wheels. In fact most 19" wheels will clear 15" bbk disks. Meanwhile it's the caliper clearance against the spoke - therefore offset comes into play - that might make some 19" wheels not bbk friendly.

The only way to know for sure is installing the bbk. Some bbk's - stoptech for sure b/c I've used it - has paper template that you can use to check the clearance and you can also check with people who has the same setup - wheel/bbk combo. I heard that the rotora bbk caliper is slightly on the "thin" side so that should make it easier to fit.

Originally Posted by Seize
The offset really has nothing to do with brake clearance, that's more dependent on the disk type.
Old 08-05-07, 06:23 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Actually it's the opposite. Disk size, in this case 14" will clear just about all 19" wheels while clearing some/most 18" wheels. In fact most 19" wheels will clear 15" bbk disks. Meanwhile it's the caliper clearance against the spoke - therefore offset comes into play - that might make some 19" wheels not bbk friendly.

The only way to know for sure is installing the bbk. Some bbk's - stoptech for sure b/c I've used it - has paper template that you can use to check the clearance and you can also check with people who has the same setup - wheel/bbk combo. I heard that the rotora bbk caliper is slightly on the "thin" side so that should make it easier to fit.
I was referring to the disk type of the wheel not the rotor. If your wheel does not have the correct disk type it won't clear BBK. Please review the information below.

Depending on the wheel manufacturer, the Disk or a Pad height is determined to satisfy brake caliper overhang clearance. Although each manufacturer determines their own Disk / Pad heights, they will specify certain heights to specify brake caliper clearance with notations such as High Pad/ Disk, Mid Pad / Disk, and Low Pad / Disk. A High Pad or Disk is for cars with larger OEM calipers or for applications that will use upgraded big brake systems.

As a rule of thumb when comparing 2 wheels of a same size and offset, a High Pad wheel will have a smaller rim depth (lip size) since the mounting surface is raised to clear brakes. A low disk will have a larger lip size since the mounting surface is shorter, which then allows the lip size to be lengthened. Low disk is usually for the rear of cars which have small brake calipers.
*Source
JTUNED - Tech Guide For Wheels
http://www.jtuned.com/content/templa...=288&zoneid=16
Old 08-05-07, 07:02 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

But offset is what makes one wheel high pad, low pad whatever pad. If you have one 19" wheel with say +35 offset that will clear bbk without problem, at the same time, same design wheel with +10 offset might not clear b/c that wheel's spokes are now 25mm closer to the centerline. So your previous statement about offset has nothing to do with clearance is wrong. What they call "high pad" is high +offset wheels.

I was referring to the disk type of the wheel not the rotor. If your wheel does not have the correct disk type it won't clear BBK. Please review the information below.

Depending on the wheel manufacturer, the Disk or a Pad height is determined to satisfy brake caliper overhang clearance. Although each manufacturer determines their own Disk / Pad heights, they will specify certain heights to specify brake caliper clearance with notations such as High Pad/ Disk, Mid Pad / Disk, and Low Pad / Disk. A High Pad or Disk is for cars with larger OEM calipers or for applications that will use upgraded big brake systems.

As a rule of thumb when comparing 2 wheels of a same size and offset, a High Pad wheel will have a smaller rim depth (lip size) since the mounting surface is raised to clear brakes. A low disk will have a larger lip size since the mounting surface is shorter, which then allows the lip size to be lengthened. Low disk is usually for the rear of cars which have small brake calipers.

*Source
JTUNED - Tech Guide For Wheels
Old 08-05-07, 07:17 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

But offset is what makes one wheel high pad, low pad whatever pad. If you have one 19" wheel with say +35 offset that will clear bbk without problem, at the same time, same design wheel with +10 offset might not clear b/c that wheel's spokes are now 25mm closer to the centerline. So your previous statement about offset has nothing to do with clearance is wrong. What they call "high pad" is high +offset wheels.
Please research your information first. Offset does NOT determine the disc type of a wheel.

Here's the definition of offset.

Wheel offset is the way for a wheel manufacturer to determine how a wheel is placed on the car’s wheel well in relation to the suspension components and fenders. By taking into consideration the width and diameter of a wheel, a wheel technician can utilize offset to determine fitment. The offset indicates the distance from the center of the rim to the mounting point of the wheel to the car. Offset is measured in millimeters. A positive offset is indicated when the mounting surface extends beyond the central line of the rim and a negative offset results when the mounting surface falls within.

Basically a positive offset means that the rim will go further towards the suspension and a lower offset means that the rim will go further towards the fenders. Make sure to check with your wheel tech to make sure you are using the proper offset when matching up wheels for your car.

*source
Jtuned - Tech Guide For Wheels
Old 08-05-07, 07:57 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Please if you don't understand what you are talking about and if someone points out when you are wrong, just accept it. I know what the definition of offset is. I don't think you comprehend what offset means.

Mounting point which is where offset is measured is also where the spokes of the wheels connect. When they speak about the wheel clearance in BBK, they are talking about whether the caliper will clear the wheel at the "drum" side and ALSO AT THE SPOKE SIDE. If a wheel's mounting point is too close to the center - i.e. low offset wheel - then the spokes of the wheel will also be closer to the caliper and some low offset wheels will clear on the drum side but spoke will NOT have caliper clearance b/c they are too close to the center. Offset in it of itself DOESE NOT determine whether a wheel is BBK friendly or not. Meaning just b/c a wheel is +10 offset a wheel will not clear a BBK. But, given same design - spoke/concave-ness - high offset wheel will be more bbk friendly than the same design wheel with low offset.

Please research your information first. Offset does NOT determine the disc type of a wheel.

Here's the definition of offset.

Wheel offset is the way for a wheel manufacturer to determine how a wheel is placed on the car’s wheel well in relation to the suspension components and fenders. By taking into consideration the width and diameter of a wheel, a wheel technician can utilize offset to determine fitment. The offset indicates the distance from the center of the rim to the mounting point of the wheel to the car. Offset is measured in millimeters. A positive offset is indicated when the mounting surface extends beyond the central line of the rim and a negative offset results when the mounting surface falls within.

Basically a positive offset means that the rim will go further towards the suspension and a lower offset means that the rim will go further towards the fenders. Make sure to check with your wheel tech to make sure you are using the proper offset when matching up wheels for your car.

*source
Jtuned - Tech Guide For Wheels

Last edited by kt22cliff; 08-05-07 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 09:29 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Wrong! So how do you explain the identical wheels (same width, height and offset) one able to clear bbk and the other not?

Let me tell you why, it's disk type!

But offset is what makes one wheel high pad, low pad whatever pad.
Wrong again. Offset and disk type are two factors totally indpendent of each other.

Please if you don't understand what you are talking about and if someone points out when you are wrong, just accept it. I know what the definition of offset is. I don't think you comprehend what offset means.
I know from experience and from having friends in the automotive industry (mostly aftermarket). Plus, being on Club Lexus for about 6 yrs now, you learn a thing or two about wheel fitment

Offset in it of itself DOESE NOT determine whether a wheel is BBK friendly or not.
Nor does it determine disk type, this is what I've been saying all along.

I rest my case

Quick Reply: Will 14" BBk fit on a 19" volks with 39 offset?