IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Want to Change the Green LEDS in the Console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 09:25 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanted to change it to blue but unfortunately it can't be done. The green leds we have is probably at 2.0v +/-0.1 and the blue led I want is 3.8V. If you put the blue led in there it'll turn into sky blue instead of a deep blue. I have done this on my RSX and I didn't get the color I wanted. The RSX has red LED which has similar voltage to the green.

also, white is about 3.6v, if you put it in there it'll be more like yellow
Old 08-04-07, 11:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

There was a similar issue with the tC. There is a chip you can modify to alter the voltage for different color LEDs. I would expect this is also possible with the ISx50.
Old 08-05-07, 05:01 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, I think you can change the interior lighting color on the mustang to any number of different combinations. I suspect other manufacturers will begin to go this route if the demand is there.

I don't care for the green either - it's way too "Ford corporate standard". It's visible at night, though, which I guess is the bottom line.

Edit: here's the language from Ford's website:

Ford Mustang offers an available industry-first, color-configurable instrument cluster, My Color™, that can be backlit in 125 different colors. It’s included in the Interior Upgrade Package for Mustang V6 and GT models.

Last edited by 15951; 08-05-07 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 07:30 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah but for the IS the instrument cluster color is perfect in my opinion. It's the surrounding color of green that doesn't blend well with the nature of the Lexus line. I also don't like it on the GS line either?

For the IS you've got 4 primary colors going on, you got the very light blueish color of the illumnated door sills, then the dark blue in the middle of the cluster then the white instrument cluster gauges then you have the green surrounding buttons. For me it's not that big of a deal but if I could choose I would rather have white leds.
Old 08-05-07, 03:10 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it does look really good in blue, but the only problem I have with it is that what if something ever went wrong with the radio, CD player, nav screen, HVAC controls, or any of the other 900 things in that unit? Im pretty sure any Lexus tech would notice that your lexus had blue LEDs and no other ever has or does. Then theyd probably try to blame any problem on that and not cover it under warranty.
Old 08-05-07, 03:34 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

what you can do it is hook a resistor to each LED you want to add white or blue to, but thats a lot of work. also, since these guys are 1mm, you would have to find a resistor about that size. but yah, its a lot of work especially if you want white or blue.

there was one guy though on a japanese website who changed them all to white. btw lobo, just get yourself a big magnifying glass you would need some fancier equipment to solder too, not just the 5 dollar special at radio shack.
Old 08-05-07, 04:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
what you can do it is hook a resistor to each LED you want to add white or blue to, but thats a lot of work. also, since these guys are 1mm, you would have to find a resistor about that size. but yah, its a lot of work especially if you want white or blue.

there was one guy though on a japanese website who changed them all to white. btw lobo, just get yourself a big magnifying glass you would need some fancier equipment to solder too, not just the 5 dollar special at radio shack.
Wait why would you want to put a resistor in there? Usually white or blue LEDs require more voltage or current than red, green, yellow and amber LEDs. If anything I think you would want to remove a resistance being that youd be coming from green LEDs...
Old 08-05-07, 04:28 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Here is that thread posted here back in June 07. Look at the start stop, ooops still green. LOL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=blue+lighting

Old 08-05-07, 04:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I'm capable of changing the headlight bulbs on the car without destroying something, so as far as the console lighting is concerned, I'm not gonna touch it...
Old 08-05-07, 05:00 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think I'm capable of changing the headlight bulbs on the car without destroying something, so as far as the console lighting is concerned, I'm not gonna touch it...
But Philip your soooo good at the DIY thingys
Old 08-05-07, 10:19 PM
skyraven4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just for fun z's - i wonder how much the dealership would charge for this install ... hahahahaha
Old 08-05-07, 10:23 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Here is that thread posted here back in June 07. Look at the start stop, ooops still green. LOL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=blue+lighting
Just FYI, He modified the interior lighting one by one. So, eventually he did change the push button starter to blue as well.
Old 08-05-07, 10:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
...btw lobo, just get yourself a big magnifying glass you would need some fancier equipment to solder too, not just the 5 dollar special at radio shack.
I graduated high reliability soldering some years ago and had a reputation for doing work indistinguishable from factory work. I'm very familiar with good soldering equipment. I just don't do enough of it to justify buying a $2k set up. I'd rather buy the new TIS workstation for $8k... it would be far more useful to me.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-05-07 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 10:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Not really sure what you expect to accomplish here. Seems like a lot of work for ..... what?? Just a different color? Seems like way, way too much work for the change. It's not something I would attempt.....ever. Cost / benefit ratio doesn't make sense, imo.
Umm, the whole point of him doing this was to see exactly how difficult it would be and he came to the conclution that it isn't worth the trouble or risk. He is posting his findings so other people can look and decide for themselves. I too fail to see the point of your post. Opinions are fine, but yours seems a bit out of place and contributed nothing.
Old 04-16-08, 04:08 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

lobuxracer...thanks for info...after seeing a post with someone who has done this. I too was very courious as to how the bulbs really look like. I was two seconds away of doing the same thing you did. I'm sooooo glad I saw your post first. Now I know this is way out of my league for a DIY. Thank you for your time well spent

Quick Reply: Want to Change the Green LEDS in the Console?