IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS is totaled

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07 | 02:50 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Man that's terrible to see. Hope everything works out for you. I can't understand if you were blocks from home the speed limit had to be residential 30-35 tops, how can the IS flip at that speed?

So how did the interior cabin hold up, sound like ok if you could walk away.
Old 08-05-07 | 02:54 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

WOW... theres a statistic, most accidents happen when your closest to home...

Glad your alright, did you have the TCS on? where you going around a corner? kinda hard to imagine if you were going straight unless you hydro'd *in which case VDIM wont help at all*, and yea how fast?

Thing is, dont worry about getting flamed if you were being silly, plz fill us in on the details so that the rest of us will know what to do and what not to do.
Old 08-05-07 | 03:11 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

yah, you can admit if you had vdim off. im more interesting in knowing what would happen in bad situations like this. glad youre ok. after 3 flips the cabin looks pretty tough.
Old 08-05-07 | 03:21 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

Details please. Details?

For example:

1. How fast were you going?

2. Were you going fast on a turn?

3. Did you have VDIM off / on?

4. Did you have your seatbelt on?

5. Did the top of the car cave in after the 3 rolls?

6. Did all the airbags open up?

Anyone else want to add to this list?
Old 08-05-07 | 03:22 PM
CMF
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about your car, and good to know the car can handle being flipped over so many times, but your story doesn't make much sense, and it probably won't to an insurance company either. Good luck with that.
Hitting a puddle at any posted speed in a normal residential area would never lead to your car rolling 3 times. Can't think of too many housing areas with a 70MPH posted speed limit. Think there's more involved, so no sympathy for you in that regard.
Old 08-05-07 | 03:27 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, apparently sprinklers are more deadly than we thought...

Ok... now that we've established he's ok and feel bad about the car, and all the usual pleasantries...

Can I now ask why we apparently have collectively the worst group of drivers? Either that or the drivers here are abnormally unlucky. (I have a feeling the insurance companies and I are leaning the same way).

Thanks for raising my rates, guys!
Old 08-05-07 | 03:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CMF
Hitting a puddle at any posted speed in a normal residential area would never lead to your car rolling 3 times. Can't think of too many housing areas with a 70MPH posted speed limit. Think there's more involved, so no sympathy for you in that regard.
HEHE i dont think anyone here is under the misconception that he was obeying the posted speed limit.
Old 08-05-07 | 03:32 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

glad to hear that you're alright now show this thread to that da who posted the thread about toyotas not being that safe and showing what happened to a solara after being hit by a big rig lol.
Old 08-05-07 | 04:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Yeah, apparently sprinklers are more deadly than we thought...

Ok... now that we've established he's ok and feel bad about the car, and all the usual pleasantries...

Can I now ask why we apparently have collectively the worst group of drivers? Either that or the drivers here are abnormally unlucky. (I have a feeling the insurance companies and I are leaning the same way).

Thanks for raising my rates, guys!
Yes, I'm glad the OP came out of it 'ok'. We've seen a rash of IS crashes the last week or so. From what I can see two things seem to be prevalent, 1) AGE and 2) SPEED. Those are always the two factors in young people getting injured or killed in car crashes. The IS does its job when asked to sacrifice itself to protect the occupants, but its up to the individual to drive prudently in the first place. Everybody, especially the young'uns, please slow down for your own health. And to prevent the government from wanting to slap more nannies, or outright restrictions/bans, on our cars.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-05-07 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-05-07 | 04:19 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Yes, I'm glad the OP came out of it 'ok'. We've seen a rash of IS crashes the last week or so. From what I can see two things seem to be prevalent, 1) AGE and 2) SPEED.
Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the 83 part of is name. So I'm assuming he's around 24. I'm just glad he didn't hurt anyone else.
Old 08-05-07 | 04:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

From what I can see two things seem to be prevalent, 1) AGE and 2) SPEED.
Here he goes again

And to prevent the government from wanting to slap more nannies, or outright restrictions/bans, on our cars.
Ahh now thats a good point

Thing is theres a Darwinian Law when it comes to young males and powerful cars. If you can live till 25+ you'll NORMALLY be alright course theres always the exception. The stupid ones dying off early is good for the human race as a whole right? *cold but true*
Old 08-05-07 | 04:28 PM
bound
Driver School Candidate

Glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced.
Old 08-05-07 | 04:38 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IEMaestro
I'm glad u r ok! Being able to walk away from a crash like that shows you how safe our cars really are.
It's misleading, cuz the ones that didn't make it aren't exactly posting here anymore...

So of course every accident post here by the person who got into the accident would have a 100% survival rate.

The fact that it flipped over in a residential neighborhood due to sprinklers presumably at residential speeds (until we hear otherwise from the OP) should be the concerning factor here.
Old 08-05-07 | 04:41 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirkfc
The fact that it flipped over in a residential neighborhood due to sprinklers presumably at residential speeds (until we hear otherwise from the OP) should be the concerning factor here.
That's quite a presumption...
Old 08-05-07 | 04:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

God Almighty!!!

I'm so glad you walked away from that!!!

Quick Reply: My IS is totaled