IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pot hole VS Sevas s22!!!!!PICS ADDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 11:48 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates if Sevas will replace your cracked rim for a new one??
Old 08-14-07, 12:13 PM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by twitch
Cracckkk!!!!!
cheap rims china = this
Old 08-14-07, 12:14 PM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I hit a large pot hole at 60MPH. Bent the hell out of the rim but never craked in half like that. I've bent a lot of rims in my time but none has ever cracked like that
it's called a defected rim that wasn't properly tested
Old 08-14-07, 02:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't be so hard to judge. Sevas tried to make cast wheels almost as light as forged. They use the injected molding process, injecting the metal into the mold. This is just speculation but trying to create a lightweight cast wheel probably caused the weakness in structure. It's an experiment that may have failed.....or maybe not. Until there is more evidence you can't judge on one incident.
I had a set on my G35. I found them to be pretty tough. I banged the same wheel twice on curbs and it didn't look like it was touched. A worse impact on my Maya's shows how soft some wheels can be. I still have a set of Sevas wheels on the GS300 my wife drives and believe, she is tough on wheels and not a mark on them. I asked her about putting a better quality wheel on the car. She asked me to define better quality....what will a more expensive wheel do? Since the Sevas S-Star in black looks as good as a mulipiece wheel, I couldn't even say the more expensive wheel would look better. Certainly won't ride better. Certainly won't take punishment as well as this one has. I couldn't justify it to her so she said no. In fact, she has gotten so many compliments she told me I'd have to pry the wheels from her fingers. My wife isn't a newby either...she knows when the wheel looks good...when it looks cheap or ghetto. The one we have has been durable and looks good. We're happy with it...for now.
Old 08-14-07, 04:55 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisha
There was one incident with HRE at a track where the center piece broke in all 5 spots, but the car it was on was a viper which had hella torque to the wheel.
Okay, you can stop this now. There was a thread a few years ago about a broken three-piece wheel on a Viper... for the record it was a KINESIS wheel, not an HRE. Too bad people have to guess, spread rumors, conjecture, and propaganda. Anyway, that was a RACE wheel, and that is not uncommon on a race wheel. I have seen BBS wheels fail, too. In fact, BBS has discontinued their magnesium race wheels due to fatigue issues.

Back on topic. I had this exact type of radial failure on an Elite wheel I had on one of my old cars back about 15 years ago. Cast wheels are definitely more prone to this type of failure than a forged wheel, or one with spun rim halves.

That's considered a road hazard, probably not under warranty.
The good news is that the Sevas isn't $1200 per wheel...
Old 08-14-07, 05:25 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I had cheap ASA 18x8s on my last car and they saw some baddddd potholes and tracks but they never cracked. All four of my wheels bent a good 3 times each.
Old 08-16-07, 04:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Axvel
it's called a defected rim that wasn't properly tested
Well then they might have more of those defective rims out there. Now in the Tire and wheel section there is a topic of another SEVAS rim coming apart just like this one only on a BMW. That is at least two cases now where these rim barrels completely cracked open like this. Defective rim or not, I'd say this is not a good sign. Either QC is bad over at SEVAS Wheels or they have another problem.
Old 08-16-07, 04:51 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...01#post2847201

No longer an isolated incident. I am guessing a bad batch of rims?
Old 08-16-07, 05:01 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...01#post2847201

No longer an isolated incident. I am guessing a bad batch of rims?
I can't believe it ! Cheap quality rim!!
Old 08-21-07, 12:38 AM
D&G
Pole Position

I just received my Sevas S-55's a few weeks ago!!! Anyone had any dates of what batch these wheels are having problems. My understanding is Sevas received a new shipment a month ago which is the batch I have. Maybe Sevas need to recall all the wheels back. I have them on my ride and now I hope that doesn't happen. Knock on Wood!!!
Old 08-22-07, 07:08 PM
Dkid23
Driver School Candidate

DAmm the same thing happen to my S-22
Old 08-22-07, 07:43 PM
Turkf26
Driver

wow it does seem like there is some kind of defect with this brand of rims... hopefully the manufactuer will issue a recall for them. Like others have said, i will stick to my Rays rims.
Old 08-23-07, 03:10 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was worried about my s7's so i asked d2autosport....what i heard is that sevas had a defective batch of S22's & 1 of the other styles (not s7's tho)....i'd contact sevas, im sure they will replace
Old 08-23-07, 06:15 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they better cecall that batch, that is dangerous. They'll get sue if soemone get hurt.
Old 08-25-07, 11:52 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
i was worried about my s7's so i asked d2autosport....what i heard is that sevas had a defective batch of S22's & 1 of the other styles (not s7's tho)....i'd contact sevas, im sure they will replace
I hope is not the S-55's!!! But they should recall all the wheels back. I am sure if something like this happen to someone and got in a bad car accident because of it there will be lawsuit no doubt about it.

The funny thing about my wheels I received recently is black color inside the wheel compare to the silver color. Wonder if that makes any difference in different batches.

Quick Reply: Pot hole VS Sevas s22!!!!!PICS ADDED!