IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How is the overall Quality of the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 12:43 PM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the overall Quality of the IS350?

I am seeing things on the board that I would not expect from Lexus. Rattles, A/C problems, Shifters not locking in Drive, Stinky Trunks, etc. Are these isolated cases or if the car not made to the standards the price would indicate?
Old 08-09-07, 12:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

9300 miles on my car have a rattle thats about it, only happens in colder temperatures. No problems with anything else
Old 08-09-07, 12:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No problems for me after one year. If you think the Lexus problems are bad drop over on the BMW forums and read about the serious mechanical and electrical problems that crop up there. Almost all of the Lexus glitches are of the minor, non mechanical tiype. Very seldom do we hear of any sort of real mechanical disaster. People will always find something to complain about.
Old 08-09-07, 12:55 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry but all these problems are from people that just have nothing better to complain about. Cmon rattles?? AC surging?? IMHO If you really think about it, its cause people dont know whats going on with the car. I will probably get flamed but you know what? Its the truth. Ive had my car for over 1yr and the only thing that ever happened is my system stopped working but I think thats cause the amp got too hot and it shut down. Other than that all the stuff that people are having trouble with can be fixed for free. So what is there to complain about right?? Sorry I dont mean to hate on anyone.
Old 08-09-07, 01:20 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

I've had both the 250 and now the 350 and I've had "0'" problems with the 350 and i bought it last yr in October. The 250 however kept having sensitivity issues with the tire sensors. After hauling it in to Lexus several times to fix it they finally replaced them all brand new and the problem stopped. Didn't matter though because I trading it in for the 350! I just couldn't resist the extra poinies The rule of thumb is to expect some rattles and/or other minor issues with a new class of car like this....
Old 08-09-07, 01:28 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

12k miles on our 250 AWD, zero issues, unless you count the brake pad dust, which new pads have now taken care of. 30k miles on our RX with no issues, no rattles, no warranty repairs (did replace windshield twice, but that's not a Lexus issue). Previous Lexus (Lexi ?) had no problems and no warranty work either – that’s just one reason we bought again, and will be looking at the new RX’s when they come out.
Old 08-09-07, 01:30 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex5150
I am seeing things on the board that I would not expect from Lexus. Rattles, A/C problems, Shifters not locking in Drive, Stinky Trunks, etc. Are these isolated cases or if the car not made to the standards the price would indicate?
9100 miles and one year old on August 20th...............0 problems to date. No rattles, No strange noises, No fit or finish complaints. Has exceeded my expectations.
Old 08-09-07, 02:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You really want to know, go look at Consumer Reports annual auto issue, and see how they rate Lexus cars (and Toyotas) across the board for reliability. You aren't going to get an acurate picture by reading the forums--how many people will start a thread "I have no problems or complaints with my vehicle"? You just can't go wrong with this car as far a quality goes.
Old 08-09-07, 02:14 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

It's a lot scary in the BMW forums. I've read cases where the car stops working in while in a stop and sunroof's exploding or their windows going down without touching the remote.

Also, no offense but you have to read some of the post instead of judging them by their title because the post about "Shifters not locking in Drive" is not a problem at all. AUTO trannies, on any car, does not lock on "D" as explained on that thread.
Old 08-09-07, 02:23 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

My previous car was BMW, and boy was it high maintenance. Little stuff too that was annoying... one time the passenger side window just suddenly stopped working! When I tried to roll it down, it started making some crackling and crunching noises. That was only one of many stories with the BMW... never again, LOL!
Old 08-09-07, 02:24 PM
LowRyden
Driver School Candidate

JD power survey just came out. Lexus is #1 with least defects per vehicle. THat should settle this discussion
Old 08-09-07, 02:32 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the people have very little problems with their IS. I personally only have a dash creak problem but that's about it. Not bad I'd say, I have the first year 2006 model too. Very solid car, don't worry about getting one.
Old 08-09-07, 03:18 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

I've had my 350 since March and have over 7k miles on it now and the only problems I have had are the rattles and the moonroof squeak, wich the dealer took car of the moonroof. The other rattles are so minor and rarely happen its not really worth trying to hunt down. Im just glad that the moonroof was fixed because that was loud and made the car sound cheap.
Old 08-09-07, 05:05 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Im sorry but all these problems are from people that just have nothing better to complain about. Cmon rattles?? AC surging?? IMHO If you really think about it, its cause people dont know whats going on with the car. I will probably get flamed but you know what? Its the truth. Ive had my car for over 1yr and the only thing that ever happened is my system stopped working but I think thats cause the amp got too hot and it shut down. Other than that all the stuff that people are having trouble with can be fixed for free. So what is there to complain about right?? Sorry I dont mean to hate on anyone.
You're allowed to have low standards and accept AC problems and rattles. I have higher standards when I pay this much for a car.

I don't understand your logic that we shouldn't complain about anything that can be "fixed for free". By that logic, people should be happy to drive lemons as long as they're under warranty. What about after warranty? Would rattles upset you then?
Old 08-09-07, 06:23 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the car for a year and ~11k and the only issues i have are the rattle/popping sounds; which are both repaired under a TSIB that i have yet to do

The car has been great!!

Quick Reply: How is the overall Quality of the IS350?