IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What makes the IS 350 better than the G35 Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 08:17 PM
Prowlerjm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, she gets the impression that the cabin is cramped. That the driver feels pushed up against the center console.

How comfortable would you guys say you feel on long 100 mile highway trips, and then stop and go daily commutes? Also, how comfortable is the person riding shotgun?

Forget rear passengers, I already know the backseat is a joke, lol
Old 08-13-07, 08:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually feel more comfy in the front seat of my IS than I did in the front seat of the G... The back is another matter. I havne't had any complains from anyone riding in the front, and I've had a couple friends who are 6'2"
Old 08-13-07, 08:59 PM
asianfob
Rookie

Maybe you should take your wife to the dealership and see both in person since it seems like you must have your wife's approval.
Old 08-13-07, 09:37 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

The only cramped part about the IS350 is the back seat, the space in the front seats are actually similar to the G35, TL and the 3 series (give or take a few inches).

G35 is a nice car and if you really want manual and better handling then that would be your choice but if you are fine with an automatic and have a loose budget - then IS350 is the better choice.
Old 08-13-07, 09:42 PM
is-fan
Driver

I am a current G35 owner and overall I have been very happy with it. Mine is a 2003 model, and the interior in my car is cheap in comparison to the IS350. The painted hard plastic center console is especially cheap and I don't like the gauges or digital readouts for the stereo, HVAC, etc. Sunlight makes it difficult to read them. All of this is much improved in the new G35, but still not as good as the IS350. I have not test driven the IS350, so I can't comment on that aspect of the comparison. I have driven both the manual G35, and the automatic. I hated the manual versions! The damn manual shifter vibrated and 2 out of 3 of the loaners that had manual transmissions had really bad axle hop. Floor it in first gear from a standstill, and it felt like a bucking bronco I've never had this problem with my automatic-equipped G35 or any of the automatic loaners. The shifter was very balky as well. I'm glad I went with the automatic...I never thought that day would come.

Service has been excellent for my G35. I show up, my loaner car is always ready, I complete the paperwork, and I'm ready to go. They even replaced my brake pads and rotors free of charge. My total cost of repairs since my purchase is zero. The only problem I had was the CD player stopped working, but this was repaired under warranty. The only thing I have had to pay for since I bought my G35 is regularly scheduled maintenance such as oil changes, radiator service, air filters, and tires. I'm not sure why, but my G35 feels much stronger than every G35 loaner I have ever had. Maybe because I broke it in better or maybe because they put low-grade gasoline in them.

The fuel economy in the G35 sucks. I average about 17 mpg. I had a heavily modded Mustang Cobra that ran 12 second passes in the 1/4 on hot summer days that got "almost" that kind of mileage, and that was with 3.73 gears in the Cobra.

I like to trade up every 5 years, and I'm considering the Lexus IS-F. The new G35 and IS350 are nice, but I want more in my next car.

Take care,
Ken

Last edited by is-fan; 08-14-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 10:09 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by 350ripper
i have owned a g35 and i now own a is350. to me they are not even in the same ballpark. if i choose i can drive the is350 gently and it feels like a luxury car. the g35 felt rough all the time. if i want to drive like a madman the lexus can acomadate me there as well. i know g35 has improved their interiors since i had mine, but wow.. i am really loving the lexus.... and if you care about prestige a lot of people don't really know the infinity brand as luxury. i got more comments from people when i had a 13 year old lexus than i did with my 2 year old g35...
exactly what i was thinking ....
Old 08-13-07, 10:45 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

GET THE INFINITY G SEDAN!! Save ya some money.
Old 08-13-07, 11:11 PM
Prowlerjm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is-fan
I am a current G35 owner and overall I have been very happy with it. Mine is a 2003 model, and the interior in my car is cheap in comparison to the IS350. The painted hard plastic center console is especially cheap and I don't like the gauges or digital readouts for the stereo, HVAC, etc. Sunlight makes it difficult to read them. All of this is much improved in the new G35, but still not as good as the IS350. I have not test driven the IS350, so I can't comment on that aspect of the comparison. I have driven both the manual G35, and the automatic. I hated the manual versions! The damn manual shifter vibrated and 2 out of 3 of the loaners that had manual transmissions had really bad axle hop. Floor it in first gear from a standstill, and it felt like a bucking bronco I've never had this problem with my automatic-equipped G35 or any of the automatic loaners. The shifter was very balky as well. I'm glad I went with the automatic...I never thought that day would come.

Service has been excellent for my G35. I show up, my loaner car is always ready, I complete the paperwork, and I'm ready to go. They even replaced my brake pads and rotors free of charge. My total cost of repairs since my purchase is zero. The only problem I had was the CD player stopped working, but this was repaired under warranty. The only thing I have had to pay for since I bought my G35 is regularly scheduled maintenance such as oil changes, radiator service, air filters, and tires. I'm not sure why, but my G35 feels much stronger than every G35 loaner I have ever had. Maybe because I broker it in better or maybe because they put low-grade gasoline in them.

The fuel economy in the G35 sucks. I average about 17 mpg. I had a heavily modded Mustang Cobra that ran 12 second passes in the 1/4 on hot summer days that got "almost" that kind of mileage, and that was with 3.73 gears in the Cobra.

I like to trade up every 5 years, and I'm considering the Lexus IS-F. The new G35 and IS350 are nice, but I want more in my next car.

Take care,
Ken
IS-F ? That will be very nice for you. =)

Much better than that "Bucking Bronco" of yours
Old 08-14-07, 08:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you'll hear horror stories about the rattles for both cars....
Old 08-14-07, 08:54 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

A Lexus!..*
Old 08-14-07, 09:41 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

My friend has the G35 coupe and it has the most uncomfortable seats.
Old 08-15-07, 04:34 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Default What makes the IS 350 better than the G35 Sedan?

That's the easiest question of the year.
Lexus is SO much better than Infinity
Old 08-15-07, 05:53 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

You come to a lexus forum of course everyone is gonna say LEXUS. go to g35driver.com see what they say..lol
Old 08-15-07, 08:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In simple words: Lexus is a better package as a whole.

Sure, Infiniti has it's pros and cons just like Lexus, but as a package, I find that Lexus is a more appropriate choice for what I want.
Old 08-15-07, 01:54 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
GET THE INFINITY G SEDAN!! Save ya some money.
Went to rent a few movies with the wife, she saw a white G35 Coupe. she goes OOOO I like that..

She originially wanted a Jeep Liberty.. eeeh', but has now changed her mind to a g35 coupe.

Picking it up Next Monday.

I'll express my thoughts compared to my 250 when it arrives.

Quick Reply: What makes the IS 350 better than the G35 Sedan?