IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can the rear lip spoiler be added on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07 | 12:50 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

Default Can the rear lip spoiler be added on?

Hi everyone.
If the ISx50 did not come with the rear lip spoiler, can that be added at the dealership? I see its about a $500 option, but with labor it must approach a grand? I could be dead wrong.
Old 08-14-07 | 12:54 AM
Pineapple

Are you referring to the trunk spoiler or the rear bumper lip? Either way, both of them can be added on at the dealership.

If your talking about the trunk spoiler, yes that is a $500 dealer option (when you buy it on the car pre installed). The dealer will probably charge you $400-500 just to get the part and another ~$200 to install it. You can buy it at Sewell.com for like $240 shipped and have the dealer install it for you, or you can do it yourself if you handy.
Old 08-14-07 | 12:57 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

thanks Pineapple. I should have been more specific. I meant the truck spoiler. I think the brochure refers to it as a "rear lip spoiler".
Old 08-14-07 | 12:59 AM
fdelement
Driver

or you can do it yourself. Get some double-sided tape and a drill
Old 08-14-07 | 01:04 AM
Pineapple

The dealership charges $140/hour for labor. They quoted anywhere from 1-2 hours to install the trunk spoiler.

I'm afraid to drill into my trunk for obvious reasons, but then again, I would probably do a better job than them since I would be very careful since its my own car.

Now I just have to decide if this is a must have item...
Old 08-14-07 | 07:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I installed mine on my own. It is stressful to drill into a perfectly painted trunk lid, but it turned out great.
Old 08-14-07 | 09:11 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pineapple
The dealership charges $140/hour for labor. They quoted anywhere from 1-2 hours to install the trunk spoiler.

I'm afraid to drill into my trunk for obvious reasons, but then again, I would probably do a better job than them since I would be very careful since its my own car.

Now I just have to decide if this is a must have item...
Drilling is NOT required at all. I installed mine using the double sided tape method. Very easy! Total install time: 15 min. No problems so far..
If you live near Los Angeles and would like to check out my spoiler in person, let me know.
Old 08-14-07 | 10:01 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry but youre in L.A. and only double sided tape is holding it?? Dude you are so going to get jacked! LOL Thats why youre supposed to drill holes to prevent theft and to PROPERLY secure the spoiler down.
Old 08-14-07 | 10:16 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Sorry but youre in L.A. and only double sided tape is holding it?? Dude you are so going to get jacked! LOL Thats why youre supposed to drill holes to prevent theft and to PROPERLY secure the spoiler down.
I added some more 3M tape and it holds fine. It will not blow off. see these threads: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e+rear+spoiler
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...er+tape&page=2

I am not worried about it getting stolen because they wouldn't know it was installed using tape only.

Last edited by LexIS250SS; 08-14-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-14-07 | 10:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I drilled mine, but I wish I had tried the double sided tape thing. I'm sure it would be easier to steal, but I would MUCH rather it be easily stolen than to have some jackass mess up my trunk lid trying to get it off while it's bolted.
Old 08-14-07 | 10:50 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
I drilled mine, but I wish I had tried the double sided tape thing. I'm sure it would be easier to steal, but I would MUCH rather it be easily stolen than to have some jackass mess up my trunk lid trying to get it off while it's bolted.
here is another good reason why you should go with tape method
Old 08-14-07 | 05:57 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

If some j/a tries to take your spoiler, they are probably going to mess with other things in the process. I can't imagine someone eyeing JUST the spoiler.
Old 08-14-07 | 06:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
If some j/a tries to take your spoiler, they are probably going to mess with other things in the process. I can't imagine someone eyeing JUST the spoiler.
You must not have ever stolen car stuff before ... shamefully, I have.

When a theif decides to steal a radar detector, stereo, laptop, or trunk spoiler, that is almost always the ONLY thing they are going to steal. Sticking around to steal a 2nd thing (that takes any amount of time) increases the chances of getting caught WAY too much.
Old 08-14-07 | 06:40 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

When a theif decides to steal a radar detector, stereo, laptop, or trunk spoiler...
What's the odd item in this list...
Old 08-14-07 | 06:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Well, there are 2 unrelated "odd" items since the radar detector and laptop are quick grap items, but the stereo and trunk spoiler are not.

Quick Reply: Can the rear lip spoiler be added on?