IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Still waiting for my '07 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07 | 06:56 AM
bimbels
Rookie

Default Still waiting for my '07 IS250

Hi...I'm new to this forum - I'll take some time to peruse the threads, but one question:

A couple of weeks ago we ordered my IS250AWD with luxury package. We gave our salesman our 2 choices of color/interior, and since they had neither on the lot, he said he'd locate one for us. At first he was calling us daily to tell us that he still hadn't found it, but eventually we told him he can contact us when he's actually FOUND it. That was a week ago.

My question is, are we getting too close to the end of the MY to get our first (or second) choice in color with the package we chose? Hubby is calling today to find out the situation, but have others had issue finding the color they want at this point, for the '07s? Are dealerships still taking delivery on the '07s, or are they clearing out for the '08s?
Old 08-14-07 | 07:15 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Depending on the make of the car, most dealers around this time start clearing out for the '08
Old 08-14-07 | 07:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bimbels
Hi...I'm new to this forum - I'll take some time to peruse the threads, but one question:

A couple of weeks ago we ordered my IS250AWD with luxury package. We gave our salesman our 2 choices of color/interior, and since they had neither on the lot, he said he'd locate one for us. At first he was calling us daily to tell us that he still hadn't found it, but eventually we told him he can contact us when he's actually FOUND it. That was a week ago.

My question is, are we getting too close to the end of the MY to get our first (or second) choice in color with the package we chose? Hubby is calling today to find out the situation, but have others had issue finding the color they want at this point, for the '07s? Are dealerships still taking delivery on the '07s, or are they clearing out for the '08s?
What's your color? I had the same problem in May. My color choices were Breakwater/Cashmere or Sterling; Matador/Cashmere or Sterling; or Tungsten/Sterling. They quickly found a few Obsidian, Starfire and Tungstens, all with black interior. Then the found 2 Breakwater/Cashmeres, but both were claimed by other customers as special order. After a month, they found a Tungsten/Sterling, and if I didn't want that, it would be a special order for Breakwater or Matador with the Lux Pkg--they are that rare. I didn't want to wait all summer, so I went with the Tungsten.

I can't imagine you can still special order an '07. Maybe you can press them to give you the same price on an '08.
Old 08-14-07 | 07:31 AM
bimbels
Rookie

yeah, I wanted either the Glacier Frost mica/cashmere or Sterling, or the Obsidian/cashmere. They have a black sapphire pearl/cashmere (or at least, they DID) that I'd take but our BMW is the same color scheme so we kinda wanted something different. I like the Tungsten. Maybe I'll ask about that one.

yeah the dealer was kinda vague (or maybe we didn't press enough because he didn't make it sound like it would be a problem) about whether they'd be getting more cars in a month - that's a question hubby will be asking today.
Old 08-14-07 | 07:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

yeah, I wanted either the Glacier Frost mica/cashmere or Sterling, or the Obsidian/cashmere. They have a black sapphire pearl/cashmere (or at least, they DID) that I'd take but our BMW is the same color scheme so we kinda wanted something different. I like the Tungsten. Maybe I'll ask about that one.

yeah the dealer was kinda vague (or maybe we didn't press enough because he didn't make it sound like it would be a problem) about whether they'd be getting more cars in a month - that's a question hubby will be asking today.
I'm in SE PA, and bought at Lexus of Chester Springs. Their price was great, but they over-hyped their ability to get my top color choices--they said sure, no problem. Then, 2 weeks in, they admitted it was a problem. If it came down to it, I would have made them special order.

I would think they could locate Obsidian for you (probably easier with a black interior).
Old 08-14-07 | 07:58 AM
bimbels
Rookie

We sound like we're neighbors!

Ha! They DID have an obsidian with black! But that's a bit too much black for me. Esp. since I"m always wearing black. I'd look like a blonde goth LOL.

We went to Wilkie. Only because we'd been to the Devon BMW beforehand. I'm sure they make it seem like nooooo problem so you'll agree to the sale. My thing is I don't mind waiting, I just want what I want. I just want them to be straight with me. :
Old 08-14-07 | 08:04 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

At this point, I wait for a 08. They will be out in a couple months.
Old 08-14-07 | 08:07 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

TP/BLK is a good combo....
Old 08-14-07 | 08:09 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

The last batch of 2007s were built in July and arrived on the dealers lots this month. In May I was also trying to find a specific color, matador red, and it was impossible to find. This was early to mid-May and my dealer was already advising me to just wait for the 2008s. I think the IS in general isn't so popular that they are readily available. Secondly if you want a particular version (250, 250 AWD, 250 MT, 350) that narrows down your options even further. Usually the cars only come in certain color combos and options packages further limiting your chances of finding the exact car you want. Then there are the dealers themselves acting as road blocks so that they can sell something on their lot. Sometimes sorting out the disinformation is tough because they make it sound so official and authoritative when they tell you things.

Your best bet if you're picky about your car is to special order. That in itself presents a whole other set of challenges. You have to find a dealer that's willing to do this, and secondly a dealer willing to do this that will actually submit your order and can get the car in a reasonable amount of time. My best advice to special ordering is go with a big dealer and not necessarily your local smaller dealership. The smaller dealers cannot get the cars as fast as a high volume dealership so don't even waste your time. Also, a lot of times the dealers will sit on your order maybe to make you wait it out who knows. The special order process is such that if you (or your lazy dealer) miss a cutoff date to get your order in the system, your stuck waiting for the next build cycle which introduces another 45-60 days wait. My local small dealer quoted me 4-6 months for a special order. I went with a larger dealer and they said 30-60 days for a 2007, and September if I wanted a 2008. Since it was May I was really tempted to jump in on the last batch of 2007s and have the car by now, but I could not get over the fact that within a month it would already be a year old! Plus I would be kicking myself if they made any useful updates on the 2008s that I could have had by just waiting an extra month for a 2008.
Old 08-14-07 | 08:22 AM
bimbels
Rookie

hmm...does anyone know if there are significant differences in the '08s? (Sorry if that's been answered here before. I'll scan old threads now.) I've forwarded this thread to hubby. Thanks for the great info Jdanon.
Old 08-14-07 | 08:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanon
The last batch of 2007s were built in July and arrived on the dealers lots this month. In May I was also trying to find a specific color, matador red, and it was impossible to find. This was early to mid-May and my dealer was already advising me to just wait for the 2008s. I think the IS in general isn't so popular that they are readily available. Secondly if you want a particular version (250, 250 AWD, 250 MT, 350) that narrows down your options even further. Usually the cars only come in certain color combos and options packages further limiting your chances of finding the exact car you want. Then there are the dealers themselves acting as road blocks so that they can sell something on their lot. Sometimes sorting out the disinformation is tough because they make it sound so official and authoritative when they tell you things.

Your best bet if you're picky about your car is to special order. That in itself presents a whole other set of challenges. You have to find a dealer that's willing to do this, and secondly a dealer willing to do this that will actually submit your order and can get the car in a reasonable amount of time. My best advice to special ordering is go with a big dealer and not necessarily your local smaller dealership. The smaller dealers cannot get the cars as fast as a high volume dealership so don't even waste your time. Also, a lot of times the dealers will sit on your order maybe to make you wait it out who knows. The special order process is such that if you (or your lazy dealer) miss a cutoff date to get your order in the system, your stuck waiting for the next build cycle which introduces another 45-60 days wait. My local small dealer quoted me 4-6 months for a special order. I went with a larger dealer and they said 30-60 days for a 2007, and September if I wanted a 2008. Since it was May I was really tempted to jump in on the last batch of 2007s and have the car by now, but I could not get over the fact that within a month it would already be a year old! Plus I would be kicking myself if they made any useful updates on the 2008s that I could have had by just waiting an extra month for a 2008.

ADD TO THAT: Less than 10% of AWD models are produced from the factory with the Luxury Package. Factor in a color that is not one of the top colors, and BINGO special order.
Old 08-14-07 | 08:32 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

hmm...does anyone know if there are significant differences in the '08s? (Sorry if that's been answered here before. I'll scan old threads now.) I've forwarded this thread to hubby. Thanks for the great info Jdanon.
The main changes as I understand it is the addition of a coin holder, changing the scuff plate illumination color from blue to white, maybe some more rear seat room by way of a change in the shape of the seats, there may be a few others, but nothing major.
Old 08-14-07 | 09:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdanon
The main changes as I understand it is the addition of a coin holder, changing the scuff plate illumination color from blue to white, maybe some more rear seat room by way of a change in the shape of the seats, there may be a few others, but nothing major.
Also- Backlighting on the mirror controls IIRC, steering feedback is improved (possibly only on 350s, not sure), new finish on the wheels... and the AWD 250s get a slight price cut (everything else a slight increase)... I vaguely recall something about heated seats are now standard on 250s...
Old 08-14-07 | 09:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

friends special ordered 07 IS350 ordered back in april is going to be a 08 instead since its too close to the 08 year to make a new one, expected delivery in october
Old 08-14-07 | 09:36 AM
bimbels
Rookie

Wow. You guys are helping me alot here - I really appreciate it. I asked to begin with because I wasn't sure if we should cave and get a different color or if we should wait for the '08. I'll let you know what the dealer says...

Quick Reply: Still waiting for my '07 IS250