IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auxiliary Audio Input Port Noise TSIB L-AU001-07 Finally Released!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 10:26 AM
sandwiches
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 and using the Griffin Tuneflex aux (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/12740/) I get horrible alternator whine and the cell phone interference noise. I think I'll exchange for the Belkin cable...
Old 02-06-08, 08:45 AM
hhnyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anach
Does anyone have word on whether this has been fixed on the '08 models?
I have an '08 model and the whining/static noise still exists. I took my car to the dealership where I bought the car, and showed them the 2006-2007 TSIB, but after keeping my car for nearly a day, I was told the TSIB doesn't apply to my car.

I then took the car to another dealership (along with my 5k maintenance), and after checking with Lexus Corporate (I assume), they did it for me under warranty. I just picked it up last night, but whoever did the job screwed up big time...there's a clicking noise coming from the shifter...the piece of black plastic underneath the wood trim in the center console/dash, but more importantly, the car shifts out of park and into other gears WITHOUT the brake having to be depressed! I'm taking it in AGAIN later tonight...
Old 02-06-08, 11:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

huh... now I wonder if the belkin has a filter built in without mentioning it or if I just haven't used it enough to have noticed the problem...
Old 02-08-08, 07:13 PM
anach
Driver School Candidate

I ended up getting a "line-out" for my ipod & plugging it in w/ my 08 350 and I haven't heard any static or high pitched noises or anything. I think they may have fixed it for this year...
Old 02-09-08, 01:33 PM
PureCrstal
Rookie

I actually just got this tsib done 2 days ago and the noise is still there. I called my service rep and asked him if actually changed anything cause the problem is still there. He says his team applied the tsib on it and if its still making that noise then "that noise just comes with the car." WTH! comes with a 36k+ car? He told me the same thing about the engine cranking noise its a noise that comes with the car. I really need to find another dealer in the los angeles area...
Old 03-21-08, 11:08 PM
juncho
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeho
I got it fixed. I wonder why they don't fix the grounding issue on the car rather than just insert a ground filter. Granted, it's a $125 ground filter, according to the fix information, but still. Since it's probably a grounding issue, that means the newer models won't have a ground filter and will sound better. Filters, no matter how good they may be, still distort sound slightly since you're not going to be able to filter out the whine completely as it changes frequencies.
Mikeho, I think you nailed it on the head. I'm not a total audiophile but i know enough that a filter would introduce some distortion (and come on... it's just not as "pure" ). Obviously, Lexus is addressing the engine noise by providing a filter but does anyone have enough technical knowledge (and the gutts) to try to ground the aux port by some custom implementation instead?
Old 05-08-08, 06:56 PM
gromf
Driver School Candidate

Very useful thread. Thanks!

One question: Is there a TSIB for 2008 models? My 2008 IS350 has the same problem described by others and addressed in the 2007 TSIB.

And one idea:

Originally Posted by juncho
Obviously, Lexus is addressing the engine noise by providing a filter but does anyone have enough technical knowledge (and the gutts) to try to ground the aux port by some custom implementation instead?
Well, it would be much easier to reground the 12VDC jack rather than the audio jack, right? As I understand the problem (glibly, I admit), the issue is that both the audio and power jack share a common ground. That suggests to me that the solution is isolating the two from each other, then, and that can be done by modifying either's ground. Would it not work to simply clip the ground to the 12VDC and screw the ground right into some metal under the center console? Just an idea.
Old 05-09-08, 06:49 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hhnyc
I have an '08 model and the whining/static noise still exists. I took my car to the dealership where I bought the car, and showed them the 2006-2007 TSIB, but after keeping my car for nearly a day, I was told the TSIB doesn't apply to my car.

I then took the car to another dealership (along with my 5k maintenance), and after checking with Lexus Corporate (I assume), they did it for me under warranty. I just picked it up last night, but whoever did the job screwed up big time...there's a clicking noise coming from the shifter...the piece of black plastic underneath the wood trim in the center console/dash, but more importantly, the car shifts out of park and into other gears WITHOUT the brake having to be depressed! I'm taking it in AGAIN later tonight...
I believe the dealer deactivated your brake transmission shift interlock feature. All you need is a flat head screw driver to re-activate. It is located on the center consol assembly. Good thing you are taking it back, that is poor service on the techs part. On a side note, I had the TSIB for the in-line noise filter, and my whining noise is now gone. I was using that jack for XM radio (LOL). It was the el-cheapo method on my part. Although sound quality is not the best, it worked well. It was my alternative to the $250+ tuner box.
Old 05-09-08, 08:39 AM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine done and didn't fix the whine from my ExpressRC XM radio. I had to do something completely different to make it go away.
Old 09-05-08, 10:25 AM
meladdin
Driver School Candidate

I took my '06 IS250 for its 30k service and asked them to do this TSIB as my Zune makes the noise. They said the parts haven't even been released yet. This TSIB is 1 year old. Why would they tell me this?
Old 09-05-08, 11:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meladdin
I took my '06 IS250 for its 30k service and asked them to do this TSIB as my Zune makes the noise. They said the parts haven't even been released yet. This TSIB is 1 year old. Why would they tell me this?
That's odd.

You have two options:

1) Bring a copy of the TSB that specifies what they need to do.

2) Or go to another dealership that knows how to get it done.
Old 09-05-08, 12:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Because they're lazy or they don't know how to use their own system?

Many folks on here have had the TSIB done already, the parts have been out for a long time now
Old 09-05-08, 12:42 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

The parts are out, but they need to be ordered by the dealer. I had to take my car in twice before they got it right. Try a new dealer.
Old 09-05-08, 04:12 PM
meladdin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's odd.

You have two options:

1) Bring a copy of the TSB that specifies what they need to do.

2) Or go to another dealership that knows how to get it done.
I did give them a copy the TSIB when I dropped off the car. Service rep also said the tech working on my car is also waiting to get this work done on his own car but there are no parts. So yup it sounds like they don't know how to use the system. This is the same service rep who told me that doing the brake dust TSIB would bring back squeaking noises.
There is only one Lexus dealer in Portland metro area. I did call corporate to look into this and help out the dealer find the parts.
Old 09-15-11, 11:58 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i recently had the TSIB applied to my 08 isf... 1st time i showed up, lexus tech told me to get a shielded cable and to have it as short as possible... i didn't want to buy a new cord as i didn't think this would've solved the problem... so i printed out the TSIB and showed it to them and they said ok, we'll try it for ya... so of course they had to order the parts and that did the magic in fixing it... so if you are still under warranty, i'd say do it and if that dealer doesn't want to do it, go to another dealer... it also helps if you get service with them to build a relationship with that dealer... i go to sewell lexus in fort worth, TX and they have pretty good service... they did my rearview mirror shake TSIB too...

anywho, if you aren't under warranty, people have said to get a "ground loop isolator"... i looked for this and found this while googling aux cables... didn't want to try it but reading reviews, it seems like it should work...

Last edited by JKweezy; 09-15-11 at 12:01 PM. Reason: haha misspelled a word

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Audio Input Port Noise TSIB L-AU001-07 Finally Released!