07 or 08? Worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 07:42 AM
GNG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 or 08? Worth the wait?

Guys,
I'm just about ready to buy my IS250 and saw the minor changes to the 08's, including cooler wheels and the illuminated scuff plates. As dumb as this sounds, one of the reasons I didn't run out to buy the new IS was because I felt the stock wheels on my IS300 were cooler, plus my IS300 had the cool aluminum scuff plates and pedals and the IS250 required sport package to get that.

I've gotten some great advice from you all on the pricing of the 07's. It appears that the prices for the 08's isn't significantly different, MSRP. So let's for grins assume that it's reasonable to get an 07 Out The Door for $33K (no nav, auto). When the 08's come out, has it been your experience that they stick to MSRP, or do you think they will give relatively the same deal since the sticker prices are so close? I know logic suggests that the new ones will be higher priced, but it isn't like they're blowing out 07's at ridiculous prices ("too low to advertise") - I mean, I've been talking to the same dealer for a year (I know, time to hurry up and buy) and his price has always pretty much been the same, plus or minus $500.
Old 08-16-07, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Price increased by less than 1%, so there really isn't that much difference between the '07 and '08.

However, for the IS250, great incentives can be had in SoCal. Most people are getting the IS250 for invoice or less. The IS350 is a completely different story, but it seems that you're not looking into that.

For example, one of my SoCal friends got an '07 IS250 with Premium package, chromed 18"s, and free maintenance for 50k miles, for $32k OTD.
Old 08-16-07, 08:08 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

You can buy the Illuminated Scuff plates from lexus-parts.com for around $200. The install is as simple as it gets. You can purchase the sport pedals if you like, but they will run you $230 (unless you find them on ebay or here) and the install looks like a pain in the rear.

Like Phil said, you could get an '07 250 below invoice in Cali right now.
Old 08-16-07, 08:19 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the two above. You can add those parts easily and cheaply so I would let that be a deciding factor. Just get the best deal you can, and to that I am thinking you are more likely to get a better deal on an 07 as the 08 are right around the corner and the dealerships will be needing to clear stock.
Old 08-16-07, 08:26 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Lose it now or later, that's the main difference between purchasing an 07 vs 08.
As soon as the 08 comes out in a month, the 07 would be valued as a one year old car regardless of how many miles are on it. While the 07 would be a "new" car, it is still a year old model. The buyer would pay less for the purchase now, but lose out about the same amount when it comes to resale value.

On the other hand, the 08 would cost more at purchase but have a higher resale value than an 07.

07 Advantage: initial lower payments / price, looks just like an 08 model.
07 Disadvantage: limited choices in options, colors...>have to take what is on th lot, the car is already a one year old car (regardless of the miles)

08 Advantage: higher resale value, many of the TSB quirks have been fixed, a few upgrades/changes, full choice of options and colors
08 Disadvantage: initial costs will be greater, anywhere from invoice to 2k over invoice.

I/we have purchased more new cars over the past 17 years than most people in a lifetime. We've always opted to go for the latest model year possible and thus far have yet to be burned.
Old 08-16-07, 08:57 AM
ShoFly
Rookie

Remember the Illuminated scuff plates only come with the Luxury package so unless you get that you'd be buying it separately anyways. As for rims, I thought they were only changing the finish and not the style.
Old 08-16-07, 11:24 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShoFly
Remember the Illuminated scuff plates only come with the Luxury package so unless you get that you'd be buying it separately anyways. As for rims, I thought they were only changing the finish and not the style.
Not true, you get the scuff plates with the X-Package or as I stated above, you can get them online and install them yourself.
Old 08-16-07, 12:07 PM
UNMENDIGO
Rookie

Default Wait For The O8..(and It Rhymes)

Your Better Waiting For The 'o8 This Late In The Game..think Long Term And Resale
Old 08-16-07, 12:57 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UNMENDIGO
Your Better Waiting For The 'o8 This Late In The Game..think Long Term And Resale
Not really. Long term, resale won't be much between an 07 and 08.

You just got to go with what feels best for your situation. 07, probably save a few bucks. 08, you probably get exactly what your looking for. What is more important to you, the money or the total satisfaction. If your keeping the car long term, I would highly suggest that you go for satisfaction over the $ savings. But only you can determine that.
Old 08-16-07, 01:06 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Not really. Long term, resale won't be much between an 07 and 08.
The difference between a 2006 and 2007 IS350 optioned the same is about $2,200. Thus, the 2007s will be valued about 2k less in a month when the 2008 models are available. Regardless... just purchase what makes you happy as 2k isn't really that much to sweat about these days.
Old 08-16-07, 01:08 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShoFly
May not be true as the "change" of the illuminated scuff plates did not state if it was added across the IS model as a standard option or still part of a package. We'll see in a month or so.
Old 08-16-07, 01:08 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Originally Posted by GNG
Guys,
I'm just about ready to buy my IS250 and saw the minor changes to the 08's, including cooler wheels and the illuminated scuff plates. As dumb as this sounds, one of the reasons I didn't run out to buy the new IS was because I felt the stock wheels on my IS300 were cooler, plus my IS300 had the cool aluminum scuff plates and pedals and the IS250 required sport package to get that.

I've gotten some great advice from you all on the pricing of the 07's. It appears that the prices for the 08's isn't significantly different, MSRP. So let's for grins assume that it's reasonable to get an 07 Out The Door for $33K (no nav, auto). When the 08's come out, has it been your experience that they stick to MSRP, or do you think they will give relatively the same deal since the sticker prices are so close? I know logic suggests that the new ones will be higher priced, but it isn't like they're blowing out 07's at ridiculous prices ("too low to advertise") - I mean, I've been talking to the same dealer for a year (I know, time to hurry up and buy) and his price has always pretty much been the same, plus or minus $500.

wait what cooler wheels are we talking about here?
Old 08-16-07, 01:12 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kindred6ul
wait what cooler wheels are we talking about here?
Liquid Graphite

From This thread
Old 08-16-07, 01:41 PM
ShoFly
Rookie

Originally Posted by Buds
Not true, you get the scuff plates with the X-Package or as I stated above, you can get them online and install them yourself.
I thought it was another package but forgot which off hand. And what I wrote I meant getting them separately as in online.

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
May not be true as the "change" of the illuminated scuff plates did not state if it was added across the IS model as a standard option or still part of a package. We'll see in a month or so.
That is true! Guess you'll see
Old 08-16-07, 01:56 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Liquid Graphite

From This thread
Awesome....those look like shinier OEM rims, but 17 inch. Looks good

Quick Reply: 07 or 08? Worth the wait?