IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to get the NAVI system to play DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 09:35 AM
NanjingBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the NAVI system to play DVDs

Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you guys know a way for me to play movies in my NAVI system.
Old 08-16-07, 10:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

First question: Do you have the Mark Levinson audio system with your Nav system? If you don't, you can't play DVDs.

Second question: If you have the Mark Levinson system, do you have the gear in Park WITH the parking brake on? If not, you can't play DVDs (unless you do the Nav Hack).

I hope this helps.

And Search will help too...
Old 08-16-07, 10:10 AM
NanjingBoy
Driver School Candidate

NO unfourtunately I don't have the Mark Levinson audio system. But even without the system isn't there a way I can maybe hack into the navi system and program it so it will play movies?

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Welcome to ClubLexus!

First question: Do you have the Mark Levinson audio system with your Nav system? If you don't, you can't play DVDs.

Second question: If you have the Mark Levinson system, do you have the gear in Park WITH the parking brake on? If not, you can't play DVDs (unless you do the Nav Hack).

I hope this helps.

And Search will help too...
Old 08-16-07, 10:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by NanjingBoy
NO unfourtunately I don't have the Mark Levinson audio system. But even without the system isn't there a way I can maybe hack into the navi system and program it so it will play movies?
I don't think anyone has been able to do it yet.

The problem is that without the ML system, the CD player is only a CD player. You would need to change the CD player to a CD/DVD player, then route it to the Nav system. Attempts have been made, but none that I have heard of successfully...
Old 08-16-07, 10:30 AM
NanjingBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think anyone has been able to do it yet.

The problem is that without the ML system, the CD player is only a CD player. You would need to change the CD player to a CD/DVD player, then route it to the Nav system. Attempts have been made, but none that I have heard of successfully...
oh I see. Now I'm very disappointed. When I bought this car I guess I was too excited and I skipped this part about the Navi system. I was also looking at the TL type S and that car does play DVDSs
Old 08-16-07, 10:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

oh I see. Now I'm very disappointed. When I bought this car I guess I was too excited and I skipped this part about the Navi system. I was also looking at the TL type S and that car does play DVDSs
Well, there are plenty of aftermarket DVD options.

To integrate it into the Nav system is difficult. To add screens throughout the car is easy...
Old 08-16-07, 11:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

they need to be in the headrests anyway to be useful and safe!
Old 08-16-07, 12:07 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

umm.. the Mark Levinson plays DVD.. so i don't get how the TL type S has anything to do with what you're saying. Lexus offers DVD playing out the box...
Old 08-16-07, 01:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
umm.. the Mark Levinson plays DVD.. so i don't get how the TL type S has anything to do with what you're saying. Lexus offers DVD playing out the box...
The ML -with nav- plays DVDs.

The ML without nav may or may not depening on who you lsiten to. (I'll tell you for sure in about 6 weeks :P)
Old 08-17-07, 12:32 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

I have the NAV (Non ML) and went with an aftermarket DVD player and NAVTV (www.navtv.com) it works great, my kid's (3yrs) car seat is in the middle, she can see the screen and loves it. once she is old enough (or too big for the middle) I will add screens to the seats.
Old 08-17-07, 11:04 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

please do a search...theres been about 5 of us who have successfully completed this. its not too hard to do, but definetally not easy
Old 08-17-07, 11:11 AM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cancellino
I have the NAV (Non ML) and went with an aftermarket DVD player and NAVTV (www.navtv.com) it works great, my kid's (3yrs) car seat is in the middle, she can see the screen and loves it. once she is old enough (or too big for the middle) I will add screens to the seats.
Can you please post some pics? I would like to see your setup!
Old 08-17-07, 11:30 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

oh I see. Now I'm very disappointed . . . I was also looking at the TL type S and that car does play DVDSs
No need to be disappointed, the TL-S can only play DVD-A (audio) and won't play video of any format. Even if you add an external DVD video source, it is extremely difficult to get the video to play on the Acura Nav screen. Besides, the IS has a much higher res Nav screen than the current gen TLs . . .
Old 08-17-07, 12:40 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I dont have images of the module from NAV TV 702 Motoring did the install and. Here are some screen shots and a pix of the DVD Player. I had an IR Bubble installed (about the size of a dime) so that I can use the remote with the glove compartment closed. Once the car is on and the you start the DVD player, you simply push the Disc/AUX button and there it is. Everything else works as normal. Get a phone call, it automatically shows the correct screen and then goes back when the call is complete (same with all other settings). I am very happy with this and for the price you can't beat it (you pobably could, but I am happy): $1,200.00 installed. Plus down the road I can add sreens in the seats or whereever. Ideally, I would rather have the ML system, but you would have to cut wires. This is plug and play.
Attached Thumbnails How to get the NAVI system to play DVDs-dsc00204.jpg  
Old 08-17-07, 12:41 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

Screen Shot
Attached Thumbnails How to get the NAVI system to play DVDs-dsc00217.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to get the NAVI system to play DVDs