CD Changer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 04:03 PM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer Issue

Hi All-

Recently Ive had a problem with my CD player. I'll be in the middle of listening to a CD and suddenly it will stop playing. I can try to eject the CD but that doesn't work. I can try to change over to another CD but then that doesnt work either (think blinking disc for a while on the audio screen.) So basically when the CD player stops working, im left without a working CD player for about a day or two, and then the thing will decide to work again.

I took my car in to the dealer today to have them look at it, and they said that it states "somewhere in the manual" not to use burned CDs in the player, eventhough there is the "MP3/Wav" thing underneath the CD opening. They told me to use regular CDs in my player for a week and see if any got stuck; and if some did, then they'd order me a new unit.

I think its pretty lame that by now lexus doesnt make their cars able to play burned CDs. My 2000 honda civic is worth a fraction of what my Is250 is worth and it is able to play burned Cds...

But yeah, anyone else with this problem?

Oh yeah btw I have a 2007 Is250 w/o ML
Old 08-16-07, 04:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, my CD/DVD player started acting up, and would intermittently not eject any of my discs (none of which were burnt; all were original store-bought discs). I can load a disc, but it sometimes won't eject it.

My dealer is changing my CD/DVD player next week for me under warranty.
Old 08-16-07, 04:27 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I use nothing but burned MP3 cds in my cd changer and I have never gotten one stuck, so I dont think it has anything to do with the fact that they are burned vs. factory unless you are putting some kind of sticker label on them, then maybe. I have read of a couple other complain about CDs getting stuck and stuff though. How much you wanna bet there'll be a TSIB on the CD changer too at some point!
Old 08-16-07, 04:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all my cds are burned also and i have no issues. either it will play it or it wont. sounds like there is a problem with the stereo/cd system...have them replace it.
Old 08-16-07, 04:50 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Mine wouldn't eject, play, or anything else. Dealer replaced it a couple months ago. It took 5 weeks to get my CDs back from the factory. Fill it with non-mp3 CDs you don't like much, and take it back in when it fails, because it probably will. I had both mp3 and non-mp3 in mine. I don't think it's related to mp3 - just faulty players from the factory.
Old 08-17-07, 04:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bwalen
Hi All-

Recently Ive had a problem with my CD player. I'll be in the middle of listening to a CD and suddenly it will stop playing. I can try to eject the CD but that doesn't work. I can try to change over to another CD but then that doesnt work either (think blinking disc for a while on the audio screen.) So basically when the CD player stops working, im left without a working CD player for about a day or two, and then the thing will decide to work again.

I took my car in to the dealer today to have them look at it, and they said that it states "somewhere in the manual" not to use burned CDs in the player, eventhough there is the "MP3/Wav" thing underneath the CD opening. They told me to use regular CDs in my player for a week and see if any got stuck; and if some did, then they'd order me a new unit.

I think its pretty lame that by now lexus doesnt make their cars able to play burned CDs. My 2000 honda civic is worth a fraction of what my Is250 is worth and it is able to play burned Cds...

But yeah, anyone else with this problem?

Oh yeah btw I have a 2007 Is250 w/o ML
Take it in--it's under warranty. Especially if this is not intermittent, and happens every time.
Old 08-17-07, 06:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bwalen
they said that it states "somewhere in the manual" not to use burned CDs in the player, eventhough there is the "MP3/Wav" thing underneath the CD opening. They told me to use regular CDs in my player for a week and see if any got stuck; and if some did, then they'd order me a new unit.
Ask them to show you that precaution in the manual. I'm almost certain there is no such warning. The vast majority of CDs in my unit are not only burned, but also re-writable, and I've never had your issue. I'd pressure the dealer to replace the unit.
Old 08-17-07, 10:38 AM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys-

Yeah i think i will just bs it and tell them that i had problems and was able to get all my cd's out between getting the car to the dealership; they should replace it under warranty, the car isn't even 4 months old!

And thank you for confirming my suspicions about the playability of burned cds; i figured the Is should be able to do that...
Old 08-21-07, 05:00 PM
kewl
Rookie

At least for the ES350 the manual is very clear about how you should record CD's for play in the car's cd player. It is equally clear that you can play burned CD in the car's player, else why would they have 4-5 pages of hints and tips on how to burn cd's and what kind of cd's to use. For the ES350 see the Nav Sys Owner's manual, starting on page 223.

BTW a 'burned' CD is stuck in slot one of my player - I've had the car for 3 months. It was playing along fine, but when it went to play the next song...it quit. Hasn't worked since.
Old 08-21-07, 05:29 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I've played approx 10/12 diff burned Cdr's and have not had any problem at all. I use both Maxell and Memorex CDR's so far so good.

I wonder if you could have burned a bad/corrupted file onto a CDR?
Old 08-22-07, 05:15 AM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

most of the CD's have been HP, but maybe i'll try a new brand and see if that works...so far no problems since my visit to the dealer last week.
Old 09-05-07, 06:26 PM
terrera
Driver School Candidate

The cd player on my 2007 GS 350 failed at 5000 miles and the replacement just failed at 11000 miles. Both times the "stuck" cd was a "book on cd" from the library. The dealer says that some cds are "thicker" than others and foul up the player. This is lame and completely unacceptable for a $50k car.
Old 09-05-07, 06:29 PM
bwalen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrera
The cd player on my 2007 GS 350 failed at 5000 miles and the replacement just failed at 11000 miles. Both times the "stuck" cd was a "book on cd" from the library. The dealer says that some cds are "thicker" than others and foul up the player. This is lame and completely unacceptable for a $50k car.
agreedespecially when i also own a 15k car that has ZERO issues with playing cds
Old 09-07-07, 01:37 PM
taze
Driver School Candidate

mine plays, ejects, and changes cd's no problem....i just get no audio! now how bout that
Old 09-09-07, 01:45 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Mine failed at around 4000miles about 5 months into ownership. Yes I had burned CDs in there and it was just plain stuck... I couldnt do anything. Cant play cant change CDs and cant Eject. Dealer replaced it and came to the house to install the new player. They mentioned that some burned CDs are thicker and might cause the CD player to be stuck but didnt say I cant use it anymore So I continue to use it and now 12K miles later its still working. *knock on wood 350 times *

Quick Reply: CD Changer Issue