IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What type of double sided type do I need to attach the OEM trunk spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 07:17 PM
Pineapple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of double sided type do I need to attach the OEM trunk spoiler?

I've decided to mount my OEM trunk spoiler using the no drill method since alot of people have had good results and I may want to upgrade to the IS-F Spoiler when it comes out.

What type of double sided tape should I get to beef up the existing double sided tap? Do I use the red 3M heavy duty exterior mounting tape, 3M automotive mounting tape or something else?

bonus question: should I use a mixture of water/alcohol or water/dawn to degrease/dewax the trunk?
Old 08-16-07, 07:22 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple
I've decided to mount my OEM trunk spoiler using the no drill method since alot of people have had good results and I may want to upgrade to the IS-F Spoiler when it comes out.

What type of double sided tape should I get to beef up the existing double sided tap? Do I use the red 3M heavy duty exterior mounting tape, 3M automotive mounting tape or something else?

bonus question: should I use a mixture of water/alcohol or water/dawn to degrease/dewax the trunk?
Yes you use the red 3m tape you can get at any auto store. It's called 3m automotive tape.

Yes wash your back trunk area with dawn which will strip the wax away. If you rinse it well that should be enough. You don't need to use the mix.

Seriously I don't think you even need the 3m tape, but I put it in the empty spots just for extra security.

The tape method holds up so far for me @ 140mph, sleet, snow, 107 temps so far in dallas, and a boat load of rain over the previous 2 months.
Old 08-16-07, 07:29 PM
Pineapple

Originally Posted by combfilter
The tape method holds up so far for me @ 140mph, sleet, snow, 107 temps so far in dallas, and a boat load of rain over the previous 2 months.
Thanks!

Thats the same quote from your previous post that made me decide its safe to tape
Old 08-16-07, 10:09 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

good to know you are using the search function! most people fail that part. hehe. Actually, the search can be a tad of a ***** sometimes when you don't know how to search for something and it needs to be greater then 3 letters. So you would think a search like "afs" would pull up all the afs threads, but i guess on these php forums the mysql db cannot return 3 letter query that well. You would need to search for afs+blinking or something like that

good luck with your spoiler install. make sure where you stick the 3m tape it's not laying over the stock tape... you want all the tapes laying at the same height. It will make sense when you do it.

also, I noticed the best technique with the removal of the 3 bolts on the spoiler is that you actually use a dremel bit that kind of sucks. You attempt to cut the bolt off way low, but what would happen for me and others is that the bolt would create enough eat that you could just pull the whole bolt out after only about 1/4 of the way cutting. Then it's perfectly flush.

have fun.
Old 08-16-07, 10:13 PM
neova
Pole Position

Um.. what are you going to do with the bolts that protrude from the base of the OEM trunk spoiler? If you are going to tape the spoiler you will need to saw off those bolts.... they are integrated into the spoiler and not screwed on. So it's mean for you to install the spoiler by drilling holes.

I was originally going to use 3m and urethane (that's how my did my previous IS300 with the RMM trunk lip) but upon discovering about those bolts, I decided to just drill holes and install the spoiler that way.
Old 08-16-07, 10:29 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neova
Um.. what are you going to do with the bolts that protrude from the base of the OEM trunk spoiler? If you are going to tape the spoiler you will need to saw off those bolts.... they are integrated into the spoiler and not screwed on. So it's mean for you to install the spoiler by drilling holes.

I was originally going to use 3m and urethane (that's how my did my previous IS300 with the RMM trunk lip) but upon discovering about those bolts, I decided to just drill holes and install the spoiler that way.
^^^read the post above^^^ or the other post regarding this install. They melt and pull right out. or dremel off flush. even if they didn't even drill flush there is more space then you would need.
Old 08-16-07, 10:31 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neova
um... Read Combfilters post above
Old 08-17-07, 12:13 AM
Pineapple

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking I'll just using a heatgun (a much stronger...hairdryer) and focus the heat on the bolt, that way it'll pop off.