IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Now getting 2008 instead of 2007-But when?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 08:36 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, nothing's changing on the '08s. Given the choice between a 2007 and 2008 I'd take the 2008 since they are due to arrive in the next month or so. If one has waited this long for a car they might as well just wait the extra month and get the new model.
Old 08-18-07, 08:41 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

im currently looking at the awd 250's since my dad is being a pain is the *** about me getting a rwd in Mass. annoying :S wish it didnt snow... im im pretty pissed because even a camry's engine has more hp then the 250 and that just ticks me off
Old 08-18-07, 11:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
im currently looking at the awd 250's since my dad is being a pain is the *** about me getting a rwd in Mass. annoying :S wish it didnt snow... im im pretty pissed because even a camry's engine has more hp then the 250 and that just ticks me off
err... i dont know about you but...

I lived in vancouver BC for about 6months durring the winter once, my supra couldnt even go over a speed bump and making a turn??? It was as scary as driving 75mph in bumper to bumper LA traffic... your dad is right. Lotta of the Xgen ppl grew up in fwd cars and now that rwd is starting to make a comeback (kinda) gonna be interesting here this comming winter for you snowbirds.
Old 08-19-07, 06:07 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BucBaby
Thanks for the reply. The salesperson said something about getting a car on their lot, and then when ours comes in we trade it with no expense to us. Anyone heard of this arrangement before?

I didn't call today because I wanted to hear some more of your experiences and advice before I went in.

My DH also asked me what kind of leverage we would have to ask for extras or a better price. I mentioned that we might want some credit for services down the road? Did anyone get a clear bra for theirs? Give me the ammo guys, and I'll try my best.
The deal involving buying one of their cars now and getting full trade value for when your car comes in is fishy as they get, I'd avoid it because the only thing its going to be is a headache.

Seems to me that they didn't order your car at all from the information you provided.

Insist on having everything in writing, including ALL of the options, etc. As for perks, I would go for tinting, mats, clear bra - avoid getting service credits because you eventually may not want to use their service department for some reason or another and the credits would go wasted.
Old 08-23-07, 03:02 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

OK. I left a message and gave them a few days to call back. So I tried again today, and spoke to the person handling my account.

He again said that something must of happened to my car because we had been placed at the top of the list for the 2008's. I questioned why we had never been on any of the allocation lists that he had gotten. He said that he just didn't know. I didn't push it, because we're getting an '08, and it's in the past.

He also said that we would know on Sept. 4th or Sept. 16th when we would get our car and the VIN# because that's when they get their lists. I remembered someone saying that he should be able to find where they are regarding our car build at any time and asked him about it. He said that he wouldn' t know until then. He said that we would get our car in September.

Now for getting a car to use in the meantime. I asked more questions and this is what he said. They said that they opened a customer satisfaction file on me. This would allow me to get a car to drive until mine came in. They would sell me an '07 on the lot. I could pay cash or finance it. When my car comes in, it would be like an even trade and I wouldn't lose any money if I paid cash, and only the interest if I had a loan. He said something about signing two contracts and that they pay for the tags and resistration on the first one for us. I'm going to have my husband call him again tomorrow and ask more questions.

Again, has anyone ever heard of this? He said that another woman and I had this happen to us (car not coming in on time) and that he had never seen it before. The other woman bought another car and is waiting for her new one. He wants to know what we want to do.
Old 08-23-07, 03:39 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Well my story is well documented here so I don't need to tell you my frustration or how long I've waited. I asked for an update on my new preference order and instead of hearing End of August (like what the Sales manager told me in June) or September (when I really expected it) he says maybe October. /sigh

Two different managers from two different dealers told me that Lexus does not like special orders. They both also told me that they will fill the dealer allocations out first before preference orders.... It's quite funny to hear after being told that mine would be a priority order since they screwed up my previous preference order. It even says priority on the top of my photocopy of my preference order...

About the buying an 07 now and getting an even trade on an 08... that sounds really suspect to me. I would get everything in writing and then take that to your lawyer. After reading about others and experincing my own issues with the special order, this has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Lexus.

Good luck with yours and keep us updated!
Old 08-23-07, 04:28 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole thing about buying a car first then trade it for another sounds really fishy. What about all the license fees and such associated with buying a car? Why would they want to pay all those fees when it would cost a comparable amount just to let you have a loaner car out of their service fleet. And what about the sales tax?

Sales guy gets to collect two commissions off of you, right? If this really is a net cost $0 swap, can you ask for any car on the lot? Why not drive around in an LS460 until your car arrives?
Old 08-23-07, 05:29 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Thanks guys.

I told the guy that I was going to have my husband call tomorrow and let him explain the situation to him. He has a way of cutting through the BS and putting things straight without p@#$ing someone off. I do OK until I feel things are fishy. Sometimes the salesman don't take well to a strong female so we just good cop, bad cop them and it usually works. This is all so confusing. It reminds me of the government...lot's of spin.

Shoyuu, you still don't have your car either? Yikes. Have they opened a Customer Satisfaction File on you?

Reading here has helped me understand more, but we need to figure out what to do next. I think I'll ask about the Customer Satisfaction File on a new thread to see if this is a thing at all Lexus's.