IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Paddle Shifters Compared to Others

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 12:52 AM
THoon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Paddle Shifters Compared to Others

Anyone know how the paddle shifters in the IS compare to other brands like Mitsubishi, Acura, BMW, Ifiniti, etc...? Are the other brands shifters also actually gear limiters or do they actually work like a manual tranny?
Old 08-18-07, 12:54 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

Unless it is a Ferrari, I am pretty certain, they are "limiters"...
Old 08-18-07, 02:00 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It's fully automatic setup with only manual upshift. The system will downshift automatically even if you don't as the car slows down. The only system i heard that is fully manual-like is the SMG....and i think the Porche's too but i haven't personally tested thing.
Old 08-18-07, 02:03 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You forget about Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Maserati. I am sure I am forgetting a few.
Old 08-18-07, 04:48 AM
Lexus88
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like how on my IS it shifts pretty quick.. on my bmw 3 series, it would take about 2 seconds before it even shifts...
Old 08-18-07, 07:13 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
It's fully automatic setup with only manual upshift. The system will downshift automatically even if you don't as the car slows down. The only system i heard that is fully manual-like is the SMG....and i think the Porche's too but i haven't personally tested thing.
no, the SMG still downshifts for you if your RPMs are too low for the gear you indicated. I don't see that much of a difference between the two except that the SMG shifts faster upon request, but also is really hard to drive smoothly.
Old 08-18-07, 09:11 AM
cneeley
Rookie

I like the way audi's tiptronic works more than the lex. Say you put it into tiptronic accelerate up to 3rd gear as you slow down it will automatically downshift you back down to first if you come to a stop... so if you accelerate again you have to shift from first to second to third. Also if you're accelerating sort of hard but want to shift at 3-4k rpm's (I used to do this in the morning merging onto freeway before the engine was warmed up) in the lex it still just holds the gear even if you shift whereas the audi it would put you in any gear you wanted as long as it didn't go over redline or stall the car out. Definitely a lot more control. (This is from my experience from my 98 Audi a6.)
Old 08-18-07, 11:13 AM
fdelement
Driver

i drove a stick for the last 7 years of my life. Once i went to the paddle shifters it just doesn't do it for me so i never use it. I also tried the paddle shifters on BMW and Infiniti and they're all the same.
Old 08-18-07, 12:28 PM
cneeley
Rookie

Originally Posted by spin
The lexus does put you back in 1st, you just dont realize it. Set the cluster computer to tell you "Gear Placement" and you will see how it goes back down to first while the gear still says "6". Its retarded.
Well obviously the car downshifts to first but then when you start to accelerate it just shifts normally until you get to whatever gear your paddle shifter is held at. The audi you would have to tell the car to shift out of first again. I'm not explaining very well but instead of hitting the left paddle shift three or four times down to hold the car in first again at a stop the audi automatically holds it in first until you upshift again.
Old 08-18-07, 12:54 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by cneeley
Also if you're accelerating sort of hard but want to shift at 3-4k rpm's (I used to do this in the morning merging onto freeway before the engine was warmed up) in the lex it still just holds the gear even if you shift whereas the audi it would put you in any gear you wanted as long as it didn't go over redline or stall the car out. Definitely a lot more control. (This is from my experience from my 98 Audi a6.)
My Audi had a manual, but over my years of ownership I drove plenty of loaners with Tiptronic automatics. I like the Tiptronic system much better. Clicking the stick towards "+" would compel the Audi to upshift, doing the same on the Lex only permits the transmission to upshift (if the computer thinks it is a good idea).
Old 08-18-07, 01:40 PM
LexusTexas
Rookie

They do nothing for me on my 250 other than get in the way. I'm thinking of taking a dremel to them.
Old 08-18-07, 03:07 PM
mir
Driver

do not use them at all. It is annoying at best after driving MT cars for 15 years.
Old 08-18-07, 03:15 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

Not sure about other cars but they pretty much suck in the Lexus. Not even close to the feel of a manual. I used them a few times and realized what a joke they are and haven't touched them since.
Old 08-18-07, 03:56 PM
Tungsten25
Driver School Candidate

Default They Are Just For Show

The paddles are just devices to make people think the car is more sporty. They are just a conversation starting for people that have never seen them before. I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with paddles for my work car and they work much better better than the IS. I wish they felt more like the Lancer of the Mercedes SLK55 I drove, but I guess we can't get everything in one car.
Old 08-18-07, 05:31 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's really no technological reason they designed the manual mode to behave like this. The only reason I can think of is Lexus wants to protect itself from lawsuits in case some idiot decides to merge into heavy traffic in too high a gear and gets no power.

Quick Reply: IS Paddle Shifters Compared to Others