IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Recieved a $500 coupon from Dealer??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 04:05 PM
mrtrance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recieved a $500 coupon from Dealer??

I had been haggling over the price of a IS250 with internet manager yesterday and they wouldn't agree to my price. He told me that they wouldn't do the deal at my price. So I upped my offer by $200 and told him to present to the sales manager. I guess they didn't agree on that price either since he didn't call back. But like within 1 hour I get a email from that same dealership (from the Buiness Delevopment Director with my internet manager's name on bottom of email) that says the following:

Hi XXXXXXX,

Take Advantage of an additional $500.00* discount toward your trade in value or purchase of a new vehicle at XXXXXXXX, your choice. *This email discount coupon need not be presented until time of contract.* Offer expires 8/22/07

XXXXXXX is at it again… It's the Lexus Summer Sales Event going on right now at XXXXXXX! Due to special factory allocations, our selection of Lexus vehicles has never been better. But like summer it won't last forever. We are moving out our 2007 Lexus Models to make room for the new 2008 vehicles that will be arriving shortly. Please call or email us now to schedule an appointment to personally look at and test drive the World's Best Luxury Vehicle.

Do you guys think this is something they do for every customer or is it just a speical case for them to structure the deal where they are able to get their price and I get my price? Can I just offer them $500 more now since I would get that amount deducted from the purchase anyways? Will this $500 come from the dealership's pocket or will they get reimbursed from Lexus corporate marketing? Also this should apply to leases I assume since the purchase price is what the dealership gets whether a purchase or lease. Should I tell my sales rep that I received this email (since it has his name on the bottom of email) or present it at the end?

Last edited by mrtrance; 08-18-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-18-07, 04:10 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It says $500 good towards a trade in - do you have a trade? It looks like a general email they send everyone.

Why don't you just take the $32,600 offer - the lowest you got so far? From what I hear the '07's are almost all gone now and you don't want to get stuck with a crap leftover color no one wants. Good luck.
Old 08-18-07, 04:12 PM
mrtrance
Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
It says $500 good towards a trade in - do you have a trade? It looks like a general email they send everyone.

Why don't you just take the $32,600 offer - the lowest you got so far? From what I hear the '07's are almost all gone now and you don't want to get stuck with a crap leftover color no one wants. Good luck.
Take Advantage of an additional $500.00* discount toward your trade in value or purchase of a new vehicle at XXXXXXXX, your choice.
Old 08-18-07, 04:18 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by mrtrance
Take Advantage of an additional $500.00* discount toward your trade in value or purchase of a new vehicle at XXXXXXXX, your choice.
Ah okay, didn't see that part. So then why don't you print it out and go down there to pick up your new car? The extra $500 should put you right about where you want to be, yes?
Old 08-18-07, 04:21 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I agree, it seems like you got what you were looking for. Good luck and go get your car.
Old 08-18-07, 05:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Print the email out and go back to the dealer. Did they ever give you a counter offer on your offer?? Get the best price you can negotiate and then produce the email and ask for another $500. They may balk. This is one reason I don't like these coupon deals from the dealer as they are basically a gimmick device and are there to throw the customer off and make him think he is getting something for nothing.

But you'll have to be prepared to buy on the spot, don't negotiate and then tell them you'll 'think about it'. Good luck.
Old 08-18-07, 05:15 PM
mrtrance
Driver

Originally Posted by rfx45
^^ I agree, it seems like you got what you were looking for. Good luck and go get your car.
So should I tell my internet manager about it before I drive done there? We didn't exactly settle on a price yesterday so I don't know what kind of pricing they will settle on now. I should settle on a price first and then head over there correct? Or just tell him I will stop by to disucss price since I got this email discount as well? I'm wondering if I tell them about the coupon then they might offer me a much higher price now.
Old 08-18-07, 05:23 PM
VF84
Pole Position

usually internet managers work at home, so call him every hr or so. unless he turned off the cell, i'm sure he'd be bugg'd enough to answer ur call.
Old 08-18-07, 05:27 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
usually internet managers work at home, so call him every hr or so. unless he turned off the cell, i'm sure he'd be bugg'd enough to answer ur call.
Not in my experience. Most internet teams are at the dealers. But maybe it's different in other locales.
Old 08-18-07, 05:30 PM
mrtrance
Driver

Originally Posted by VF84
Do you think I should discuss the coupon with him on the phone? I wonder if he is aware I got the coupon since ithad his info on the bottom of email but was sent by the business director. I'm just thinking if this coupon is a way for them to sell me the car at a higher price now since the $500 is coming out of their pocket. If they are able to get remibursed for it by Lexus (maybe this dealership might have some internal marketing offers from corporate compared to others) then it wouldn't be a problem at all. What do you guys think?
Old 08-18-07, 06:08 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Call the internet sales guy or whomever you are working with and set appointment. Clarify the lowest and last price you were offered, bring anything you got in writing with you to dealership. Do not mention the coupon.

Once you get there, present the $500 coupon so the price gets down to where you wanted it to be. They should honor that deal.

FYI, the coupon is from the dealership as a way to "close" any deals that didn't happen (i.e. you). It's not a reimbursement from Lexus Factory, but they should honor it otherwise it's false advertising. The Business Development Center or whatever it's called is just the people who answer all incoming sales calls and field them out to sales department. You must have called to inquire about price and given out your information.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-18-07, 06:48 PM
mrtrance
Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Call the internet sales guy or whomever you are working with and set appointment. Clarify the lowest and last price you were offered, bring anything you got in writing with you to dealership. Do not mention the coupon.

Once you get there, present the $500 coupon so the price gets down to where you wanted it to be. They should honor that deal.

FYI, the coupon is from the dealership as a way to "close" any deals that didn't happen (i.e. you). It's not a reimbursement from Lexus Factory, but they should honor it otherwise it's false advertising. The Business Development Center or whatever it's called is just the people who answer all incoming sales calls and field them out to sales department. You must have called to inquire about price and given out your information.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the information. If they try to say we already gave you a discount under invoice and we can't honor the email what should I do then (although it does mention that it need be presented until they are writing the contract which would mean an agreed upon price)? Any advice?? Is there a way for them to weasel out of the coupon in that they might say it's for purchases only not leases (although in either case they get their purchase price for the vehicle from bank anyways).
Old 08-18-07, 10:33 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Do not mention the coupon. It says specifically when you present the coupon. That means, do your best deal, then show it.

It likely will work as a down payment on a lease, if it's anything like the Taste of Lexus coupon. It also means the sales tax on your car will be before the coupon.

But that $500 belongs to you. Don't just give it back to the dealer.

And don't be so proud that you can't walk away from a deal before signature. It's your money and you need to be completely satisfied with the things you can control. There is always room to back out until you sign the papers. And there are plenty of other dealers to go to if this one gets pissed at you.

(but yes, don't be an *** and negotiate with the dealer just to test the waters. negotiate the price you are willing to pay that day.)

Last edited by sirkfc; 08-18-07 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 09:16 AM
vr666m
Rookie

Do you guys think this is something they do for every customer or is it just a speical case for them to structure the deal where they are able to get their price and I get my price? Can I just offer them $500 more now since I would get that amount deducted from the purchase anyways? Will this $500 come from the dealership's pocket or will they get reimbursed from Lexus corporate marketing? Also this should apply to leases I assume since the purchase price is what the dealership gets whether a purchase or lease. Should I tell my sales rep that I received this email (since it has his name on the bottom of email) or present it at the end?
this is an annual promotion that they send to every email / physical address they have. It's not a special case. It's a Taste of Lexus promotion (which is going on now). They already know they sent that to you.
Old 08-19-07, 10:36 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Thanks for the information. If they try to say we already gave you a discount under invoice and we can't honor the email what should I do then (although it does mention that it need be presented until they are writing the contract which would mean an agreed upon price)? Any advice?? Is there a way for them to weasel out of the coupon in that they might say it's for purchases only not leases (although in either case they get their purchase price for the vehicle from bank anyways).
If this is the dealer who offered $32,600, you should be able to present that coupon and get car for $32,100 - whether cash, lease, or finance.

The $500 will come off the selling price or cap cost - no matter over or below invoice. They should honor their own advertising. Of course there's always a possibility of them trying to weasel out of honoring it, which is why you should not mention the coupon until you get there. So there's no chance of them saying "oh we already gave you discount, remember?" This way, there's no possible way they already gave you discount because you haven't told them yet - right?
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Recieved a $500 coupon from Dealer??