IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 10:35 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS install question

I probably should have sprung for the nav system, but 2k seemed like a lot at the time. I'm thinking that I'd like to get either the nuvi 660 or the new Tomtom 720 gps system for about $500. My question is if it's possible to hotwire the gps into the fuse box under the dash so that I don't have to run a wire to the 12v plug. Do you need a special wire to hook it up? Is there an open spot in the fuse box? Or is it easier to just take it to a car stereo shop and pay them to do it? I've never wired anything like this before and could use some advise.

Figure I'd use a friction mount on the dash in the far left hand side so that it would also hide the registration stickers. From there it's easy to run the wire down the side of the dash to the fuse box. I really don't like the systems that hang off the windows.

Also, any advice on the Tomtom vs. the Nuvi? Both come highly rated, but not sure about the cost of map updates.
Old 08-19-07, 10:59 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it sucks that you didnt get it and now wish that you had, but as far as after market goes if it were me I would wait until there is a dash kit to give you a double din mounting option.

Now about your questions, I dont know about tapping into the fuse box but I have tapped into the back of the front cigarette lighter from behind it for 12V power. You can use this thread to help you get to it.

If you waited for a dash mount kit you could something like this:

This way it would be removable (since that is important to a lot of people) and its TomTom which is supposed to be one of the best out there.
Old 08-19-07, 11:39 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

If I had to do it again, I still don't think I would have bought the nav system. For that money, I got the front lip, sport pedals, illuminated scuff plate, had them installed, and a separate gps system and pay for insurance for almost a year. But I do like my tech toys and wanted to have a gps wired in the car and have the option to take it to the other car. What I'd really like to see is a new Tomtom or nuvi that gets xm music radio. I've searched but can't find one that will do it.
Thanks for the info/suggestion.
Old 08-19-07, 03:26 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTexas
If I had to do it again, I still don't think I would have bought the nav system.
I hear you. But it is kind of cool to just hit the Voice button on the steering wheel and say HOME and it will direct you to your front door with no further interaction.
Old 08-19-07, 05:54 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the TomTom One XL, and really like it. I don't think you need to pay for any updates, as it's all online. You just plug the nav unit into your USB slot, and it will update whatever it needs.
Old 11-02-07, 11:52 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I just got the TomTom One XL, and really like it. I don't think you need to pay for any updates, as it's all online. You just plug the nav unit into your USB slot, and it will update whatever it needs.
+1 on the TomTom One XL. Big screen ftw! I like mines a lot, it works well. I usually just stick it to where the A beam is. It is a bit of a trouble having to take it out, plugging it in the cig lighter and removing it afterwards. But i get manage.

But having to plug it into the cig lighter everytime is a serious pain in the @ss. And to make matters worse, you can't even plug anything to the compartment adapter unless you leave the cover all the way back, it's so stupid.
Old 11-03-07, 08:16 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

WOW. Thanks nice!
Old 11-03-07, 10:21 AM
clerk
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same boat and just had a GPS hardwired in the same spot you're looking at. They took apart my entire dash and ran the wire from the cigarette lighter. I assume if they could have tapped into the fuse box they would have.
Old 11-05-07, 03:54 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I hear you. But it is kind of cool to just hit the Voice button on the steering wheel and say HOME and it will direct you to your front door with no further interaction.
Yeah but you can't do that while driving unless you did the nav hack.