IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extra fuses???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 11:50 AM
PW007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra fuses???

I have a 350 and one of my 15A fuses blew. I checked the passenger-side, driver's-side, and engine bay fuse locations and couldn't find any extra fuses or a fuse removal tool. I thought it was standard for all car to come with some extra fuses and a fuse removal tool. Am I just not looking in the right place? Can anyone help?
Old 08-19-07, 12:53 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't find any extra fuse either.
Old 08-19-07, 01:52 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the manual says the fuse puller is in the engine bay fuse box. I remember it looking really odd and not like what I thought a fuse puller would look like. I dont recall anything about extra fuses though. Might not be a bad idea to go to kragen or somewhere and pick up one or two of each size.
Old 08-19-07, 02:55 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no extra fuses in this car. Kinda stupid, but that's reality.
Old 08-19-07, 03:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee, I can't remember the last time I had a blown fuse from normal operation. I have Lexus Roadside protection, why should I be expected to dig into the fuse box if something goes out?? I'm calling Lexus and have them sort it out!! 99%+ of Lexus owners are NOT going to tackle this alongside the road.

Originally Posted by PW007
I have a 350 and one of my 15A fuses blew. I checked the passenger-side, driver's-side, and engine bay fuse locations and couldn't find any extra fuses or a fuse removal tool. I thought it was standard for all car to come with some extra fuses and a fuse removal tool. Am I just not looking in the right place? Can anyone help?
So, what were you monkeying around with that caused the fuse to blow??
Old 08-19-07, 05:54 PM
PW007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Gee, I can't remember the last time I had a blown fuse from normal operation. I have Lexus Roadside protection, why should I be expected to dig into the fuse box if something goes out?? I'm calling Lexus and have them sort it out!! 99%+ of Lexus owners are NOT going to tackle this alongside the road.

So, what were you monkeying around with that caused the fuse to blow??
Aren't we a little presumptuous? First, the fuse blew for the power outlet in the middle console from a phone charger unexpectedly going bad. Second, I am not that helpless where I need to waste time calling lexus roadside. It really is a simple diagnosis that only take some logic. And third, I wouldn't exactly call checking the fuse in my garage as "tackling this alongside the road." However, thanks for the helpful input.
Old 08-19-07, 06:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PW007
Aren't we a little presumptuous? First, the fuse blew for the power outlet in the middle console from a phone charger unexpectedly going bad. Second, I am not that helpless where I need to waste time calling lexus roadside. It really is a simple diagnosis that only take some logic. And third, I wouldn't exactly call checking the fuse in my garage as "tackling this alongside the road." However, thanks for the helpful input.
Well, it was caused by something external to the Lexus itself, so I'm half right. I agree that changing a fuse is not that difficult, but even in the garage most Lexus owners don't want to crawl around and try to figure out why something isn't working. That's why Lexus doesn't include spare fuses, and it saves a little money for them. I'm not sure but are other automakers providing extras these days? As I said I can't remember the last time I blew a fuse. Electrical circuits on Japanese cars are pretty robust these days so I guess they figure why bother with spares.

This thread is similar to one a few months ago when someone wondered why Lexus doesn't provide an underhood trouble light. Probably for a similar reason as no fuses; owners aren't going under the hood if a problem develops, they are going to send smoke signals to roadside assistance. I guess many of us have become lazier than in the past.
Old 08-19-07, 07:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every other Lexus car has a fuse puller and extra fuses. I'm actually sursprised the IS doesn't have it considering the car is targeted toward younger buyers whom might be more inclined to replace a simply blown fuse more so than an LS owner. My LS400 has extra fuses and a fuse puller. Even complety stock cars can blow fuses for a number of reason.