IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gas mileage on is350

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 03:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go fill the tank up to the brim, zero out the counters, and see how it goes from there. 12.5mpg is abysmal. I can get 28mpg on the highway, but average about 26.5mpg overall (80% highway, 20% city).
Old 08-19-07, 05:55 PM
omd316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks guys ill try resetting the counters and fill the tank up and see how it goes
Old 08-19-07, 05:57 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

24-25 in town and 28-29 on the highway and I in no way drive easy. You computer is screwed up if it's saying 12.5. No other explanation about it.
Old 08-19-07, 06:25 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got 31.8 mpg on the way back from the lexus meet at the Dragon today 4.5 hrs of driving at 75 to 80 mph
Old 08-19-07, 06:40 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I get about 13.2 to 13.7 mpg which is not much better. I believe that the reason for this is because most of my driving is in terrible Los Angeles traffic, and my trips are fairly short (no more than 5 miles usually) and I rarely need to go on the freeway. Also, I drive spiritedly when the traffic is less. So your mileage may be normal unless most of your driving is on the freeway or in light traffic. I know Florida's traffic can't be as bad as here. Some mornings it takes 15 minutes just to cover 2 miles cause of the traffic.
Old 08-19-07, 06:43 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by maz
I get about 13.2 to 13.7 mpg which is not much better. I believe that the reason for this is because most of my driving is in terrible Los Angeles traffic, and my trips are fairly short (no more than 5 miles usually) and I rarely need to go on the freeway. Also, I drive spiritedly when the traffic is less. So your mileage may be normal unless most of your driving is on the freeway or in light traffic. I know Florida's traffic can't be as bad as here. Some mornings it takes 15 minutes just to cover 2 miles cause of the traffic.
yea floridas no where nearly as bad as LA but there is a fair amount of traffic and I dont really need to get on the freeway much but even then .. 12.5 is way below what it should be but will try filling up and resetting counters to see whats going on
Old 08-19-07, 06:46 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I had a similar incident. I filled up my gas tank, and my tank average reset itself. When I pulled out of the gas station, I immediately stopped at a stop light. I saw my tank average was like 8.5.

I was TOTALLY freaking out and called my dealer immediately before the light even turned green. He tried to blow me off and tell me it wasn't a big deal and it'll get better as I drive the car more. I knew he was lying to me, because he's a car dealer. So I called corporate to see if they would give me a loaner car while they checked out my mileage problem and they weren't helpful either.

I am so disappointed in Lexus.

(not really)
Old 08-19-07, 06:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Yeah, I had a similar incident. I filled up my gas tank, and my tank average reset itself. When I pulled out of the gas station, I immediately stopped at a stop light. I saw my tank average was like 8.5.

I was TOTALLY freaking out and called my dealer immediately before the light even turned green. He tried to blow me off and tell me it wasn't a big deal and it'll get better as I drive the car more. I knew he was lying to me, because he's a car dealer. So I called corporate to see if they would give me a loaner car while they checked out my mileage problem and they weren't helpful either.

Your dealer wasn't lying. If you fill up, drive out of the station and immediately stop at a light the mpg counter will show a very low number as it is burning fuel but not showing any distance travelled. As soon as you start moving it rises rapidly.
Old 08-19-07, 07:10 PM
NGG
Pole Position

The moral of all these anecdotes: Electronic infocenter is just a guide and a marketing toy. It is based on myriad calculations and therefore at times just gives either a snapshot, an average or an approximation.

The best way to calculate fuel consumption is to fill the tank to the top of the fill pipe, zero the trip meter(counter), when near empty fill the tank again, divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the amount of gallons put in the tank on the second fill. Voila!...mpg for that tank of gas. Can't go wrong with this method...unless the math is beyond you>
Old 08-19-07, 07:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc

I am so disappointed in Lexus.

(not really)
You are being sarcastic right? I'm guessing so because it is pretty obvious why your average tank MPG showed only 8.5 one traffic light from the gas station.

If not, do you remember what the gas mileage read at the next stop light
Old 08-19-07, 07:43 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Can you guys not see the "(not really)"?
Old 08-19-07, 08:03 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Your dealer wasn't lying. If you fill up, drive out of the station and immediately stop at a light the mpg counter will show a very low number as it is burning fuel but not showing any distance travelled. As soon as you start moving it rises rapidly.
I'm totally being sarcastic. I just wanted to say "I am disappointed in Lexus." as that seems to be a popular phrase here these days.
Old 08-19-07, 08:07 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NGG
The best way to calculate fuel consumption is to fill the tank to the top of the fill pipe, zero the trip meter(counter), when near empty fill the tank again, divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the amount of gallons put in the tank on the second fill. Voila!...mpg for that tank of gas. Can't go wrong with this method...unless the math is beyond you>
I do believe this is the best way to calculate mileage, but it's not without its variables either... I never really learned how the gas pump clicks off, but I would imagine it doesn't do so at the exact same time each time. Plus, would each pump be slightly different in sensitivity? And would the outside temperature affect the pressure reading. Finally, you can't be sure that the gas station is giving you precisely the right amount of gas as they are not constantly being checked.

But yeah, you'll be within .5 MPG on a full tank, I guess.
Old 08-19-07, 10:06 PM
omd316
Driver

im not dissappointed at lexus at all ... very pleased so far actually but this gas thing is a little crazy lol